True Fit- Do you HAVE to use the top tether?

Blondie87

So on another one of my forums a mama has to take back her True Fit because she read in the manual that there is no other way to install it but with seatbelt AND the tether, or latch with the tether. And she doesn't have latch, so she can't tether it. She called the dealer and they said that there is no safe way to install one.

I looked through the manual... and although the the seatbelt installation part, it also shows it being tethered and how to tether it. But I didn't see in there anywhere that says you MUST tether it.

So do you HAVE to? I know it's safer to and recommended with every FF seat.. but do you HAVE to?

ADS

keri1292

Could you find out what the make and model is so someone can see if a tether anchor can be added? I wouldn't trust the dealership. :twocents:

BW1426

What kind of vehicle does she drive. Most vehicles can be retrofitted. And, not all dealers are all that knowledgeable about such things. So, just because they said it can't be done doesn't mean it can't be done ime.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't think the top tether is required when doing a seatbelt install. In fact, I believe that the only non-special needs seats that require top tether with a seatbelt install are the Regent in certain installations and the Frontier after a certain weight.

mommaon112903

I belong to the same board as blondie87, and was just looking at that same post actually.

She says her car is either a 91 or 93 Buick. Also states
I called one on the other side of the state and they knew what I was talking about, found out that they can get the hook for $17 but then it'd be $100 for them to install it since they have to take the seat out. Yippee. I can't pay that.

Is there a reason why the seat would need to be taken out to install a top teather?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
GM has a free tether anchor retrofit program that covers parts+labor for retrofitting one tether anchor in retrofittable 1989 to 2002 pre-factory LATCH equipped GM models, so the dealership truly seems out of line to charge her at all for retrofitting. :twocents: The specific GM service bulletin for free retrofitting is bulletin number 99-09-40-004a dated April 12, 2005, and she should refer the dealership service department to that bulletin for details of the GM policy.

I also believe the True Fit's manufacturer, Learning Curve/The First Years, has clarified that the use of the top tether is not required forward facing, but recommended. And if the OP's friend happens to be in Canada, she would need to tether FF due to Canadian requirements.

Pixels

All seats pass the same testing, including lap belt only with no top tether. Therefore, it is "safe."

The manual does say it must be used, so if you're in a proper use state, then it can't be used untethered (legally. The laws of physics don't change at the state line).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Page 36 says
*Use top tether in all forward facing installations*

Is your manual the Canadian one? Since it's not required in the US, the language is a lot less strict in the manuals ('recommended' is the usual word, and the tethers aren't the same color as the LATCH and Belt in the illustrations).

Blondie87

I let her know about the free tether anchor retrofit program, she called and quoted it to the dealer and they are going to check on it and call her back.

I also emailed the True Fit's manufacturer and asked if it was "required".

Thank you everyone!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
*Use top tether in all forward facing installations*

Is your manual the Canadian one? Since it's not required in the US, the language is a lot less strict in the manuals ('recommended' is the usual word, and the tethers aren't the same color as the LATCH and Belt in the illustrations).
I was quoting the U.S. manual as found on the web site. And the text is in red as quoted. As well as the install pics having the top tether, lower anchors and seat belt all coloured red.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
yes, this troubled me......it does in fact say you must use the top tether when forward facing, and makes NO MENTION whatsoever of what to do if you are driving an older vehicle without tethers. NONE.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
yes, this troubled me......it does in fact say you must use the top tether when forward facing, and makes NO MENTION whatsoever of what to do if you are driving an older vehicle without tethers. NONE.
Is this a common issue in the U.S.? Having a vehicle that is not able to have top tethers installed? Just makes me wonder what we do in Canada then as we have to use top tethers, and wondering how common it is here to have someone with a vehicle that is not able to have a top tether installed.

I know my 20 year old TWO seater vehicle, had a spot to install a tether anchor. Loved that vehicle by the way.... :D

Blondie87

UPDATE: The dealership called back the mama and told them that they would install one for free, Since she quoted to them the free tether anchor retrofit program. I guess the first dealership she talked to that said it wasn't possible had no idea what they were talking about. So she will be able to get it tethered.

I just don't understand why it says use the tether in the True Fit manual.. I am just glad I have tethers in all my 5 of my back seat positions and won't have to worry about that..

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Is this a common issue in the U.S.? Having a vehicle that is not able to have top tethers installed? Just makes me wonder what we do in Canada then as we have to use top tethers, and wondering how common it is here to have someone with a vehicle that is not able to have a top tether installed.

I know my 20 year old TWO seater vehicle, had a spot to install a tether anchor. Loved that vehicle by the way.... :D

Is it common to have a vehicle in which a top tether can NOT be installed? No....there are a *FEW* vehicles in which they can NOT (and we have one of them *sigh*), but the vast majority CAN be retrofitted...
The real question though, is whether the parent WILL/CAN AFFORD to get one done. Not all vehicle manufacturers will do it for free, and even amongst those that will, it can sometimes be hard to find a dealer who will actually honor the free retrofit mandate.
So, if you are $$$ strapped, and have just scrimped to buy a tf to put in your tetherless 86 civic, and now the dealer wants $150 to put the anchor in..... guess what? no tether for you. :(

Blondie87

Well, in my manual on page 36 it says *Use top tether in all forward facing installations.* So if they don't require it.. they really make it seem like they do. Which sucks for all the mamas that don't have it. So it would be okay to use it without it, despite what the manual says? I know it's safer to use it with all seats, but it would still be safe?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC