? about seat checks and free or reduced price seats.

remken

If You go to a check and have a kid that is 40pds but still under 4 do they give you a higher weight seat?

Just curious because my great neice is 16 month 36pds. Not sure on her height but she is on the top slots of the scenera.

So most likely will hit 40pds before shes 3. Wich we all know is to young for a booster.

I have been telling her mom to start saving up for a higher weight seat, but that just goes in one ear and out the other.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In very few instances, I think, are seats GIVEN away. They may have some given for a donation, but I wouldn't count on that either. From what my instructors said (and I hope someone here who has done more checks will confirm or deny this) they may send parents to a store to buy a seat while they wait with the other parent and kid. Often they do checks in front of Walmart, Target, BRU for this purpose. So I wouldn't count on a free seat, or even a low price seat.

Does your sister have high headrests? The Apex 65 harnesses to 65 pounds and then turns into a booster and it's $100 or so. But it requires high headrests. That may be something she wants to look into.

Wendy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We hardly ever give free seats and we definitely don't have any that harness over 40#. She would be given a booster if she was over 40# or too tall for her seat w/ a LONG speech from me on how this isn't safe either and she needs a different seat. On another note, holy cow! AJ is 3 and 35# w/ all his clothes on and Evan is only 22# at 20 mos. :)

remken

I didn't think she would get a free seat. But I had to ask just to see.

Thepeach80 yes she is huge. My neice the baby's mom is one of those moms that thinks every time her dd cries shes hungry. So she constantly feeding her.

B

bucket2

Diddo. We might have seats for sale/donation (usually at our cost - $30/40 for a convertable) and while the price is good, the selection is not.

Certainly don't have higher weight harnessed seat, although we have had Airways and Laptops in the recent past. We "saved" them for families with lap belt only in the back seat.

Our community does give "vouchers" for families receiving state assistance and they do get a seat. Even then the families are encouraged to donate what they can afford. In those cases, usually the agency/company sponsoring the check has donated $$ for seats.

U

Unregistered

Not here. Gosh that would have been fantastic LOL. I have a 33lb 15m old and a 65lbs 4yr old. They arent fat at all either, just giant-- 4yr old is over 4ft tall and 15m old is over 3 feet. Britax seats are the only thing that worked for me period with my oldest! I knew enough to know that my 2yr old (liam was 40lbs and 40in at his 2 yr checkup) wasnt old enough to move to a booster. I actually had him in a marathon at that point, but he just didnt really fit well in it over about 45lbs. He is very broad through the shoulders, and even with the other foam insert he still looked squished, so very soon after his yr bday we moved into the husky.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC