When did you turn FF'ing?

When did you turn your LO to the FF'ing position?

• He/she reached the height maximum for the convertible seat.

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • He/she reached the weight maximum for the convertible seat.

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • He/she was the minimum 1 year and 20 lbs.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Other??

Votes: 37 36.6%

• Total voters

Mama Jo

When did your LO turn FF'ing? If you have more than one kiddo, feel free to answer more than once! I'd also be curious to know what seats they grew out of by height or weight.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
DD1 - about 18 months because she outgrew her RF seat by weight (22 pounds I believe) and there were no higher RF seats at the time. I'm lucky she was a peanut so I could keep her RF that long! The seat she outgrew RF was a Fisher-Price Safe Embrace convertible.

DD2 - still RF at almost 2.5 years old in a TF

Last edited:

LuvBug

When he hit the weight limit of his 33lbs MA and was too tall for anything else on the market. He was 2y4m.

SPJ&E

We turned Pacey at 3 years, 8 days old. He was about 30 lbs. then (and is just now 32 at 4 years old). He had plenty of RF time left in his seat (Marathon), but we've done our research and it was/is the age we are 100% comfortable with for FF. We will most likely turn Joshua at 3 years old also, but I'm not sure since he's a little smaller than Pacey was and seems so much younger to me.

Splash

Slightly over two years, maximum of the child and the circumstances (about 29-30 pounds, BV)

Mama2J

He was 13 months old and about 24 pounds, and the seat was an Evenflo Discovery w/3-point harness. I didn't know at the time there was a benefit to staying rf.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ was 11 mos and 23#, lol. He went back rfing at 27 mos and outgrew by height at weight (he was 34#) at 34 mos.

Evan got turned right before he turned 4 b/c he was 35# at the DRs the day before, he's now only 33#, but I told him he could ff at 4 w/ the new baby coming. He can still fit in his Avenue rfing, but is too tall to use it ffing in the van. I'm assuming it's b/c of the slope of the seat?

Ilana is still rfing at 27 mos and 27#.

hsjwmom

Both older girls when they were 15-18 months. Can't remember when, exactly. I had heard that it was better to leave them rfing but dh wasn't onboard and our pediatritian (at the time) poo-pooed it and told me to turn them. By the time I really became interested in car safety, both girls were too big to rf again. DD3 will be rfing quite a bit longer. :)

LuvMyCharlie

Didn't vote because I'm not sure yet. I know he'll max out the height on his MA before weight. However, I'm hoping to get him back into the TF when that happens. He hates it for the time being, though. :(

scatterbunny

I chose "other" because my dd was over the minimum 1yo and 20#, but she was nowhere near the height or weight maximums. :( In my defense, I truly didn't know that rear-facing longer was safer, back then.

She was about 13 months old and about 23 pounds when we turned her forward-facing. I regret it to this day. I didn't learn about extended rear-facing until she was 2+, 32 pounds, and already too tall to rear-face in all the seats on the market with a 35# RF limit at that time.

mykidsmylife

Johnathon was 11m and 19lbs.

Seth is 2y5m and still rear-facing. I will flip him in about a year regardless of weight.

solmama

Before I knew better, my dd forward faced at 1 yr and 23lbs (hee, my ds weighed 24lbs at 2years!). My ds is still rear-facing at 2 yrs 10mos and 30.5lbs. I don't know when we'll turn him, it all depends on his weight.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I picked other because I honestly don't remember. I have pics of my oldest (14.5) FF and I'm sure he was under a year old, but over 20lbs. That was almost certainly the weight limit for RF on his seat at the time, though.

I'm pretty sure I turned Sam at a year, because I know he wasn't 20lbs by then, but again - he's 12.5 so the recommendations were different then.

Fighter I really don't remember at all. He had a Roundabout so I suspect I used it RF to the limit with him, which means he might have made it to 2 years.

Macha used the RA and then a MA, and I'm pretty sure I flipped her when it "got old" keeping her RF. I'm pretty sure she was over 2, but before she was 3? I wonder if Gypsy remembers...

puglover333

I turned FF at 13 months and 25#. I had never heard of ERF. If I ever have another - I will definately ERF thanks to this forum and the information provided.

mimieliza

DD is 27 months and about 31 lbs. fully clothed. She has been FFing in her Roundabout since November (outgrew it by height) but that's just our backup/travel/baby sitter's seat. I just turned her 33 lb. Blvd FFing. Two years and 30 lbs. was my personal goal for RFing. Her EFTA is still RFing - it has a 35 lb. limit, so I'm not worried about getting too close to the limit right now, and better leg room than the Blvd.

I need to change my sig, but I can't bring myself to do it. It's like the end of an era.

I really ought to take some pics of the Blvd install - I'm using the third row seat belt as a tether anchor, and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

April

I turned Riley at 16 months. He was 28lbs and over the overall height limit for his RN, and at the time, I didn't know that his overall height didn't matter. Then we got in a crash and insurance replaced his seat with an Apex. By the time he was 18 months old he was over 31 lbs. Then when the TF came out I bought him one of those and he rearfaced again for about 6 weeks, until just after his 2nd birthday when he hit 35lbs. He would still have lots of room to rf in his TF if he didn't weigh so much:eek:

oxeye

DD1 - when she hit the weight limit of her Marathon.

DD2 - when she hit the weight limit of her seats (33 pounds). She's now back RF in a 35 pound max Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC