Do they all say this or is it a mistake?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I have a friend's Evenflo Big Kid sitting in my entry way and of course I was checking it out. I found this label on the seat and then decided to check out the manual where it says something totally different and I wondered if it was a mistake? I do feel this can be confusing since we tell parents to read the manual.

Here are some pictures, they are big so you can see what I mean. Remember this is a Canadian booster and has the CMVSS sticker:

carseat092-1.jpg

It says this on the front of the manual as well
carseat094.jpg

Pointing out it says Transport Canada in the manual:
carseat093.jpg

Side of the seat, it says something different then the manual. The seat also has a minimum height limit:
carseat096.jpg

Has anyone else come across this :confused:

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I actually noticed the 4 to 10yrs on the new patterned big kid booster at work a week ago, but didn't have time to look in the manual and just thought it was rather interesting.

How old was the seat that you saw? I wonder if they've changed the stickers but not changed the manual yet? I know a lot of people have complained to them about the minimum 1yr and that it should be raised...

Which to go by, I'm not sure. Minimum height I always go by but really in a lot of cases parents don't have booster seat manuals and I have to rely on the stickers for anything special... Which thankfully boosters rarely have. Add in to the mix that I'd be telling a parent with a kid under 4 that they shouldn't be using a booster anyways...So in many cases parents would only know what their stickers say.

The way that sticker is set up it's kind of like a quick reference... but since it varies from the manual, I'm not sure what would be more definitive if it came to a case of proper use and ticket or no ticket... I suspect that nothing would be able to be proven either way since they're supposed to match.

So yeah, all that to say I'm not sure completely - call Evenflo and ask?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I actually noticed the 4 to 10yrs on the new patterned big kid booster at work a week ago, but didn't have time to look in the manual and just thought it was rather interesting.

How old was the seat that you saw? I wonder if they've changed the stickers but not changed the manual yet? I know a lot of people have complained to them about the minimum 1yr and that it should be raised...

Which to go by, I'm not sure. Minimum height I always go by but really in a lot of cases parents don't have booster seat manuals and I have to rely on the stickers for anything special... Which thankfully boosters rarely have. Add in to the mix that I'd be telling a parent with a kid under 4 that they shouldn't be using a booster anyways...So in many cases parents would only know what their stickers say.

The way that sticker is set up it's kind of like a quick reference... but since it varies from the manual, I'm not sure what would be more definitive if it came to a case of proper use and ticket or no ticket... I suspect that nothing would be able to be proven either way since they're supposed to match.

So yeah, all that to say I'm not sure completely - call Evenflo and ask?

I thought that in Canada that they weren't allowed to have the 1yr minimum on there :confused:

The seat is a 2005 DOM.

snowbird25ca

I thought that in Canada that they weren't allowed to have the 1yr minimum on there :confused:

The seat is a 2005 DOM.

The only requirement by CMVSS regulations so far as I understand is that the seat lists the size and weight of the child the seat is designed to fit.

The Parkway as well as the Graco boosters both stated 1yr as minimums. The only reason for them putting the 1yr minimum in there really is because of under 1yr old rf'ing and them making sure that a child who should still be rf'ing isn't put into a booster.

Until the Frontier, there weren't any booster seats that had a specific minimum age requirement other than 1yr old. IIRC, the Nautilus manual says 3 now for the HBB and 4 for the backless, which is a big improvement over the old 1yr minimum... So maybe more manufacturers are starting to raise their minimum age limits for booster use?

At any rate, there's nothing stopping them from putting 1yr minimum, and even Britax had the same thing on the Parkway.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Really????

I thought that Graco had a minimum of 4yrs and 40lbs on their boosters as did most boosters in Canada?

On the label of the big kid it has on the seat it has a minimum age of 4yrs and 40lbs and 40 inches. That info just isn't in the manual.

snowbird25ca

Really????

I thought that Graco had a minimum of 4yrs and 40lbs on their boosters as did most boosters in Canada?

On the label of the big kid it has on the seat it has a minimum age of 4yrs and 40lbs and 40 inches. That info just isn't in the manual.

Nope, weight and height limits, but until recently none had the 4yr age minimum. It was discussed awhile back in regards to proper use and kids having to stay harnessed until 4yrs old, but it's one of those things that has been repeated over and over but just wasn't true. Allport had confirmed at the time that no booster had specified minimum age 4 etc. (This was pre- Frontier.)

As for the manual and sticker discrepancy though, that's really strange.. and it's obviously been that way for a number of years. I'd call Evenflo and probably PM Allport for her input as well.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I think that's why we've been stating the age limit of 4 years for so long and have varying opinions on it. For the longest time I thought the 4 year age limit was required, but so many people stated it was not... now I'm guessing that this is the kind of thing that made me think 4 years was required by law.

The manual states one thing, but the seat clearly states another... since we don't generally have the manuals at checks, we're going off of the stickers for proper use, hence the 4 year age limit.

I haven't looked at the stickers on my boosters in a long time, but I'm curious what they say now too. I don't have my TB to check anymore... just a Parkway and an Oto.

Either way, I'd be inclined to follow the instructions on the seat, both because I know it makes the child safer and because the seat is what the ticketing officer would be looking at... in the meantime, I'd want to get clarification from Evenflo.

hipmaman

I have to say that I've never looked at the Evenflo booster that closely to even notice the mentioning of age or the discrepancy. It certainly bears contacting Evenflo and Allport/TC.

Shanora

My manual for my Oldest DS' Graco LBB says the following

To use this Graco booster seat, your child MUST meet ALL of the following requirements:
(Approximately 4 to 10 years old):
-Weight between 18 and 45 kg (mass between 40 and 100 lbs), and
- Are between 101 and 145 cm (40 and 57 inches) in height, and
- the shoulder belt MUST lay across child's shoulders in red zone as shown in (1) or (2) and the lap portion is positioned low in the childs hips, and
- when using back support - the childs ears are below top of booster seat. If tops of ears are above top of seat, your child is to larger for the booster seat.
- without back support - when sitting on the booster seat, your child's ears are below the top of the vehicle sear cushion/head rest

Last edited:

Shanora

It also states on the side of the booster on the stickers that its 4 year and 40 pounds to use the booster (added in another post rather than edit the above one for the 6th time...lol)

canadiangie

I helped someone with a Generations a few wks ago and the manual stated the child must be at least 3 and 40lbs to use it in bpb mode. It was a pleasent surprise and I was sure to mention it to the parent. DOM was very recent. I actually mailed off the registration (and filled it out), and IIRC it was an October '08 DOM. ?? Either way, very recent DOM.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
My manual for my Oldest DS' Graco LBB says the following
Thanks for that info. I like that they have a minimum height requirement because I would imagine it isn't all that likely to have 40" 1 year old. Not saying it couldn't and wouldn't happen just it isn't as likely. The Evenflo only stated a minimum height on the seat not in the manual.

I helped someone with a Generations a few wks ago and the manual stated the child must be at least 3 and 40lbs to use it in bpb mode. It was a pleasent surprise and I was sure to mention it to the parent. DOM was very recent. I actually mailed off the registration (and filled it out), and IIRC it was an October '08 DOM. ?? Either way, very recent DOM.

Did it have a minimum height requirement?

April

Very interesting. I always did think that it was 4 and 40 on all the boosters here, although I admit I haven't paid close attention to that as I would never even consider putting a child younger/smaller than that in a booster anyways!

Maybe the parents needing that in the manual so they don't put their under one year old in the booster are also the parents who need that warning in there about not letting your child suck on ice cream sticks in a moving vehicle? :scratcheshead: What a weird manual.

canadiangie

Thanks for that info. I like that they have a minimum height requirement because I would imagine it isn't all that likely to have 40" 1 year old. Not saying it couldn't and wouldn't happen just it isn't as likely. The Evenflo only stated a minimum height on the seat not in the manual.

Did it have a minimum height requirement?

Oh, I can't remember. I can remember to check next time our friend swings by though... or, Trudy could check next time she's at work. :p:whistle:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I have an US Big Kid (02/28/04), and it does say 3-10 years w/ back, 4-10 years w/o back on the label. I can't find the manual right now. If you want a picture of the label, I can get one. It does look different from the Canadian version.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC