Question locking seatbelts

JamieB

My sister has a 2003 Sunfire and when I pull her seatbelts all the way out and then let them in slowly they don't lock. Same with my friends 2000 Caravan. Do they lock another way or do I need locking clips when I install car seats in there with the belt? I have a Boulevard and a True Fit and my friend has an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 and an Apex.

ADS

Andie

All cars after 96/97 have seat belts that lock in some way. They probably lock at the latch plate. You should not need locking clips for these cars. You can find more information on how to figure out which type they are here:

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Make sure to read the Primer on Latchplates. :) Hope this helps!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Both the Caravan and the Sunfire will have lightweight locking latchplates.

In the case of your BLVD and the True Fit, you cannot ever use a locking clip in any vehicle because they both have built in lock-offs and don't allow it. :thumbsup:

JamieB

Thank you very much! Is it ok to use a locking clip with these types of seatbelts? I finally figured out how they lock but they don't stay locked it seems? If you pull on the lap belt you can tell it's locked but it comes loose if you tug at it enough. And I install the seat and by the time we get where we're going, it loosens. Every time. This is an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 rfing. Am I missing something? This is in the Caravan, not the Sunfire.

Andie

Thank you very much! Is it ok to use a locking clip with these types of seatbelts? I finally figured out how they lock but they don't stay locked it seems? If you pull on the lap belt you can tell it's locked but it comes loose if you tug at it enough. And I install the seat and by the time we get where we're going, it loosens. Every time. This is an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 rfing. Am I missing something? This is in the Caravan, not the Sunfire.

You can flip the male end over on belts with the lightweight latchplates to help them stay locked. So you buckle it in upside down basically. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. It's the end of my night and I can't think of how to word it.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The slipping latch plates are a problem for us in our '99 Caravan too. I use locking clips with our seats in that vehicle (we have a Radian and Nautilus, neither seat has built-in lock-offs.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC