Buy the SS1 or wait for a KF30 deal??

monstah

I really, really want a KeyFit for the new baby due in June, but under $100 for an SS1 on albeebaby seems like a deal too good to pass up.

Do Chicco's have a history of going on clearance? Maybe a certain month they start clearing out old covers?

If I'm not likely to get a good deal on a KF, then maybe I should just get an SS1.:( It's really killing me that it seems like EVERYTHING is being sold for less than full price. Except my KF.

Last edited:
ADS

keri1292

No advice really, but I'll be going for a KF for our last baby. My kids are small and the KF should last plenty long enough for them to grow into the Britax convertible.

I don't really like the SS1. My youngest fit in one until he was 3y6m. :eek:

seamonkeys

I went through the same dilemma! I was really tempted by those cheap SS1's. But I didn't cave because I don't like the following about the SS1:

1. Huge chest buckle
2. Most have the head support that I feel doesn't help
3. It's so bulky
4. No harness strap pads (maybe a few do, but not most)

The cheapest I found the KF30 when I was looking, was about $160 (at Albeebaby.com - ETA just checked and only the Race is in stock now for $163.99). Don't know if they ever go cheaper.

Kat_Momof3

the ss1 is taller, so since you have big kids, I think you may prefer the ss1.

I'd go for it on sale... if you get it and don't like it, you could always put it up on ebay, craigslist, or swap.

sb518

New Keyfit covers are supposed to be coming out in Spring '09 so they might clearance the older covers at that time. (I know because I wanted a Bella Keyfit for a girl and it won't be available until spring '09) I changed my mind and went for the Snugride anyway, I detest the keyfit canopies.

melniemi

I didn't like the SS1 nearly as much as the KF. The infant insert on the KF is just so useful and cozy and the headsupport actually really works well. It felt so much sturdier and it doesn't have the "lip" on the sides of the seat. I tend to carry them with the handle looped through my arm to my elbow and rest the side of the seat on my hip. The SS1 was painful empty like that, the KF - felt nice:)

I don't know. I like the KF enough to want one again, even though they are now pricier than when I got one last. I got 10% off at baby universe so it was $135, but now they are more for regular price, so the sales won't be that good.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I had the same debate myself before DS2 was born, and ended up buying the SS1. I really couldn't justify how much the KF cost, especially since we had to buy an extra base and this is our last baby. I stalked for months and never saw them go on sale (more than just $10 or $20 off).

I first met the KF installing it for a soon-to-be mom at a clinic, and fell in love with it! It really is a sweet little seat, and I really would have liked to have one. That said, I like the SS1 a lot now too. DS2 shocked us by being over 10 lbs at birth (never in a million years would I have dreamed that possible) and he fit so well in it, even without the infant insert, it looked like it was made for him. I expect him to be in it for a good long while still.

The only con I can think of: It is HEAVY -- even empty it's about 10 pounds! Everything else I like about it.

seamonkeys

I detest the keyfit canopies.

Have to agree, the canopy isn't great. But I often had to put a blanket over my Snugride to thoroughly cover, so I'll just do the same. For me, the rest of the pros outweighed that one con. I did also get it for $150 (not as cheap as a SS1, but still decent).

monstah

My biggest complaint about the KF is also the canopy. I wish it was bigger and I hate how it is attached by velcro. I already plan on removing the velcro pieces. (If nothing else can wake a sleeping baby, velcro can.)
But, I have many more complaints about the SS1. I shouldn't call them complaints, I should say that Chicco designed theirs better. I prefer Chiccos chest clip, harness, padding, covers, etc. over Graco.

I am nervous about how quickly the baby will grow out of it. I want it to last through the winter to hopefully March. So 9 months old. Not a big deal for most, but when I tried my DD in the seats when she was 12 months old, she was already within half an inch even with the top. But she seemed to fit the same in both the SS1 and KF. I even pulled back the cover to be sure I was measuring right. I dunno.

I think I have to pay the extra $$ for the seat that I fell in love with. I still have a few months to hold out for a deal. I will give myself a deadline - if there is no sale by St. Patricks Day, then I will buy one that day.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC