Walking Wings

Pixels

Anybody ever use them? DD wants to walk all the time, but she's short, and it kills my back. I'm tempted, but don't want to shell out 25 bucks if it's no good.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmmm.

I'd just let her walk on her own, personally.

My 11 month old walks and yeah, she falls a lot, but if it's some place where she can't fall/crawl, I just don't let her.

I wonder if this is because I have 2 other kids, but there is no appeal to those things to me, because I won't do the holding-her-hands-while-she-cruises thing anyway. Either she cruises, or she crawls, but she does not cruise while holding ME. LOL.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I think it will annoy you more than it will help you. Do you just leave her in it all day? I'm guessing a child would get hot in that thing. And I just can't see putting that thing on every time my child wanted to do some walking. I can imagine it going like this:

"oh wait honey, I know you want to walk this second but I have attach these straps".
"oh, you've walked 10 feet and you're done right now? Well then let me remove these straps so you don't strange yourself".
"Oh, you want to walk again? It's only been 2 minutes since last time, hold on, let me get the straps"

I'd show her the edge of the couch and hopefully she'll start cruising along there. Both my kids cruised furniture, I don't recall ever doing the arm holding thing.

scoutingbear

As a pediatric OT I cringe at the thought of them. It really places the whole center of gravity "off" for a child to use those. Do hand holding if you'd like for short periods (I always do it while sitting or kneeling on the ground and let hte child walk in circles around me! ;) ) Lead her to the couch, coffee table, etc. to cruise along and place toys on the surface so there is something to cruise for to make it more interesting.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That, or get a push-toy. My oldest two didn't do it much but this one LOVED to balance with a push-toy while walking. She did it for about a month before she started walking independently.

Pixels

She's cruising furniture, but not near walking independently. She can stand on her own, but won't. She just loves walking, and if I let her, we'd be doing laps for hours in our living room.

Maedze

I think those fall under the 'goofy items manufactured for parents that have no real intrinsic value other than parting mom with her money' :whistle:

"Walk" her when you're up to it, but even if you don't she'll still figure out how to walk on her own. Don't kill your back, and don't waste your money :twocents:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
She's cruising furniture, but not near walking independently. She can stand on her own, but won't. She just loves walking, and if I let her, we'd be doing laps for hours in our living room.

That was when Maggie really loved that push-toy. I would clear a path, set it up, she'd scurry from one side of the living room to another. Then I'd turn it around for her. Still a bit of work (except when the older sisters were around to "steer" for her) but much easier on the back than hand-holding.

Pixels

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'll pass on it, and she'll just have to learn on her own time. She is very good at cruising along furniture, does it all the time. I really can't get a push toy for her, as we have NO space for one.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Bummer. FP (I think) makes one that folds flat; it's not my favorite but it does store small. (And doubles as an activity toy for sitting flat.)

But yeah, she'll come to it in her own time, and in the mean time she'll learn patience and that she doesn't ALWAYS get what she wants. :)

Pixels

No, she sure isn't learning patience. She just crawls over to me, pulls up on my pants legs, and whines until I pick her up. She goes through phases, where for a week she's either asleep in her crib, in her high chair, or in my arms. About the time I start seriously considering getting a sling, she is content to play on the floor again.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
LOL! I usually try to fend her off with snacks or toys while I get done what I have to, THEN put her in the sling. But then, I have two older kids who will usually play with her if I can't right then.

itzmeigh

Could you take her outside for a little walking with a push toy? Jacob had no true intrest in walking really. He didn't walk until pretty close to 16 months. And then it was because I was watching a friend's little girl who was a touch older then him but already walking.

But I was a bad mom who had a walker and some push toys. The walker he'd use in the kitchen while I was cooking dinner. Never really longer then about 10-15 minutes. I saw it more as like if he was riding a bike. I really wasn't using it so he could "learn to walk". I'd also take it out on the driveway if we were all outside so he could be a little more involved in what we were doing. I know many people are opposed to them. But I think that when used correctly they can be a fun tool. Sorta like a bike, trike or push toy.

But I would never use a set of walking wings.I'd rather they learn to walk at their own pace. I'm not into leading the kids around all day. Sometimes a little frustration is all they need to get them started to doing it on their own. If she truely wants to walk then making her figure it out on her own may give her that little push she needs.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I bought a pair for Reiker and promptly returned them to BRU...he *HATED* them...as soon as I'd get him upright he'd pull his feet up and then he'd be swinging by the stupid thing and screaming his bloody head off. He loved walking around holding onto my fingers (and it was killing my back so I figured I'd at least give them a shot) but like the PP said, it must have thrown his balance so far out of whack that it scared the bejeebers out of him or something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC