looking for an umbrella stroller

Misty-Bug

I have an Avalon stroller. I saw a LOT of Maclaren's at Disneyland but I personally do not like them. It doesn't recline as low as my Avalon. I like the looks of the Baby Planet stroller. However, it has two handles. I didn't like that about mine. But it could be because mine started to track to the side.
I did like the Chicco stroller but am not sure what people think about it. I need recommendations. Unfortunately the Baby jogger city elite mini is too far out of my price range. I am looking at about 100-150 range. My avalon was $100.
I liked that it layed back a lot. He slept in it a lot. Any recommendations?

this is mine....
33882879a.jpg

I would like a decent sunshade, a basket like my avalon, and lays back. Is there such thing! LOL! I will consider a lot of things. I just need to look at different things. What brand/stroller do you recommend and why?

I liked the looks of this one. I wish it was orange though. The endagered species is orange but it is a butterfly. NOT going to happen with a boy. LOL!
http://www.babyage.com/products/101102-cb_baby_planet_baby_planet_solo_sport_stroller.htm

ADS

BW1426

I suspect you saw a lot of the same styles of Macs. Likely mostly Volos. The different models recline to different levels. I love my Maclaren Quest. I can still push E who is 5.5, 45 lbs and pretty tall in it. It turns easily even with her in it.

The Volo does not recline, the Triumph and Quest recline appropriately for a 3 month old to ride and the Techno reclines appropriately for a newborn. How far flat do you need?

ctbcleveland

Misty,

I have a Chicco Stroller (c5). I like that it is light weight, folds compactly and believe it maneuvers well for its price point. It is a good stroller for taller people because of the handle height - DH stays home with DS some days - so this was relevant.

My complaints - The sunshades aren't great - the clips are tricky to use (but less of a concern now that DS is older) and the locking mechanism to keep it close can require some muscle to re-open.

That being said, I am considering a Twin Trevi for this summer when #2 arrives.

I was told by Chicco that the C5 is being discontinued - not sure if it is just the twin version or all versions. So, maybe some good deals are out there.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Yoshi

This one is a bit heavier, but it is awesome- my almost 6 yr old still fits laying down -the back is higher than the Macs and it is very sturdy. It holds up to 55 lbs and I got it cheaper than this price somewhere last year. GREAT sunshade- awesome recline, lots of storage and BIG seating area. FYI: Just don't let your DH to get a bit whimsical and decide to let your kid push him in it. Mine did.:mad:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=6371041

mom2juliarose

If only they still sold the Baby Trend Euro Trend Sport! I have one, and we took it to DL two weekends ago, and I saw so many of them there... but they were last manufactured in 2005. They hold up WELL, though. For me, I don't want to pay the price tag on the Macs. I can't find anything like our EuroSport, though. (Which cost me $52 on clearance.)

Sorry I was no help there, though...

SillyLily

This site has a stroller similar to your avalon on sale for $50 plus shipping.

I had a Mutsy Spider, and it was a neat stroller. It reclines, folds up very small and has a super simple fold, comes with a rain fly, and has awesome steering. It has a single handle that goes across (kind of like a Bugaboo) and it is height-adjustable. You should be able to get one new for $150 or less. CSN/strollers.com has them for $149 with free shipping. The only reason I sold it was because the seat didn't quite sit completely upright, even when it wasn't reclined. It bugged my dd and she was always leaning forward. It worked fine for my older dd because I wouldn't buckle her in, so she could get in and out when she wanted to. I think it depends on the child and whether this would bother them or not.

I have heard great things about the Baby Planet strollers, and almost bought one (the company cancelled my order because the stroller was backordered) and I ended up buying something else. If I end up getting a double stroller, I really like their double.

I also think the Joovy Kooper is really cool. It looks a lot like a Quinny Zapp, but it has a really good recline and a great canopy. I tried it out at Babiesrus and thought it steered really well. It is $200, but it may be on sale somewhere.

Just some ideas I thought I'd throw out there. I would seriously have 100 different strollers if I could afford it. :eek:

Last edited:

Misty-Bug

how are the Esprit strollers?
We need tall. I didn't like the looks of the Mac. I would like a better looking sunshade. I don't know which models I saw but the cross bars went pretty high up the back.
I am 5'9" and Phil is 6'2" so the avalon was nice with that feature.

Esprit stroller

is that a decent site? I have never heard of it before?? here is my avalon fully reclined. I would like it to drop a little more. I would like a stroller to sit fully upright. I would like it to recline more then this if I could
December132007004.jpg

ETA: Yeah I don't like the looks of the maclaren quest either. That is the model I saw a lot of. doesn't recline too much. The lady that I talked to that had one said that is the one thing she doesn't like. I would like to be able to have an infant in it, just in case. I guess I am asking too much of a lightweight stroller.

mom2juliarose

Have you looked at the Graco Ipo? That runs $60-$80... I think. But I have no experience test-driving it, either. We saw it at Target and BRU.

Misty-Bug

what about Chicco strollers or the Graco strollers? I have seen the graco stroller and thought it was a little back heavy. I don't like the jeep umbrella stroller because it was back heavy. man I think I want too much

Misty-Bug

Have you looked at the Graco Ipo? That runs $60-$80... I think. But I have no experience test-driving it, either. We saw it at Target and BRU.

I was actually thinking about that. I think we must have posted at the same time. Maybe I should go there and have another look at them. Anyone have experience with those strollers?

BW1426

can the techno be found in Canada?

Yes, I'm seeing it on some Canadian websites, but it is going to be way out of your price range unless you can find one used. The one I'm looking at is $470 (Canadian dollars).

One of the families I work for had a Chicco Umbrella stroller that they finally pitched. It was crap. The sunshade was the absolutely worst feature, to top it off. I don't know what model it was and I haven't used Chicco strollers a ton so I don't know if they just had bad luck or what.

Kat_Momof3

avalon is actually Inglesina... so if you liked the Avalon, you'll love the Inglesina... yours looks like it was the imitation of the Swift (Cosatto is also Inglesina, for the record).

and the comparable Mac would be the Quest.

one cheaper alternative... the Wendy Bellisimo stroller... it basically replaced the Babytrend Eurotrend on the market by doing all the Quest does, but at only 100 dollars

it's not available online, though, so you can only find it at BRU in store, but it's really a great stroller.

zactayaus

I know you said you liked the baby planet strollers. Have you seen their solo deluxe in terra cotta? The seat reclines pretty far and it has a napper bar which is removable. The canopy also extends all the way down to the napper bar. It has telescoping haddles so it is comfy for people of all different heights to push. It also has really nice infant padding. It is a little pricey at about $200. All the reviews I have read have been very positive. Here are some pics I got on-line:

solodeluxestroller.gif
annabean_2041_613521069.jpg
annabean_2041_613268142.jpg
solodeluxe.jpg

MoreLatte

I was actually thinking about that. I think we must have posted at the same time. Maybe I should go there and have another look at them. Anyone have experience with those strollers?

I've had the Graco Ipo and really wouldn't recommend it for anything other than errands. I definitely wouldn't use it for a long day out.

The canopy is small and doesn't stay attached well. The seat reclines with zippers and doesn't sit very upright. It also is narrow for bigger kids. My DH kicked the wheels when pushing it. Another thing I didn't really notice until after I had a Mac was that it pushes kind of 'stiff'. (Not quite sure how to explain that one, I guess just not as smooth?) It has an awesome folding mechanism, though:thumbsup:

BananaBoat

I just went thru this same dilemma. We settled on the new Chicco Liteway - it just came out last month. My DH is 6' and it works well for us both. It reclines nearly flat & although it's heavier than the Macs (Volo & Triumph) it's MUCH lighter than the Baby Planet solo sport. The sunshade is very large in comparison to the Macs. I got it at Target for $129 - not sure where/if to purchase in Canada though...HTH

Misty-Bug

I know you said you liked the baby planet strollers. Have you seen their solo deluxe in terra cotta? The seat reclines pretty far and it has a napper bar which is removable. The canopy also extends all the way down to the napper bar. It has telescoping haddles so it is comfy for people of all different heights to push. It also has really nice infant padding. It is a little pricey at about $200. All the reviews I have read have been very positive. Here are some pics I got on-line:

solodeluxestroller.gif
annabean_2041_613521069.jpg
annabean_2041_613268142.jpg
solodeluxe.jpg

thank you! I really like that stroller. I do think it would be closer to $300 up here though......

I just went thru this same dilemma. We settled on the new Chicco Liteway - it just came out last month. My DH is 6' and it works well for us both. It reclines nearly flat & although it's heavier than the Macs (Volo & Triumph) it's MUCH lighter than the Baby Planet solo sport. The sunshade is very large in comparison to the Macs. I got it at Target for $129 - not sure where/if to purchase in Canada though...HTH

I was just going to ask about the Chicco's. I tried one out at Zellers. It was $120 and the 5.0 it seemed ok but I am really prefering the idea of the babyplanet. Now to find the best price and to convince DH. Man! I could so be buying a camera lens for this price!

mom2juliarose

Oh wow, I LOVE the Liteway! Where did you purchase it at?

Misty-Bug

Oh wow, I LOVE the Liteway! Where did you purchase it at?

ok so I went to BRU tonight. We looked at the maclaren's and right away Phil did NOT like them. I wasn't fond of them either :eek:
Then I saw the liteway. I pushed it and everything. I ended up buying it for $150 before taxes. (Canadian) so I hope this purchase doesn't bite me in the arss. It seemed a little bumpy but Phil said it was the new tires. Man it folded fast and nice. Came with a cupholder too!! Cooper likes it. Says the color is nice and it is "comfy mommy". So guess it passed that test. Plus the handles are angled more then my avalon so it was easier to steer. I probably shouldn't have bought a stroller, should have gotten a camera lens instead but I needed to replace the avalon. I love how flat the liteway folds and lays down. Plus the basket can be a backpack for the parents. NICE!

vonfirmath

I have no idea which Chicco we have -- we got it at a consignment sale. But I LOVE it so much I've had an eye out for a stroller like it for when this one breaks. (since it was used to begin with)

We esp. love the roomy shade and the foot-rest (The lower leg portion has about 3-4 positions, so the baby can have his legs straight out in front of him, or down flat). Its fairly easy to close too (I used to think this kind of fold was difficult, but after I did it a few times, it was fine)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC