Is the Britax customer service rep right?

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I just called Britax to find out when the Decathlon switched over to 35 pounds RF. I know the Marathon/Boulevard did in early 2008, but I know the Decathlon didn't then. It's now listed to 35 pounds on the Britax website as pointed out to me on the main board.

The rep told me that all the seats always tested to 35 pounds, but that they put 33 pounds to leave a little wiggle room for parents so that the seat was okay if their "babies" were 34 pounds and they didn't realize it. She then told me they haven't been 33 pounds since 2007. When I pointed out that the Marathon/Boulevard change went into effect in 2008, and I just wanted the date for the Decathlon, she again told me that they were always tested to 35 pounds. When I pointed out that I wanted to know when the actual stickers were changed on the Decathlon, she said that I COULD follow the 33 pounds on a old sticker if I WANTED to. I again asked for a date, and she did not know when the date of change for the Decathlon was. I gave up.

Basically, the rep was saying the RF limit had always (or at least since 2007, she changed her story) been 35 pounds no matter what the sticker said. I thought that Britax had said the change was not retroactive, that people had to follow what the limit for the individual seat was. Is the change retroactive?

ADS

mykidsmylife

I have heard this before and been told the same thing before. They are tested at 35lbs rf.
I was told it was a personal choice but I don't recall what the others were told.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Basically, the rep was saying the RF limit had always (or at least since 2007, she changed her story) been 35 pounds no matter what the sticker said. I thought that Britax had said the change was not retroactive, that people had to follow what the limit for the individual seat was. Is the change retroactive?

My understanding is that the RF weight limit on the Britax convertibles was raised to 35 lbs without any structural changes, meaning that they didn't make any changes to the seat in order to achieve that higher limit. However, the change is NOT retroactive, so if the sticker on your seat indicates a RF weight limit of 35 lbs, that is what you should follow. (I have a MA that was manufactured just a couple of weeks before they started using the 35 lb sticker, and I will switch DD to FF when she is close to 33 lbs.)

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I have heard this before and been told the same thing before. They are tested at 35lbs rf.
I was told it was a personal choice but I don't recall what the others were told.
Ooh, interesting. I hadn't heard this before, so it's intriguing to hear that is what they are saying to others.

My understanding is that the RF weight limit on the Britax convertibles was raised to 35 lbs without any structural changes, meaning that they didn't make any changes to the seat in order to achieve that higher limit. However, the change is NOT retroactive, so if the sticker on your seat indicates a RF weight limit of 35 lbs, that is what you should follow. (I have a MA that was manufactured just a couple of weeks before they started using the 35 lb sticker, and I will switch DD to FF when she is close to 33 lbs.)

Thanks for confirming that it's not retroactive. Although, I swear I had read somewhere on here that Sarah Tilton said there were some changes between the seats that allowed for the weight limit to change? Either way, I was mostly curious. I'll definitely follow the stickers on my seats (I have a 33-lb Boulevard).

lorinick

If the seat wasn't changed or anything done different to the seat why can't you just use it rf to 35lb since they didn't chage anything. I have a BV 35lb and a MA 33lb bought within weeks of each other. So why couldn't I use the MA till 35lb if they tested both seats the same? Not saying I would do this just wondering.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Well, it would be illegal. But aside from that, AFAIK, Britax has never *confirmed* that there are no structural changes to the seat. Some of us are pretty sure there were no actual changes, but "pretty sure" wouldn't be good enough for me to go over the stated limits.

Maedze

To the best of my knowledge the Decathalon was NEVER certified to 35, only 33. All the other convertibles have the 35 limit, just not the DC.

melniemi

I have a 33# and a 35# marathon. There are differences. The latch bars are different and the 35# one has rubber grips on the bottom of the base. I would only use it to what it is stickered to.

cpsaddict

I have a 33# and a 35# marathon. There are differences. The latch bars are different and the 35# one has rubber grips on the bottom of the base. I would only use it to what it is stickered to.

My 33lb 12/07 Marathon has the rubber grips on the bottom. :confused: Weird.

melniemi

I wonder if mine does. I think it's a 12/07 too. I'll have to check again. The latch bars are texturized on the 35# one and smooth on the 33# one.

BW1426

This is odd to me. If they just changed the stickers and didn't actually change anything about the seat, whey didn't they change the DC to 35 as well.

I just figured that because it wasn't retroactive there were changes made.

teacher01

I have 2 dc, and since the harness straps are fraying, again, I needed to call. I asked them when the dc was changed to 35 lbs and was put on hold for a looooong time. When she came back, she said that it changed in the fall of 08.

marjen

Ugh...now I'm confused. I called Britax today to ask about this very thing. The person I talked to (didn't get their name or position) said that the seats were tested to 35 pounds, and that it was retroactive. She said that no matter what the sticker said...it could be rearfaced to 35 pounds. My seat is a July 2007 DOM. My daughter is really tall...she may outgrow the MA by height before weight, so it may not matter...but they need to get an official answer so people aren't so confused.

Is there anybody at Britax that can give a definitive answer??? Or does it have to be published to really be official?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If there is confusion between using a seat against the sticker/manual instructions and not, I would always lean toward "not" until they officially publish clarification.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Bree, did you get a name? Also, if anyone has a problem with a customer service person at Britax, I have an email addy for you.

Pixels

There is no difference in the FMVSS 213 testing standard for seats that are stickered to 33 pounds vs 35 pounds. They go through the same tests with the same dummies.

I don't know the reasoning behind stickering to 33 pounds or 35 pounds, but they did. I am not going to advise you to go against what the seat is labeled.

skylinphoto

I wouldn't go against the sticker on the seat...
unless they provide written documentation ("could you send me a letter stating that?")...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC