Does new RN recline foot give more upright installation?

Mommy0608

Title says it all. ;) For those who have experience with both versions of the recline foot, do you think the new one allows for a more upright rear-facing installation?

ADS

glockchick

I never tried to install a RN rf with the old foot, but even with the new foot it was too reclined for my 13 month old's liking. It was more reclined than his infant seat.

I sent it back for Britax seats that I know work for us. Of course, I couldn't get it installed tightly either so that helped with the decision. ;)

romanoma

I also have the new foot, and it seems very reclined. Don't know if the old one would have been more reclined, but it's hard to imagine it would. I don't know if you can tell from my sig pic, but DS is about as reclined as DD who is in the infant recline position of her EFT. He doesn't mind though, even after being totally upright in FF installs. He really relaxes in the car though, likes to be comfy :). Both kids sleep in the car, so recline is OK with me.

Mommy0608

I never tried to install a RN rf with the old foot, but even with the new foot it was too reclined for my 13 month old's liking. It was more reclined than his infant seat.

I sent it back for Britax seats that I know work for us. Of course, I couldn't get it installed tightly either so that helped with the decision. ;)

Thanks for the input. :) Sorry it didn't work out for you, but fortunately you found something else. I've ruled the Britax convertibles out though because of the leg room and shell height.

I also have the new foot, and it seems very reclined. Don't know if the old one would have been more reclined, but it's hard to imagine it would. I don't know if you can tell from my sig pic, but DS is about as reclined as DD who is in the infant recline position of her EFT. He doesn't mind though, even after being totally upright in FF installs. He really relaxes in the car though, likes to be comfy :). Both kids sleep in the car, so recline is OK with me.

Hm. Maybe Jessie won't mind being so reclined then. I'm going to try it out tonight so we'll see how she reacts. She does still sleep in the car on long trips (not short ones though), so maybe that'll be okay. I had her EFTA pretty upright, but last weekend her head flopped forward when she slept so I installed it so that it's a little more reclined and she was happy.

Thanks!

fyrfightermomma

My old Radian was really really really reclined. Now I have two new ones. They are really really reclined (so like one less "really") LOL. Still can't get it much past a 45 degree angle and have to fight that it doesn't go past that.

*sigh*

canadiangie

I have a regular RN, and the new RNXT. The recline foot on the XT gives me as many install headaches as the older foot. Each cause the RN to be too reclined. I've worked and worked on the new one (did again last night actually, at 2am to be exact :p) and it orients to the vehicle seat the way it does, and there really isn't much room to play if that makes sense. I know some people are able to get it more upright but it's not b/c they have magic powers or something, it's just b/c the vehicle seat they're working with allows for more compressibility, or the vehicle seat itself is more sloped. The RN works lovely in some vehicle, and it's a nightmare in others. You MUST try before you buy. :twocents:

Here's my 3 y/o. She doesn't seem to care, but I sure do. I'd prefer her seat as upright as possible at her age and weight. (BTW, please excuse the messy hair and jammies!)

IMG_3055.jpg

Mommy0608

My old Radian was really really really reclined. Now I have two new ones. They are really really reclined (so like one less "really") LOL. Still can't get it much past a 45 degree angle and have to fight that it doesn't go past that.

*sigh*

Hm. Bummer. Maybe there's hope that it'll be *slightly* less reclined with a new foot, but I guess I won't get my hopes up.

I have a regular RN, and the new RNXT. The recline foot on the XT gives me as many install headaches as the older foot. Each cause the RN to be too reclined. I've worked and worked on the new one (did again last night actually, at 2am to be exact :p) and it orients to the vehicle seat the way it does, and there really isn't much room to play if that makes sense. I know some people are able to get it more upright but it's not b/c they have magic powers or something, it's just b/c the vehicle seat they're working with allows for more compressibility, or the vehicle seat itself is more sloped. The RN works lovely in some vehicle, and it's a nightmare in others. You MUST try before you buy. :twocents:

Here's my 3 y/o. She doesn't seem to care, but I sure do. I'd prefer her seat as upright as possible at her age and weight. (BTW, please excuse the messy hair and jammies!)

Thanks for the picture, that helps. :) It does look pretty reclined like you said. Glad to hear that my lack of magical powers won't negatively impact my installation. :D Tonight I have the opportunity to try the seat (with the old foot style) in my car, so I'll know before I buy whether it will work or not. Is the reason you want your DD's seat more upright due to the idea of too much downward rotation in a crash, or is there more to it? How much does she weigh, if you don't mind sharing?

christineka

It is less reclined, but still very much reclined. I have plenty of space and my 4 year old doesn't care, so I don't either.

kidrepair

IMG_3055.jpg

That cover is beautiful, how come it looks like it has a ton of red in it in all the stock photos, yours looks all pink....

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That cover is beautiful, how come it looks like it has a ton of red in it in all the stock photos, yours looks all pink....

We've had several threads about that-- they changed the cover after the stock photos were taken and most sites don't have the new stock photos up yet, though a few do. Most people were thrilled, a few were unhappy they didn't get what they ordered. Consensus is that that's why the Malibus took so long to get out, they had a last-minute redesign. Also that people need to take down the old stock pics since they're no longer accurate!

Oh, and my Radians have the OLD foot and I can get them more upright than 45 deg. in my car and several others (I actually had to adjust the angle with the RF tether when I had a newborn to GET 45 deg.!) I think it has more to do with the shape of your vehicle seats than anything else.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC