Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

ISO convertible for a very small 7 mth old.

I currently have a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant. We have our older DD FF in a Britax Boulevard in the rear passenger seat. We are looking to replace our 7 mth old's (14.5 lbs, 25 1/4 in) orbit baby infant seat with a convertible. I am torn between the radian XT, true fit, and another blvd. The issue we had with the BLVD was that it took up too much space RF and rendered the passenger seat useless. Also, we have a backless booster in for my step-daughter (Combi Dakota) one day each week. It would be helpful to have a narrower seat (Radian?) so that her booster would fit without the removal of either convertible. How do these seats compare? I'm open to new suggestions as well. Please help!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: ISO convertible for a very small 7 mth old.

The Radian takes up more room than the Blvd length-wise since it's a very tall seat, but I beleive the new XTs can be installed more upright which will help.

I love the TF but it is really wide. What about handing the Blvd down to the baby and getting your older kiddo a FF-only seat like the Nautilus or Frontier?
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Just curious...Is there a reason you've ruled out the Orbit Toddler seat? After all, you've already made the financial investment on the base.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I've installed seats in that car before. The owner, like you, had Boulevards. She got a TF and sold her Boulevards. There was a lot more room in the TFs. However there wasn't a lot of room between them for a third seat.

The Radian may work, but it's so tall and the backseat so not large that you may have trouble. You might get it to work in the center of your backseat with the Boulevard and booster outboard. The Radian can go between the front seats if necessary. Or use the Radian FFing and the Boulevard RFing.

You might also want to look into the Scenera. It's narrow with a tall shell, but it doesn't sit up high and it's easier to adjust the angle.

I don't know how the Orbit Toddler seat would work size wise, but I'd look into it. I don't thin it's terribly wide.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

We bought the orbit toddler car seat before the BLVD. It's now in grandma's car. The belts gets twisted very easily (i've spent 20 minutes untwisting before being able to pull off), it's difficult to install (it sits too high when installed on the base and therefore, needs to be installed with seat belts), my DD sweats like mad in it.. and we've recently purchased a double stroller to accommodate both of my DDs and we're looking to sell the orbit (to offset the purchase price of said double stroller), including the infant car seat, toddler car seat, and toddler stroller seat. I'm much happier with the BLVD. If i can find a buyer for the orbit system, I'd pass the BLVD on to grandma, have the baby RF in a true fit and older daughter FF in the radian? I think. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the responses!

I send you a PM about the orbit system. I am interested.

I would really look into a Nautlius for your older DD if it would fit. If you have to buy her a new seat anyway, might as well get one that will last her until she's ready for the seatbelt alone.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris