WWYD?

finn

Help please

I have my son who is 2 years old, 12kg (26lbs) & 92cm (36inch) in a Swedish Brio Zento, it is giving him bruises up his spine, so I decided after careful measuring & discovering that they are the same size to import a Maxi Cosi Priori for him to use rear facing. Well it arrived and he doesn't fit :(

I have found that we have several American seats here that rear face to 15kg /16kg (33lbs/35lbs), they are

Cosco Scenera $175.00 (rf 16kg/26lbs)
Evenflo Triumph Advance LX $359 (rf 15kg/33lbs)
Evenflo Triumph Advance DLX $389 (rf 15kg/33lbs)
Evenflo Triump Advance Premier $399 (rf 15kg/33lbs)
Safety First Alpha Omega Elite $279 (rf 16kg/35lbs)

Would you buy or recommend any of these?

I have a Recaro Young Sport that he can use for forward facing & that converts into a booster, or would you just give up & just face him forward now?

Thanks

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are you able to re-sell the Priori to regain some of the expense?

Are you able to try the seats in your vehicle to see how they fit? What kind of vehicle do you drive?

If it would work, and if money isn't an issue, I'd be inclined to get a Triumph Advance LX (same as the other ones, just different LATCH connectors and not as much infant padding.)

Keeping him rf'ing is obviously important to you since you imported a 2nd swedish seats, so if you're able to make it work I think I'd try.

And to explain my reasoning on saying the Triumph, it will also buy you extra time ff'ing in the harness both by weight and by height making it a better choice than the 3in1 seat, and it has energy absorbing foam, plus higher weight/height limits than the Scenera which again makes me prefer it.

(I'm going to move this to the CDN and International forum since you don't live in the US, just so that people don't immediately question the prices on the seats or how you imported them. :thumbsup: )

mommycat

Trudy, would you still choose the EFTA if the 3-in-1 is one of the new 35lbRF/50lbFF seats? Don't these come out about equal for fit after the change? I've been wondering about that.

canadiangie

Why is the Brio Zento bruising his back?? That seems odd to me.

Is the Zento LATCH compatible? Or is it a seatbelt install? Could it be the buckle stalk in the belt path??

:confused:

finn

We dont have latch over here, so it is installed using the seat belt. It is installed using the rear facing belt path so under his legs, if that makes sense. It bruises his back because he is boney, lol, and it has eps foam all the way down to his bum but it is raised in the centre slightly and the cover isn't very thick so the raise rubs on his spine & gives him a bruise.

I will sell the Priori and regain all of my money (they are super popular & hard to get over here). Unfortunately I cant try out the triumph's they are from an online shop :( I drive a 98 BMW 318i, it has reasonably horrible bucket seats in the back and a hump in the middle lol.

Just a note all of the above mentioned seats are legally for sale in New Zealand, they are American seats, thats why I hadn't put it in the Canadian & International forum.

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We dont have latch over here, so it is installed using the seat belt. It is installed using the rear facing belt path so under his legs, if that makes sense. It bruises his back because he is boney, lol, and it has eps foam all the way down to his bum but it is raised in the centre slightly and the cover isn't very thick so the raise rubs on his spine & gives him a bruise.

I will sell the Priori and regain all of my money (they are super popular & hard to get over here). Unfortunately I cant try out the triumph's they are from an online shop :( I drive a 98 BMW 318i, it has reasonably horrible bucket seats in the back and a hump in the middle lol.

Just a note all of the above mentioned seats are legally for sale in New Zealand, they are American seats, thats why I hadn't put it in the Canadian & International forum.

So you usually install in the center or would you ever have to install in the middle? I'd be inclined to nix the EFTA given that you have bucket seats in the outboard positions.. the knobs would likely be near impossible to use if not completely impossible. Center it probably wouldn't be a problem, though I'd have to see a pic of your back seat to say that with any certainty.

I knew they were US seats and legally available in NZ, I just moved it so that people knew you didn't have the full selection of US seats and that prices etc. would be different. If you think the post is being missed I can always move it back. :thumbsup:

Is the 3in1 seat available to you the old version or the new version? How tall is your ds now?

Since money isn't the issue, and going sight unseen, I'd be more inclined to choose the 3in1 seat since it's install issues can be dealt with the vast majority of the time while if the knobs are useless on the EFTA there's not much you can do. You already have a ff'ing harnessed seat so the overall shorter harness height isn't an issue (if it's still the old one you'd be getting.)

Not sure I've been that much help now. :eek:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I personally find it strange that the EPS foam is bruising his back. EPS should dent under the kind of forces needed to cause bruises. It makes me think that either your DS has an unusual curve to his spine, or that there is a flaw in the EPS foam (like a foreign object inside the EPS). Can you maybe investigate a little further and post pictures of the Zento without the cover. If there is a flaw in the EPS it is possible you may be able to call..Umm.. Graco is the parent company for Brio, right? and get new foam inserts.

finn

Thanks for your help :)

I went and looked at the all in one today, it has the headrest & harness that you don't need to re-thread if that makes sense, it rear faces to 16kg/35lbs & forward faces to 18kg/40lbs so its an old one. Ds was on the second click from the top & had maybe 1.5 inches of shell above his head.

I'm not sure who the parent company is for Brio. Here is the review for the Brio seat, http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37085 it has naked pictures in it. The foam looks flat in the pictures but it is slightly raised in the middle in my seat. I might need to go and look at another Brio and see if its raised.

I have just started putting him outboard passenger side as I do daycare so need to get another child in the car & they dont fit side by side.

lil96

I am not sure where you got your Priori from but here the priori is ff only and if you tried to rf that could be the problem. but other places have a conv priori, maybe check to make sure it is a conv.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC