What to look for in Sienna

christineka

As soon as our tax refund comes we get to go shopping. Yay!!! Dh wants a 2007. We need 8 passenger seating. What models are there with 8 passenger seating? What sort of features should we look for? Would you choose leather or cloth seats? (There is one for sale right now in our price range.) Any safety features or anything to look for?

If you are an anti dvd player in the vehicle person, would you still buy a vehicle with a dvd player? Can you take those systems out? (I am very much apposed to watching a screen in the car. So far my kids are perfectly happy with that too.)

ADS

Citrine

I do not blame you for being anti dvd player in the car. We have one in our car and the only time we use it, is when we go on our trips back to our family which is 17hr away. thats 2x a year. Other then that, I never use it in the car. I dont have anything to say about the sienna, as i drive a pilot, but wanted to put my :twocents: in on the dvd player.

Olivia 4.26.04 40lb 45in regent/gn
makayla 9.16.06 27lb 30in rf wizard

oxeye

They don't make 8 passenger Sienna's with leather. The 8 passenger is only the CE and LE models and only non-AWDs. So you'll have to forgo leather if you really need the 8 passenger.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I suspect the leather seats in that particular '07 Sienna van are some sort of custom aftermarket deal rather than factory equipped, as are the headrest DVD/video screens, because leather isn't otherwise factory available in the 8-passenger Sienna, and the factory DVD player is ceiling mounted to the best of my knowledge. :twocents: It looks sharp, doesn't it? However, the aftermarket aspect of the leather seating is a concern from the standpoint of the front side torso airbags because they may not function properly if the aftermarket leather seat cover design doesn't allow them to deploy properly. A 2007 model would have factory equipped seat mounted side torso airbags for the front seats, and side curtain airbags for all three rows. I do not see a sign of the factory side torso airbag tags on the front seats, as though they're covered up entirely by the leather seating material, which may be due to the camera angle, but it's a caveat in my book that their functionality may be compromised. :twocents:

emandbri

I'm wondering if maybe the leather doesn't hold up well when flipping the seats to get the back, maybe that is why they don't offer it. I do remember someone on siennaclub bought an XLE with leather but he was in Europe and I don't recall the story.

NannyMom

Those seats must have been redone after buying the van. I have a Sienna LE (that van). There are no buttons to identify the LATCH anchors, and I don't see the tags on the front seats that indicate the airbags. I'd be very concerned, espcially because of the airbags.

As for the DVD players in the headrest, when I bought my van The dealer gave me the option of having that done or not. I don't let kids watch DVDs in the car. It wouldn't do much good since DD is rearfacing :) Sometimes I think it would be nice to have "just in case". But I think it would tempt DH too much to allow DVD watching in the car (he allows waaay too much when he's in charge at home).

The LE has 1 power sliding door (passenger side) and the CE has 2 power sliding doors (not sure if the trunk is power on the CE or only on XLE).

christineka

Okay, so leather seats are aftermarket and I should stay away.

How about this thing with power doors? I've never had a power door. Our previous vehicle was an Odyssey with the regular car type doors on both sides. We've had our aerostar for a few years and I hate having one door and that the kids have a hard time closing it. They also aren't the most willing to try. I frequently have to remind them (the two oldest) to close the door. When dropping off, I often have to get out and re close the door. But, we only have one, so maybe one power door would be enough? Or maybe with 6 kids I should have two.

So, should I look for 1 or 2 power doors?

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I would go on Toyota's site and play w/ their "builder." Use their comparison option as well.

I know you are looking for a 2007 but many of these options are still the same in the current models. It can give you a better idea of what is available for each model.

NannyMom

Okay, so leather seats are aftermarket and I should stay away.

How about this thing with power doors? I've never had a power door. Our previous vehicle was an Odyssey with the regular car type doors on both sides. We've had our aerostar for a few years and I hate having one door and that the kids have a hard time closing it. They also aren't the most willing to try. I frequently have to remind them (the two oldest) to close the door. When dropping off, I often have to get out and re close the door. But, we only have one, so maybe one power door would be enough? Or maybe with 6 kids I should have two.

So, should I look for 1 or 2 power doors?

In my previous vehicle, I had no power doors. I did nanny for a Woman that had the Sienna XLE with all power doors. WHen I bought my van, I was disapointed to find out it only had 1 :( But I figured I'd always lived with none, so I could live with 1 :) I would much rather have 2 now though. Especially since with carpool the kids are getting out the driver's side door (baby's seat will be on the passenger's side) and I have to get out to open and close for them (I'm cautious about them doing the door because of pinched fingers and such).

I think they told me on my new van (2008, bought the end of 2007) it would be a difference of $50/ month for the 2nd power door. But, it was too late for me.

oxeye

The LE has 1 power sliding door (passenger side) and the CE has 2 power sliding doors (not sure if the trunk is power on the CE or only on XLE).

The CE is the base model isn't it? I know the LE comes with passenger side power door (but I think it's an upgrade). I'd be kind of surprised if the CE came with both when it's the base model.

I love the 8 seater. Unlike pretty much every other vehicle (esp minivans), the 8th seat is a full size seat. I don't think leather is necessary either. My mom has the LE and BIL has the XLE or limited (whichever one was the highest). BIL's leather is just thrashed. He said it didn't provide any benefits over the cloth seats in his past car and the leather gets COLD during the chillier months.

I like the LE. I like how it has 1 power and 1 regular sliding door. Power can be nice on occasion, but I often find it too slow and I get frustrated by the speed. It's nice to have a choice of which one to open. Power if I have my hands full, regular for all the other times.

NannyMom

The CE is the base model isn't it? I know the LE comes with passenger side power door (but I think it's an upgrade). I'd be kind of surprised if the CE came with both when it's the base model.

I thought the LE was the lowest? I thought they'd told me LE had 1 power door, CE had 2. But, I could be wrong... It was a year ago :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No, Roxie is correct. The Sienna CE is the base model and the LE is the mid-range model in between the CE and XLE models. :) I would be very surprised if the CE has more than one power door if it even has one power door available. When we were van shopping in '05, the LE could only be had with an optional power door on the passenger side, and the CE didn't seem to have a power door option at all.

A lot of dealers have no clue as to what they're selling. I wouldn't be surprised if they told you wrong. Hopefully unintentionally, but intentionally is not out of the question.

Dawn

www. sienna club .org
Lots of info and pictures.

CE-Base (7 or 8 passenger)
LE- Mid (7 or 8 passenger) 1 power sliding door.
XLE- High (7 passenger) 2 sliding doors and power lift gate
XLE-AWD and includes all of the above.

I have an 04 Sienna XLE but a base model. No leather, no dvd. It's been a good van. Check recalls on the website above. They have a section for just NTSB advisories.

mamaofthree

I vote for one power door, that way when they start to break, you only have to pay to fix one, or if you can't afford to fix it, you can only be annoyed by the one broken one instead of two.

Can you tell my power door is breaking? It still works sometimes, but most of the time it closes and then reopens. Drives me batty! Especially in the carpool lane, cause then I have to get up and climb to that side to pull it shut. At first I thought maybe it needed to be cleaned or oiled, but dh pointed out to me that a hook it is supposed to latch on when closing isn't lining up properly with the door, so its not catching. Its like the door is sagging a bit, and needs to be adjusted. I guess cause it is so heavy, it would have to do this over time? Its a 2004, and just started this. I need to take it in before I go cuckoo.

Kimberly

oxeye

Can you tell my power door is breaking? It still works sometimes, but most of the time it closes and then reopens.

That would drive me batty too! The people at the dealership just had to tell me how much it would cost to fix certain things in the van (the radio, power doors, etc) to convince me it was worth it to pay for the extended 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

I'm going to have my van for a VERY long time .... and I don't intend to pay out of pocket to fix anything. ;)

That's why I like the LE. Only 1 power door gives you the convenience of a power door, but when you want to avoid the problems (like if it breaks), you still have one manual one.

Jennifer mom to my 7

You can actually shut that 1 power door off, too. There is a switch up front near the door lockouts. Came in handy when our battery died on us (which it tried to do while we were driving!).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC