Quick - opinions on 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

Mama Jo

I'm getting ready to buy a 2006 Kia Sedona, and I came across a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan for the same price. Any opinions???

ADS

Pixels

How does the mileage compare on the two vehicles?

Kias lose a ton in initial value. Dodges not quite so much, so I am wondering why a 2 year newer vehicle is the same price.

I drove an '86 Dodge Caravan (not Grand) from '99-'02. It was my Grandmother's before that, and she had put 128,000 miles on it. I put an additional 25,000 miles on it to bring it up to 153,000 before it started getting unreliable. My uncle had an '89 that he put 250,000 miles on before replacing it (with another Caravan). So my impression, at least of the older ones, is that they go forever.

April

I'm driving a 2000 Grand Caravan with 177,000 miles on it as a temporary vehicle while I wait for my Windstar. It drives FABULOUS.

Mama Jo

How does the mileage compare on the two vehicles?

Kias lose a ton in initial value. Dodges not quite so much, so I am wondering why a 2 year newer vehicle is the same price.

I drove an '86 Dodge Caravan (not Grand) from '99-'02. It was my Grandmother's before that, and she had put 128,000 miles on it. I put an additional 25,000 miles on it to bring it up to 153,000 before it started getting unreliable. My uncle had an '89 that he put 250,000 miles on before replacing it (with another Caravan). So my impression, at least of the older ones, is that they go forever.

The mileage on the Dodge is considered "high" - 40,000 for on 08. I think only just a few more than that on the 06 Kia. I think the Dodge has been on the lot for awhile, it was a trade in. They just marked it down a few thousand and will be sending it to the auto auction next week if it doesn't sell. (My dad knows someone who works on the lot.) Also the Kia and the Dodge are through different dealers.

I wasn't even considering the Dodge before, but at $12,500 for an 08, I think it's at least worth looking at.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We adored our 08... only sold it because we were downsizing. I'd pick the Dodge over a Kia any day... but I'm not a fan of Kia to begin with. :eek:

One of my favourite mommy features is that the driver's window has auto down *and* auto up... no more holding the window button up to close while manouvering out of the drive-through (whether it's food/bank/ect.).

Heather98012

I'd pick the Kia every day of the week & twice on Sunday. As long as it's the newer body style....that style got great safety ratings. As in....the safest on the road.

Plus, Dodge is in jeopardy of being discontinued. I've read that Chrysler is considering getting rid of all makes other than Chrysler & Jeep.

I drove a 08 Grand Caravan on vacation last year for a week. It did the job...but there was no way I'd buy it. It was totally unimpressive, IMO.

Heather98012

The Chrysler Town & Country is the same as a Dodge Caravan, just different badge and a higher trim level.

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that Chrysler Corp. is considering discontinuing all Dodge vehicles & only keeping Jeep & Chrysler. If I was gonna get one of their vans (& I wouldn't), I'd get a T&C. No use in getting a Dodge if they're gonna be gone in a few years, thereby making the already bad resale value totally nonexistent. I mean, there's a reason the 08 Caravan is only 12k.

Mama Jo

I haven't made a decision yet. I was going to sign the papers on the Kia and then I found the Dodge and now I still don't know what I'm going to do.

I don't care much about the resale value. It won't be worth anything by the time I'm finished with it anyway, regardless of which one I get. I put a lot of miles on my cars. (My 04 Malibu has about 175k miles on it if that tells you anything...) It just has to get me to the end of the loan (or close enough) when I'll turn it in for something else.

I don't like the bench seat in the middle row of the Grand Caravan as much as the captain's chairs in the Sedona. I also like that the Sedona has one more seating location with LATCH. I need to get 5 carseats in there. And the safety ratings. I really don't know anything about the Dodge. Other than I like the way it looks, and I like the price.

I'll make a decision tomorrow. I haven't even driven the Grand Caravan yet, so I might try to do that over my lunch.

firemomof3

We're in the same boat as you. I would skip the Caravan and go with the Kia. The Kia has 2 rear tethers in the 3rd row and the Caravans only have 1 :thumbsdown:
I have an 03 Kia Sedona with 100K miles and we've had no issues with it and its great in the snow.
After looking at every minivan out there (this has been a 6mo. process) we have decided on the 8 passenger Sienna. I would rather have a Toyota with 65K miles than a Dodge with 6K miles...its a simple fact that foreign cars are better made :(

Mama Jo

So this was a complete waste of time and now I'm kicking myself for second-guessing myself. I had decided to get the Kia, but both the Kia and the Dodge are gone now. lol

So maybe that was for the best, because I'm wondering if I even "knew" what I was getting in the first place... I'm going to start a new thread now because I have another Kia question... sorry for being a PITA!! lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC