Leaky Diapers

LuvMyCharlie

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but I feel it's sort of a sketchy thing...

FTR, I use cloth at home and short trips. Never had a problem. No leaks, no blowouts, nada.

The past two weeks, though, we've spent alot of time in the car traveling(5-6 hours a day sometimes). DS has been wearing sposies and every trip he's leaked. I guess I should say gushed. He's soaked, his seat is soaked, etc.

I know it's not an absorbency issue. He wears the same sposies for much longer at night and never leaks. The only thing I can figure is the way he bends his legs to sit RF, causes a gap between his thigh and the diaper. Turning him FF so his legs are not bent is not an option, and neither are cloth diapers on long trips away from home.

Would it be okay for me to put something under him in his carseat? I'm thinking something very thin like a prefold or maybe even an extra sposie unfolded to catch excess? I'm hating to even think about it, but we've got several long trips coming up, and a 17 hour drive to CT. At least if there was something between his butt and the seat, the pee might not soak all the way through the seat. Taking away his sippy's is not an option, either. He is VERY unhappily RF so I do everything I can to keep him quiet. We're working on 'car training' but for right now, he gets sippys and snacks.

So...any thoughts? Ideas?

ADS

Kyras_Mama

What brand sposies are you using? Our dd is lean and lanky and always outgrows diapers by size lengthwise LONG before she does widthwise so we're constantly battling the gaps by her thighs. (I will say though that with all that extra airflow, the child has never had a diaper rash!) I've found that when she first switches to a new size of diapers it HAS to be huggies or costco's kirkland brand (made by huggies) or they leak at the thigh where she has gap trouble until she grows into them some.

LuvMyCharlie

We switch between Huggies and Publix Brand(whatever I have coupons for!). He's in a size 5 and has been for awhile now. No other leaking issues, other than the carseat.

NannyMom

We use Huggies size 5. Sofi has never had a leak problem, even in the carseat. I think I'd be ok with putting a cloth diaper under him.

Kyras_Mama

Our dd doesn't leak out at night either, even if she ends up REALLY wet, only in certain positions and when she's more active. She will sometimes leak at the thighs where her diapers tend to gap just after switching sizes though even when she's just barely damp. For her it's not absorbency, just fit. I think maybe it runs down her thigh and out the gap instead of catching in the diaper as it should. I would think though that wouldn't be the trouble with a boy just because of being built different though.. :) Hope you find something that works!!!

LuvMyCharlie

Okay, so I'm a total idiot. A friend just suggested a PUL cover over a sposie. Easy enough for travel because you just wipe it off, and his clothes shouldn't be a mess either. Duh.

zeo2ski

I'd try the PUL or wool first. OR try sizing down in sposies to avoid the gap but also putting a bigger size over top so you cover all angles, lol. I wouldn't put a prefold under him because it will just wick through to the CR cover anyway.

Girly_Qs

I'd try the PUL or wool first. OR try sizing down in sposies to avoid the gap but also putting a bigger size over top so you cover all angles, lol. I wouldn't put a prefold under him because it will just wick through to the CR cover anyway.

Yeah that.

I'd go PUL first. IF that doesn't work, maybe one of those disposable bed/chair liners from medical supply co's? I remember them from my grandmother's wheelchair. They are quite absorbant (like a sposie) and have a waterproof barrier side too (so at least the seat wouldn't get soaked). Don't know about the safety standpoint of it though - I know they're thin, but I'm no tech . . ..

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Sounds like it might be the wrong size to me. I find going up when there's gapping sometimes allows me to get it tighter.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Have you tried Luvs? My first and second both went through periods of the leaking you described in Pampers and Huggies but Luvs fit them GREAT during those times.

monstah

In my professional daycare background opinion :whistle: Huggies are awful. (Except Huggies overnights, those rock.)

I would give Luvs or Pampers a shot. My DD wears a size 4 at 26.5 pounds, hasn't had a car seat leak yet, and we take long car trips often.

I hope you get the leaks under control, it must be super aggravating. :)

LuvMyCharlie

I guess I'll go buy a small pack of Luvs. Or better yet, have one of my friends loan me a couple to try. Pampers are definitely out because with that wierd powder smell + pee smell=me throwing up. I think they're great absorbancy wise, but I just can't do it.

zeo2ski

If you're crossing over the tabs, maybe that size is too big. Try going by rise to size the sposies.

Or, if you keep having sposie leaks why not just stick with cloth for the long trips too?

dd9736

I'd try the PUL cover, that should do you, if not, go down a size, and try that.

even if pampers didn't stink, I find that they tend to have pee seep through if they get more than a little wet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC