Question Good Values in Used Cars w/ LATCH?

B

Benjamin Bunny

What used car, probably a wagon, should I buy? I want LATCH. It sounds like most, but not all, cars were LATCH-equipped by 2003, a few earlier (Impreza?).

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My Forester (manual transmission) averaged in the high 20s in mixed driving. That wasn't terrific, but for a car its size, I didn't think it was "pretty awful".

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We like our Outback. It's just that AWD takes its toll on fuel economy. We get around 20mpg or higher in the city. On the high way, it's in the upper 20s. On the other hand, my Odyssey gets the same mileage on the highway.

"Awful" is relative, of course. Compared to a typical SUV, it's a reasonable choice. On the other hand, it's at the lower end of comparable midsize vehicles.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
To expand a bit on Saturn wagons as a former Saturn owner (we owned a series of 5 different Saturn models prior to our current non-Saturn vehicles), Saturn L-series midsize wagons have fairly low prices on the used car market as they weren't particularly high demand vehicles when they were available new. :eek: L-series' depreciation took another hit due to their discontinuation around the 2003/2004 model year, not to mention Saturn's likely fate of being phased out altogether as a brand by 2011. :eek: The Saturn '02 and newer L-series models have 3 full sets of LATCH which may be used simultaneously to install up to 3 carseats. However, on the negative side of the coin, a lower rear seatback lacking headrests could pose an issue for rear seat occupants who would otherwise pass the 5-step test to ride in the adult-sized seatbelt alone or for child restraints that require the vehicle seatback or a vehicle headrest to be at least as tall as the forward facing occupant's ears (some forward facing Dorel branded carseats have this requirement), and at least the '02 model year L-series wagon had a lap-only belt in the center rear seating position, which may also be true of the more recent L-series wagons. A lap-only belt can be used to install a harnessed child restraint only, not a belt positioning booster seat or an adult-sized passenger. The L-series sedan version had a lap-shoulder belt in the '02 model year when we purchased one, FWIW. Also on the negative side of the coin, the Saturn L-series models don't have stellar side impact crash scores from IIHS even with side curtain airbags based on the IIHS' poor side impact rating for the L-series sedan model. :(

If you're considering a smaller Saturn S-series wagon that pre-dates the mid-sized L-series Saturns, those are pretty tight in the back seat, their manufacture ceased prior to implementing lower LATCH anchors in the back seat, they have a relatively low rear seatback lacking headrests and a lap-only belt for the center rear seating position, and the rear seatbelts that are forward of the seat bight (the crease where the vehicle seatback and vehicle seat cushion meet) making them not so friendly for carseat installations. Great gas mileage, though, which I do miss at times, especially when gas hit $4/gallon last year.

MANDY1234

I have a chevy malibu maxx. 3 latch, 3 tether, easy 3 across! Awesome trunk space (hatch back) I believe that that were fist made in 03 or 04 and are all the same. I have the 05. Good gas mileage. I love it fun to drive also :thumbsup:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Do you know about the special rules Chevrolet has for the 2005-2007 Malibu Maxx? Apparently, there is only one anchor in the center position and the 2009 LATCH manual states:

2nd Row Center: Use inboard lower anchor from driver's side to install CR. Two CRs cannot be attached to one lower anchor. If center LATCH is used, driver-side seating position cannot be occupied using either LATCH or seatbelt.

If your Malibu Maxx is between 2005-2007, I think you need to install the center carseat with seatbelt (and top tether, if applicable).

MANDY1234

Do you know about the special rules Chevrolet has for the 2005-2007 Malibu Maxx? Apparently, there is only one anchor in the center position and the 2009 LATCH manual states:

If your Malibu Maxx is between 2005-2007, I think you need to install the center carseat with seatbelt (and top tether, if applicable).

Sorry should have said that part lol I only knew there was 3 Latch because someone on here said something ;) Not because I could find them... I use the belt in the middle because it was easier with 3 across... The car is fairly easy to fit 3 across with different seats though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC