WWYD?

Heather98012

I posted a similar thread about 5 or 6 months ago, but new seats are always coming out, so I figured I'd just start a new one.

There is a pretty good chance I will be going back to work FT but only for 8-10 weeks (filling in on a maternity leave). My mom & dad are retired so they will watch my dd, take her to preschool, dance class, etc. So we need to install a seat in their car.

DD rides in a Frontier in both my vehicle & dh's. I could take the one from dh's ride & install it in my mom's, but I'm a little worried about the twisty straps, etc. I'm afraid they wouldn't pay enough attention. Well, I think my mom would, but I could see my dad spacing out & twisting them. And I don't think there is any way they could uninstall it & get it back in there correctly if need be (my mom & I both drive Hyundai's & while they are different models, the Frontier is a BEAST to get in a Hyundai). So...I want to make this as idiot proof as possible.

Ok...DD is currently 4 years, 2 months. By the time I would be covering the maternity leave, she would be 4 1/2 years old. She is currently 40 lbs & 44 1/4" tall. I can measure her torso height when she's home from preschool, but I will say she is all legs.

So....would you get a Nautli? Or would you get one of the SafeGuard's that are on sale? Or...for her age...would it be better to get a booster? I'm freaked out about that, but she would be 4.5 then. She IS a very good rider in her seat; rarely moves, sits straight, is very chill in her seat. But she's never been in a booster, so I dunno for sure. And would you get a HBB or a backless like the Olli? I think I'd definately want a latchable one, if I did it at all.

So, here are the options as I see them. Feel free to give me your opinions, advice, or throw out another option if I haven't thought of it. Again...I'm shooting for the easiest operation for my parents, but also don't want to compromise on safety!! TIA!

1) Take the Frontier from DH's & install it in Grandma's ride. Either do nothing for DH or get a booster for him as an emergency back up.

2) Purchase a new harnessed seat for Grandma's car. If so, which one?

3) Purchase a booster for Grandma's car. If so, which one?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well...would they have to uninstall it ever? If so, I'd just get a nauti. It can be installed an uninstalled easily, you would have to TRY to twist the straps, the adjuster pulls, smooth, the buckle has a very easy mechanism to unbuckle, very user friendly.
if you could just get it in once and leave it, I'd probably go ahead and put dad's frontier in there.....dd is old enough to be educated about not letting herself be buckled in with twist straps, right? That way you don't have to buy another seat...unless you would like to have a backup seat anyway, in which case I'd just buy the nauti.
I've been toying with the thought of a booster for dd...but just can't bring myself to do it. Even though my dd sits really well too (I never realized it, but our dd's are very similar, dd is 4 and 4 months, about the same size. ) I just think I'd worry too much, and I just watched a booster-submarining crash video, so I'm pretty freaked right now, lol.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'd buy the Nautilus. However, for a child that age and size, I would also consider a good highbacked booster, but not a backless. Personally, a Monterey would be my first choice for a booster, but there are plenty of other good ones and with a booster, fit is the most important feature.

Heather98012

Yeah, IF I was going to do a booster, it would be HBB. I'm just not ok with a low back one at that age (I'm not all that keen on a booster at all, though!).

I'm assuming the Oobr will be latchable & I think it comes out right around May (allegedly). Are the Vivo or Vivo Lite latchable? What other HBB's are latchable?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well...your frontier is, LOL! Actually, that might not be a bad option..if you are afraid of getting installs incorrect, and having twisty straps, etc, you might consider using your current frontier, just in HBB mode, in gramma's car. then you would also be able to do a little bit of "training" and observation of dd between now and then...and it is still a nice familiar seat for her to be in.

Heather98012

Well...your frontier is, LOL! Actually, that might not be a bad option..if you are afraid of getting installs incorrect, and having twisty straps, etc, you might consider using your current frontier, just in HBB mode, in gramma's car. then you would also be able to do a little bit of "training" and observation of dd between now and then...and it is still a nice familiar seat for her to be in.

Very good point! Maybe I'll just use the Frontier & save money. I think I'm just looking for an excuse to get a new seat. :p

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Very good point! Maybe I'll just use the Frontier & save money. I think I'm just looking for an excuse to get a new seat. :p

LOL..I'm sorry, what I MEANT to say is..of course you need a new seat...possibly 2 or 3 new seats....you should get 1 in every color! and at least one of every manufacturer....:D

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have an almost-5 daughter and there is NO WAY I will booster her in the next year. She's just too little (37 lbs.) and immature. She's close to the top slots on her Radian. I just bought her a SafeGuard for a spare (until we get a Sienna; then it will be her primary.) I think I'm going to get another for her little sister. My main reason for getting 2 is so I can easily put them in my mom's car for her to take the kids to her house to play Play Doh while I take a nap with the baby once in a while! LOL! I love the idea of that super-simple LATCH (since I think it will be about 4 years before my daughter hits 48 lbs. at this rate, lol.)

Heather98012

LOL..I'm sorry, what I MEANT to say is..of course you need a new seat...possibly 2 or 3 new seats....you should get 1 in every color! and at least one of every manufacturer....:D

LOL...too true!

I'm just gonna wait & see. I will likely throw the Frontier from dh's Sequoia into my mom's suv. But, who knows...maybe I'll change my mind as it gets closer. It's never a bad thing to have a spare seat. Thanks for the input everyone!

Heather98012

Ok, update: I am going back to work, however it's only 1 day a week. So....I'm still trying to decide what to do (have a few weeks...start date is April 3rd).

1) Put Frontier from my hubby's ride into Grandma's car. Use it in harness mode or booster mode (likely harnassed).

2) Get a Nauti for my mom's car. Is it easier to use than the Frontier? I want to make this as easy as possible for my parents.

3) Get a HBB. Would have to be latchable; rigid LATCH is preferred, but not required. Options as I see it are Vivo, Monterey, or the Oobr when it's out. (Maybe I'm just trying to justify this 'cause I love the look of the Oobr so much!)

I tried the Vivo a week or two ago; it fit dd well, but both my dh & my mom were giving me a ration of crap about the headwings ("she can't see"). I told them to shut up 'cause safety was my first priority. I'm assuming they will say the same about the Monterey or the Oobr, but again, I don't care.

DD will be 4 years 4 months in April. She is 44 1/4" tall & weighs 43 lbs (maybe a bit less; we were in the dr's this week right after lunch..she weighed 40 lbs in December). My heart says harness her, but my brain says it's kinda silly to get another harnassed seat when she's almost 4.5 & it will be once a week. I could always get the booster for DH's car for a backup, but then we're pretty much required to ALWAYS take my car anywhere we go. And I tried her in the Nauti today & she fits ok, but I feel like the headwings felt cheap. Not enough padding, IMO. But then again...it's once a week, KWIM?

GAH! I'm overthinking this. Help!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
For only once a week, I would seriously consider a HBB. Of course, you'd need to do a little "booster training" with her in your car, on short rides first. Or just use your frontier as a booster. If it were full-time, I'd stick with a harness but for once a week, at her age and size, she is big enough and sounds mature enough to sit in a booster (you have a few weeks to try her out first).

mamabear

how far are your parents driving her??

If it were me I'd either get a Nautilus, assuming it installs well in their car, or a HBB.:twocents:

I started booster training DD at 4.5 in grandmas car. Granted they were only driving like 6 blocks. Across town during rush hour or on the freeway, notsomuch.

too bad the new Parkway won't be out in time, I'm soooo looking for an excuse to get it. I like the Oobr too, but it's pricey for just the "very" occasional use.

Heather98012

how far are your parents driving her??

My parents live about 5 mins from the preschool. But I think my mom will bring her back to my house after school; so maybe a 15-20 minute drive?! Not too bad, but more than a few blocks.

After reading all the issues with the Nauti buckle, I'm not so excited about that (not that I ever was that big of a fan of it). Hhhmmm....

And I just don't want to trade cars with my mom. My job is like 25 miles away each way & I don't want to put those miles on her vehicle. Hhmmm...

Heather98012

Ooohhh...had another idea. What about the Safeguard Go? I wouldn't use it for daily use, but maybe for once a week it'd be ok. (And then I'd have it for travelling.) It would go into a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. Thoughts?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Ooohhh...had another idea. What about the Safeguard Go? I wouldn't use it for daily use, but maybe for once a week it'd be ok. (And then I'd have it for travelling.) It would go into a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. Thoughts?

I think this is a good use of a Go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC