My first "I did it!"... check out this seat.

WhatAboutPuppy

Who am I!?!
l_3ae86611d8a94adca8fa8db6ce6fc751.jpg

Here's my profile... I don't feel whole without all my stickers... sigh... I felt so safe with them, like everyone knew how to use me correctly with them.
l_d8c8c8f409284eed8829fd433437cfa4.jpg

Have you SEEN my lowest harness slots, there's no way this is safe!!!
l_43ce1a1654b84cdcb870e515e76897d2.jpg

Just think, if your child weighed 30 lbs and we were in a 30 mph crash, that's 900 lbs of pressure, right there!! That'd pull the straps right out! Check to make sure your harness is connected correctly!!
l_48a688ea480642c397699729a5b0d56e.jpg

l_e35fe22b67c642c69e478df2ffa93ff6.jpg

So the 6 year old little girl with almost exactly the same measurements as my DSS1 (look in siggy) was riding in this seat until last weekend!! Dad kept her in this seat because he had only lap belts in the back seat, he was aware that a lap belt was unsafe for her age!
My fiance was awesome, I was so nervous of telling his friend how unsafe his daughter was... so while I was putting DSS2 to bed I heard him talking to his friend, he talked about how much researched I'd done, how concerned I was, how I've signed up to become a certified technician and how I'd been in contact for quite some time about his daughter with a technician (Judi) and that I'd be talking to him soon. :D
So I brought it up by telling him I'd found a solution to making his lap belts safe for his daughter. I told him about the 86Y harness and how he'd have to install/drill into his car to install the tether. I showed him the website, the pictures. I gave him one of our spare HBB and informed him that the lap belt alone is safer than the front seat with a HBB. I told him about how seats expired, he had no clue! He asked why, cuz the plastic degrades, he said it made perfect sense! He asked for the info on getting the harness; which I'd already hunted down, made a phone call, found out the price, price of shipping, if it was instock, if it'd work for his car and situation. :thumbsup:

He left the car seat with us to destroy. She went home in lap belt only, HBB in the trunk, fiance hasn't talked to him but my guess is he's already got the harness... maybe even already installed. :love:

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Oh, the pic! I have a couple of those! Love the retractor!

Oh, and it is a Fisher Price, and that is the RFing belt path.

WhatAboutPuppy

Judi, I haven't adjusted anything!! She was riding at that harness height... with the straps pulled all the way loose!! gah! There was mold on the strap under the seat.

It has a top tether though... is it not as old as I thought?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Awesome! Though I know that HBB in front seat vs. lap belt only in back seat is always a debate (and in some states there are laws that would mean that a HBB in front seat must be used until the 86-y came unless there was an adult passenger in the front, etc.) But we won't get into that. ;)

WhatAboutPuppy

In Oregon it is my understanding that the booster law is waived if only lap belts are provided in the back. And I told him about the debate of the booster in front, I also added that my DSS1 rides front seat in his mom's car in a HBB... Loooooooooong story as to why he's not safe! Please please please don't go there!

scatterbunny

Yes, there is an exemption from the booster seat law in Oregon if there are only lapbelts in the back seat.

Good for you for making a difference. I hope the 86Y arrives quickly and works well for them.

MoreLatte

I think the seat in the original post is a Century? My old Fisher Price T-shield didn't have a tether.

Congrats on helping him out! So glad she will be safe. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

FrogJuice

I actually had that exact seat for DD1 I bought it from kmart in 2001, it had a top tether and was a century.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I actually had that exact seat for DD1 I bought it from kmart in 2001, it had a top tether and was a century.

i kept staring at the T shield. Thought I saw Century, but yesterday was inventory and dang was I out of it!

WhatAboutPuppy

Yeah, in person you can tell it says century but I wasn't sure what the name of the seat itself was, just the brand. I wanted to know what year... 2001. I didn't know they made t-shields that long.....

Thanks!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC