Graco crotch strap issues - those that have this problem... PM me after you read this for more info

Kat_Momof3

Okay... I emailed them at least a week ago (I have a migraine, so time has stopped for my head and I don't remember how long it's actually been) and was starting to give up on them getting back to me about the crotch strap issue that some have had.

I contacted them primarily because super skinny Josef (mommaon112903's son) of all kids on this board was having this problem... already sitting on the outer crotch strap position.

Well, Miriam contacted me today VIA PHONE to talk to me and get all the important details and I gave her all of the details and stuff that I knew. I have her direct number now for if any of you who have this problem want refunds when/if this happens (they had a meeting with the engineering team about this and the marketing people and this was the temporary solution) to kids who should otherwise still fit and she has let them know that I think there needs to be at least one more crotch strap slot.

Anyway... the verdict is that when the child is no longer behind but is now ON the slot, the seat is outgrown.

Obviously, I don't think that should be the case, but it is what it is.

If you want to make the parental choice to continue using the seat, I wouldn't blame any of you, but for those who don't want to, I have her direct number and extension so you can add your complaints to the file (I have the file number) and go from there.

HTH someone... cause honestly, I'm pretty frustrated that that's all they can do... I would expect either a redesign or testing and an okay to have it under the kid once the child is using the outer slot.

Just me here.

I still think that the Nautilus is the superior seat to the frontier, but for a lot of the kids on this board that I've heard have little to no room to thicken in this seat, this will rule the seat out.

ADS

mommaon112903

Hey, do you mind if I post this on another forum I belong to? There are some kiddos who are going thru this same thing or will be soon. Thanks!

daniele_ut

Argh. I just ordered another Nautilus after months of debate between it and the Frontier. I decided to stick with what we know works well in both our cars rather than fight with the Frontier. DS isn't sitting on the crotch strap yet, but who knows how long it will be before he does.

Splash

So she's okaying refunds? Because I'll take a refund and put something else in my car. He's definitely over the farthest out slot, with loads more harness room.

groovymom2000

So what they are saying is that no matter how much harness is left, and regardless of the age or weight of the child, when they are no longer behind the crotch strap then the seat is outgrown.

Hmmm...Ian is very close to the second slot--I don't think that it's under him, but I haven't paid much attention, mostly because it was always under him in the MA. Guess I will look at this. I have one unopened in the box and one that I have only had for about a month.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Has there ever been a thread with measurements? Because my daughter, who is not skinny and who has apparently inherited a big round butt from me, still has plenty of room. Is this a case of "all kids fit differently" or are some seats skimpier than others?

arly1983

So she's okaying refunds? Because I'll take a refund and put something else in my car. He's definitely over the farthest out slot, with loads more harness room.

:yeahthat:

Jackson sounds exactly like Charlie and I have two of these things that are only 6 weeks old. Shot, Camille has outgrown them using that criteria...

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::mad::mad: :mad: :(:(:(

I guess I will be getting at least one Frontier now...I HAVE to have two seats for him.

Maggie

Wow. I'll definitely be contacting them for a refund. My 2 year old needs the furthest out position and she's pretty close to being on top of it .

emars002

DD is only 30 lbs and skinny - this is how much room she has left - i could fit my pinky finger between her and the slot where the crotch strap comes out- So much for this seat lasting.........
DSC02321.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

Logan is super super skinny-33 pounds to be exact and a small torso and 40 inches. He fits horribly crotch wise in the nautilus. He complains about once a week about it. I was ready to chuck it the other day(even though I just LOVE LOVE this seat besides that). Logan is only on the second slot-WTF?

Graco-Why? this is the only seat my 4 year old will sit in because it isn't a baby seat! :-( I personally love the cargo and will be happy with that, but darn it it isn't me it is my 4 year old's seat.

I am pming you. I am all for a refund of some sort.

Thanks Kat for doing this.

fyrfightermomma

Yep my 25 lb 3 year old who can *just* use this seat is about to outgrow it

And my DD2 has outgrown it with a cloth dipe. At the ripe old age of 23 months

GRRR

J-max

CPST Instructor
AHHHH, I have been watching this, thinking (and hopeing) they would just OK it being slightly underneath when in the outer most position. I am 99% sure both my middle girls are over it :(. They are not our primary seats, so I will have to check in the next couple of days.

arly1983

Here is Camille just a few mins ago. My Jackson is asleep early or I would have put him in it. He is just as bad. Their stats are in my siggie. Camille is wearing a dry disposable.

Picture603.jpg

Picture604.jpg

Amaris

That's exactly how I fits in it. :(

DD is only 30 lbs and skinny - this is how much room she has left - i could fit my pinky finger between her and the slot where the crotch strap comes out- So much for this seat lasting.........
DSC02321.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

peanutsmommy

Thank you SO much for following up with this, we are having the same problems with it for our 3 1/2 year old...

Guess I'll be getting the refund and getting a second Regent...

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Wow. I'm going to have to double-check tomorrow. I will feel extremely foolish if my daughter actually doesn't fit after posting that she did.

groovymom2000

Wow. I'm going to have to double-check tomorrow. I will feel extremely foolish if my daughter actually doesn't fit after posting that she did.

Me too. Looking at those pics makes me question where Ian is in this seat. like I said, I didn't think too much of it because it was always the case in the MA. Do you think the seat actually failed testing when the dummy was over the slot, or (more likely) it wasn't tested that way and they are covering themselves?

I think I am taking the nautilus out tomorrow and instaling the FPSVD. I don't want to risk it. I am driving around too much today-Sunday.
A mad logan should be so much fun(he is the most pleasant car rider if he is in the nautilus or a booster). Oh well his saftey comes first not my sanity! ;-)

cryswilkins

Dang, my 2 DD has outgrown it then. I am not sure how I feel about this.

Can those of you contacting about refunds keep us updated?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Me too. Looking at those pics makes me question where Ian is in this seat. like I said, I didn't think too much of it because it was always the case in the MA. Do you think the seat actually failed testing when the dummy was over the slot, or (more likely) it wasn't tested that way and they are covering themselves?

Yeah. My daughter's 48" and 50+ pounds -- she's way bigger than most of the kids pictured. I remember checking when I first read about crotch strap issues and she seemed fine, but all these pictures are making me want to wake her up and put her in her carseat to check! (no, I won't do that, but I will check tomorrow after school)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC