Nautilus Question

NSmom

I just picked up my GN today, and while reading the manual noticed that it says nothing about being able to use latch to secure the seat in booster mode. I had read in several posts that the new US manuals state that you can use latch in booster mode, anyone have any idea why we can't do this in Canada? Maybe I just missed it in the manual...if anyone else has found it, can you please tell me where to find it!

ADS

canmom

I noticed that too... I have been told (through the board) that it is ok to use LATCH in booster mode on the GN. Maybe give Graco a call to confirm though :thumbsup:.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Unless you get a confirmation from Graco, I'd just follow what is said in the manual for now. Just assume that it was not tested that way to Canadian standards.

Any Canadian tech asked this of Graco yet? Any insight for the Canadian Nautilus?

babychild taxi

Hi,

I could be wrong, but I think LATCH can only be used to 40/48lbs in most if not all vehicles, not used to 65lbs. This doesn't give much time for booster use w/LATCH when child could be safer harnessed at that time/weight.

Maybe a Tech can confirm...

canmom

I think the general consensus among techs is that for booster use going over the vehicle LATCH limit would be ok because in a booster it is the vehicle seatbelt that is holding the child in place not LATCH. With a harnessed seat LATCH would be holding the car seat in as well as in turn the harness, KWIM?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think the general consensus among techs is that for booster use going over the vehicle LATCH limit would be ok because in a booster it is the vehicle seatbelt that is holding the child in place not LATCH. With a harnessed seat LATCH would be holding the car seat in as well as in turn the harness, KWIM?

That's right. The benefit to having LATCH with a booster is only that it prevents the seat from being a projectile should the booster not be buckled in when empty. It may also have the benefit of the seat not moving around when the child is getting in to the seat, but that's about it. It's holding the weight of the seat and none of the weight of the child because the weight of the child is held by the vehicle seat belt..

I haven't looked closely through the booster section of the Nautilus manual as I've only seen a couple and both kids have been a long ways off from using it as a booster, but I know that other Graco combination seats allow the use of top tether in booster mode. It's worth calling Graco for clarification, but it's certainly not something I'd stress over - speaking as a parent. If they haven't warned against using it in booster mode, I wouldn't have concerns. Booster seat standards are pretty simple in the grand scheme of things and I fail to see how the use of LATCH could prevent the seat from passing standards in one country and not the other.. Just a matter of the manufacturer's position on it, and I'd be surprised if they had a different position on CDN seats than US seats. Though it's happened before so I guess anything is possible...

NSmom

I am a long way from using at as a booster, DD is only 36 lbs, and when the time comes, whether I use it or not will depend on how it fits her as a booster. I just happened to notice that it wasn't mentioned in the manual. I tried callng Graco yesterday, but gave up after almost 10 minutes on hold! If I ever do get through I will update with their response.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC