lap belt only booster seats

U

Unregistered

I have a 99 Chevy Suburban. The rear bench seat(s) only have lap belts, no shoulder harnesses, in the center position.

My five year old is currently in a car seat in the center position. He needs to move up to a booster as his head is getting too high for the car seat back. All of the boosters I see use a five-point harness, but once the child reaches 40 lbs., they are supposed to use a shoulder belt, which my car does not have in the middle position (I have two older children in the outboard positions).

My question is, does anyone make a booster or large car seat with it's own harness, or is a booster with a lap belt only OK?

Thanks,

J. Gaines
big5150@earthlink.net

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A booster with a lapbelt only is not allowed, and lapbelts have the potential to be quite dangerous for children. I don't know whether you can have shoulderbelts retrofitted (might want to call your dealer?) There are a couple seats that harness higher than 40 pounds: the Britax Husky is quite large, but can be used harnessed to 80 pounds (will work the longest, and be best if the children outboard are old enough to be out of boosters, because it is 22 inches wide), the Safety Baby Airway, looks like a regular harnessed booster, but holds up to 50 pounds, at burlington coat factory, the fisher price trayshield futura goes to 60 pounds at dmart2000.com, or the Britax Marathon, harnessing to 65 pounds (it's up on a high base, which is handier if the other children are in boosters so they can buckle up easier). good luck, Julie

U

Unregistered

E-Z-On Products belts

Trying to solve this problem I ran across this company that makes aftermarket seat belts for school buses. It looks like either their 86-Y Universal Harness would work (if tethered to the floor behind the rear seat, or their Cam Harness, which actually belts around the rear seatback in order to anchor two shoulder straps (it looks like the simplest sloution).

Does anyone here have experience with these belts or know if they would solve my problem?

See them here:

http://www.ezonpro.com/uny/index.html

Thanks again,
Joe Gaines

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC