Kids at the front seats

L

Leo

Dear All,
I appologize if this subject has been already disscussed in this forum, but I'd like to rise the following question. We have two kids, 4 years old daughter and one month old baby boy. We used to drive Honda Civic 04. Not speaking that we need to find a bigger car, minivan is our option, there is a problem to watch the baby at the rear seat. It is especially when only one of the parents is driving. In Honda there is no way to deforce the front air bag, which elliminates the option of placing the baby's car sesat at the front.
Do you know what models of the cars, SUVs or Minivan (preferable), have the option of depowering of the front passanger air bag? I know that many new models have this car sensor, which recognize the wight of the passenger and if it is below weight it turns the air bag off. However, we would like to buy a used car, but I have no idea, although I tried to figure it out, which old models (2000 and further) have this option.
Thank you very much in advance,

Leo.

ADS
U

Unregistered

The front seat should never be used for children under 12. Ever. Especially since you have seating available in the back.

Also, the automatic sensors are not guaranteed to work and often toggle on and off when the vehicle goes over bumps.

L

Leo

Tnanks,
So how do you manage in situation like this? Or in other words, HOW PEOPLE MANAGE TO DRIVE ALONE WITH THE BABY IN THE CAR?

Is it the federal or state law, or just a common sence. I'm not trying to argue but to anderstand.

Thank you

skaterbabs

Babies are very safe - they don't need to be watched. If your concern is choking, then don't allow them to eat or have a toy on which they could choke.
The ONLY exception would be a child with severe health problems, in which case a second adult comes along. It is never safe to have a child in the front seat when the alternative is available.

U

Unregistered

I have 4 kids and have never had one of them in the front seat with me. If the baby cries, well, then they baby cries. As long as the baby is not in an sort of discomfort it's okay for a baby to cry. You should never tend to a child while driving regardless of wether they are in the front seat or the back seat.

If it's a long car trip, have another adult sit in the back if possible. Or, pull over every so often and take the baby out of the seat. But it's really best for children to be in back seat unless there is no other option or there is a medical reason.

L

Leo

Does anybody know what minivans has the option of taking front passenger airbag off?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No minivans have that option as far as I know. Because they have backseats.

And yes, in many states it's blatently illegal, and in I think all the other states it'll fall under the "used appropriately" aspect of the laws. Not to mention it's just plain irresponsible.

NEVER PUT A CHILD IN THE FRONT SEAT WHO IS UNDER 13. Never. Ever. NEVER. If they're so sick they need attention in the car then you either 1) never go in the car 2) have another adult sit in the back with them.

Even if you don't have an airbag then don't put the child in front. People in front are 40% more likely to be injured. And a wonderful video shown in my CPS class was one of a crash test dummy's head being knocked right off of the spine and out the window when the airbag went off behind her rearfacing infant seat. Without an airbag, since only older cars now don't have a passenger airbag, then you're risking having an engine plopped down on your child's face during an accident.

If you're so paranoid about your child in the car, then simply don't go anywhere.

And if I saw you I'd call the cops on you. Simple as that. No child should go in the front seat under the age of 13. Not when there are seats open in the back.

With a Honda Civic then I would put your 4 year old FFing in her carseat either in the middle (ideal) or on one side. I'd put your infant RFing on either side of the 4 year old, or on the other side. If your 4 year old can help with the infant put them next to each other, if not separate them.

Go see a car seat technician. They'll help you install your seat and help with positioning in your particular car. And they'll also tell you to never ever ever put an infant in the front seat of a car.

Wendy

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Standing ovation for Wendy, I totally agree.

My first child used to scream in the car as an infant whether anyone rode with her in the back seat or not. But at least I knew she was safer back there than she would ever be riding up front, especially if her screaming ever distracted me to the point of crashing, lol. :eek:

Parents manage to drive with a baby in the back seat all the time, knowing the front seat is never a safe option. It would be safer to use a soft and firmly secured aftermarket carseat mirror to glance back briefly to check on a rear facing baby than to ever put a baby up front. However I cringe even at the mirror notion due to the risk of the mirror becoming a deadly projectile during a crash.

Dawn

If you are concerned about seeing your baby while you drive there are large mirrors that strap to the back of the seat so you can look in your rear view mirror and see them. My SIL had 31 week preemie triplets that came home within days of each other and this allowed her to check on them while driving. She still uses it now and they are 1 year old. The back seat is the only safe option. I have an 04 Sienna and have watched it turn the airbag on the passenger side turn off and on when traveling with only my purse on the seat.

L

Leo

Yes, we thought about this option, and probably will buy one. Thanks for everybody who posted in this forum.
Switching to another subject, what minivan people recommend in terms of safety and convinience for the kids. My question is mostly about the "old" models, 2000-2005.

Thank you.

Yoshi

From what I hear from Toyota Sienna owners, they are very happy with the conveniences and safety features for families with a few kids.

I had a screamer baby myself- and she had reflux, so everywhere I went with her, I had to just breathe steady and stay calm, pull over when truly necessary. Or, I just didn't travel (very far )alone with her much until she was a bit older.

My friend has two kids, aged 3yrs. and 15 months. Since the baby was a very young infant, she would look at her big brother (because she rear-faces, this is possible), so she wouldn't cry as much as if she were alone in the back.

Just to repeat what everyone else said about the front seat- even w/out an airbag, it's just too risky in terms of crash dynamics,etc.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hondas, Toyotas, and, I think, Chryslers are some of the most family friendly vans (This is just an opinion on my part, Windstars are fine, but the back seats are very uncomfortable if you plan to sit back there with the kids! lol).
www.suvsafety.info has some information that might be helpful to decide on a choice.
And I just feel compelled to repeat, babies in properly installed and properly used seats are very safe and there's no reason to sit next to them in the car. If you have any worries that the baby's head is flopping forward, then do post in the carseat safety section and you'll get some great tips on proper recline and harness tightness to help remove some of the worry of not being next to the baby.
Good luck, and thanks for posting!
:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Mirrors are add on products that are not held to any safety standards, which can become dangerous projectiles in a crash ... so unless your baby has a medical condition I urge you not to use one -- they can & do pop off during a crash; although it might only weigh a few ounces it impacts the baby's face with at least a few pounds of force.

It's difficult to hear your baby cry, but crying while properly restrained in a moving vehicle until the adult can find a safe place to pull over is not negligent parenting -- single parents like me must do this on a daily basis & my daughter grew to love her carseat, staying RF until her 4th birthday ;)

The back seat is the safest place for ALL passengers, so I always like to sit in the back with my daughter when the opportunity arises, but when there's only 1 adult it's just one of those situations where patience & relaxation & even a bit of safe creativity to keep kiddos occupied comes in very useful!

Playing the same soothing music each time you start the car, having a familiar blanky or soft stuffed toy, etc. can help baby enjoy the ride more so that you can feel less stressed....

The front seat is an absolute last resort if the back seat is unavailable & even then RF seats must NEVER be installed in front of an active airbag -- my Freestar does have a front seat airbag shut off sensor, but it is not reliable: even with my daughter's stepfather sitting in the seat it sometimes turns off & when I tested out an empty FF seat there the airbag sensor randomly reactivated the airbag -- the dealership can find nothing wrong & Ford is not concerned so far, telling me simply not to install carseats there. Perhaps if enough people find this problem persists there could be a recall?

So, moral of the story -- grin & bear it, keep kiddos in the back, ask any more questions you wish & have your local CPST check your seats :)

GOOD LUCK

Dawn

I have an 04 Toyota Sienna XLE and love it! Well worth it.

I don't know where she bought them but the mirrors SIL picked out strap completely around the headrest of her sienna and lock in place. They have been very sturdy. I completely understand about projectiles but these have been pulled on and not moved.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I agree I would never place a baby in the front seat for any reason even medical reasons. As a mother of 2 girls (now 5 & 3) we never have had them in the front seat for any reasons. My youngest was a preemie. At the time I drove an '03 VW Passat.

If she cried I would pull over in a safe place and tend to her. I never tended to either of them while driving which would place you at greater risk for an accident to occur. My take on it is your baby isn't going to be hurt or injuried from crying but placing them in the front seat they can be.

While I do not promote the baby vehicle mirrors at all but it is a parental decision and there are risks to using one but the risks are less then placing them in the front seat.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
jen_nah said:
While I do not promote the baby vehicle mirrors at all but it is a parental decision and there are risks to using one but the risks are less then placing them in the front seat.

I agree 100%. A baby mirror is certainly safer than putting a baby in the front seat. It is also certainly safer than a distracted driver who is more worried about the baby in the backseat than the road and what lies ahead. There are definitely cases where the mirror might even be recommended! :)

justonemore07

Ok now i would never put my kids in the front seat. There were no guidelines when i was a kid and my sister and i were teenagers before we sat in the front.

But lets just say

Single mother drives a ford focus are some real small car. (and i know one and she drives a focus) All three kids are under 5. The oldest being 5. No way can she afford to buy a bigger car. What should she do. I know she puts her son 5 now in the front seat with a booster. She started this when he was 4.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
justonemore07 said:
Ok now i would never put my kids in the front seat. There were no guidelines when i was a kid and my sister and i were teenagers before we sat in the front.

But lets just say

Single mother drives a ford focus are some real small car. (and i know one and she drives a focus) All three kids are under 5. The oldest being 5. No way can she afford to buy a bigger car. What should she do. I know she puts her son 5 now in the front seat with a booster. She started this when he was 4.

I'm assuming she can't fit all three across the back? And she can't afford three narrow seats?

Making those assumptions, I'd put whoever is in a FFing carseat in the front if she must, and put the seat back as far as it can go. The carseat offers much more protection than a booster, so I'd put the less protected child in the more protected location (so the booster in the back).

However, I would strongly recommend she look at narrower seats. There are some that aren't expensive at all. But if that's not possible, and she can't get the three seats in back, even with a tech's help, then I'd put a FFing child in a carseat in the front seat.

Wendy

skaterbabs

In that case the situation changes a little. We're no longer talking about moving a child to the front seat when there is an acceptible seating position available, because there isn't one. The oldest FF harnessed child should go in front.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC