Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member InternationalMama's Avatar

Luftikid? (inflatable car seat)

I'm fascinated by this: http://www.luftikid.de/

It's like an inflatable car seat and they make one model for use in public/ground transport (busses, taxis, etc.) and one model for use in planes. You can even rent them for trips.

Has anybody ever used one? Or even seen one?

I found this discussion in English: http://daddytypes.com/2006/07/25/luf...tic_bubble.php

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Re: Luftikid? (inflatable car seat)

That is the one that did nothing to actually protect a kid in a crash. There are test results on the aoemt? site I think. I know there are inflatable ones available for use in ambulances and such, true 5 point ones.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

CPS Fanatic

I find that seat really funny because it just doesn't seem safe to me at least.

CPS Technician

That kid doesn't seem to look very comfortable.
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

CPS Technician

That scares me.
    Jessi, CPST: 2003 Honda Pilot, 2010 Toyota Corolla
    T 12/12/06 49" 55 lbs D 1/8/09 44" 50 lbs
    In Use:2 PKWY SGLs, FR80, GN, HB TB Teaching seats: Titan 65, Lite Rider Retired: Wizard, 2 33 lb MA's, 2 50 lb CAs, 3 XTSLs, Regent
    PetBuckle Review Here

Do you have a link for the tests it failed? I couldn't find anything on Google although it makes sense that there must be something wrong with it or we'd be seeing more like this. Not to mention I agree that it just doesn't look safe with only the seatbelt holding everything in place, more like an inflatable booster seat but approved for 9 months and up.

It past all the tests for Germany and the EU and it looks like since I wrote my original post they've come out with a new model that can be used in both cars and planes.

I can't imagine my DS actually being willing to sit in it...

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

http://www.adac.de/Tests/Kindersiche...ePageID=147654

THis isn't the one I was talking about. I can't find that one right now. But if we can find someone that can translate...But it doesn't look promising. ANd you can check the tabelle, that has all seats tested and their grades I guess.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Thanks! I clicked around on their website for awhile and they said that this seat completely failed their side-impact crash test and that they think in a side-impact crash the child would be seriously injured. They said that the EU approval only requires front-impact crash tests. So that's probably what you were remembering.

I should have been googling in Germany.