Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Technician

TF tips backward when I tighten harness

I got to test my TF with my 12 mo old 17 lb nephew yesterday!
    When we tightened the harness straps, it pulled the front of the car seat up and ended up with him pretty much lying nearly flat! That is so obviously not going to work!
    When I installed it, I checked for movement at the beltpath and had less than 1/2".
    I am installing it in the center 2nd row position of a 2003 Honda Pilot, so I can only use the seatbelt.
    I do get a better installation with the LATCH in the outboard passenger seat, but if I move the TF there for baby, DS will have to be turned FF (he's ~30 lbs, +/-2). I can't reach over a center rf MA to the TF and baby shouldn't go straight into the MA. I can't fit the MA rf behind the driver's seat and I can't reach a rf TF behind the driver's seat.
    Jessi, CPST: 2003 Honda Pilot, 2010 Toyota Corolla
    T 12/12/06 49" 55 lbs D 1/8/09 44" 50 lbs
    In Use:2 PKWY SGLs, FR80, GN, HB TB Teaching seats: Titan 65, Lite Rider Retired: Wizard, 2 33 lb MA's, 2 50 lb CAs, 3 XTSLs, Regent
    PetBuckle Review Here

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: TF tips backward when I tighten harness

Are you sure that there was less than one inch of movement in any direction at the belt path?

Do you have a 33 pound MA or a 35 pound one? If T is 30+-2 pounds naked, then you add diaper and clothes and shoes, he's probably over 33 pounds at least on his heavier days. It might be time to turn him anyway.

Why do you need to be able to reach baby while you're driving?
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Advocate

That's generally a sign of a not-quite-tight-enough install. Did you get less than an inch of movement side to side AND back and forth?

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    That's generally a sign of a not-quite-tight-enough install. Did you get less than an inch of movement side to side AND back and forth?
    Ditto. Is the seatbelt locked? Are you using the lockoffs?
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by pixels99 View Post
    Are you sure that there was less than one inch of movement in any direction at the belt path?

Do you have a 33 pound MA or a 35 pound one? If T is 30+-2 pounds naked, then you add diaper and clothes and shoes, he's probably over 33 pounds at least on his heavier days. It might be time to turn him anyway.

Why do you need to be able to reach baby while you're driving?
    I'm reasonably sure there wasn't movement in any direction, but it's possible that the MA is providing false stabilization. I had reclined the seatback to install it then moved the seatback back fully upright to tighten it a bit.
    I (feel the) need to be able to reach the baby from the driver's seat to be able to soothe at stoplights if I need to. T was a very fussy guy in the car and I often had to stick the bunky back in his mouth at stoplights.
    My MA is a 33 lb one. T is 30 +-2 fully clothed, shoe'd and fed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    I thought I did, but it would appear that I need to go back out and try again again.
    Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    Ditto. Is the seatbelt locked? Are you using the lockoffs?
    Yes to both. Don't you *have* to use the lockoffs on TF? I could probably get it tighter if I didn't have to use their lockoffs.
    In Use:2 PKWY SGLs, FR80, GN, HB TB Teaching seats: Titan 65, Lite Rider Retired: Wizard, 2 33 lb MA's, 2 50 lb CAs, 3 XTSLs, Regent
    PetBuckle Review Here

Quote Originally Posted by rodentranger View Post
    Yes to both. Don't you *have* to use the lockoffs on TF? I could probably get it tighter if I didn't have to use their lockoffs.
    Yes, just troubleshooting
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

The TF may be incompatible with your vehicle.

Check your install again to make sure it was indeed tight enough, if it's still pulling out then I would say it's incompatible.

... and yes, I've had a perfectly installed True Fit pull out like this in a vehicle before, so I know it's possible.

If it is incompatible, the Radian installs well in the Pilot and works great for a newborn baby.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Why can't you put your MA behind the driver seat? I have a britax wizard and it is rock solid rf using LATCH in a 06 pilot. My husband who is 5ft 11in can put the seat where he wants it. Is it because you are tall? or need to get to the third row?

olivia 4.26.04 45in 40lb regent/gn
    makayla 9.16.06 30in 27lb rf wizard

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by 2 blueberry eye girls View Post
    Why can't you put your MA behind the driver seat? I have a britax wizard and it is rock solid rf using LATCH in a 06 pilot. My husband who is 5ft 11in can put the seat where he wants it. Is it because you are tall? or need to get to the third row?

olivia 4.26.04 45in 40lb regent/gn
    makayla 9.16.06 30in 27lb rf wizard
    It made the driver's seat too upright for DH or I to be comfortable (especially me right now with my big ol' preggo belly)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTech View Post
    The TF may be incompatible with your vehicle.

Check your install again to make sure it was indeed tight enough, if it's still pulling out then I would say it's incompatible.

... and yes, I've had a perfectly installed True Fit pull out like this in a vehicle before, so I know it's possible.

If it is incompatible, the Radian installs well in the Pilot and works great for a newborn baby.
    I went out and uninstalled the MA to reinstall the TF. My neighbor probably thinks I'm nuts. Without the MA in the way, I was able to get the TF in MUCH tighter. Then I reinstalled the MA.
    I actually have a RN and hate it. With a passion. DS screams every time I put him in it too. But not the MA. I can't get a good installation with it ff in my Pilot either. I don't know of he'd be more tolerant of it ff. I just fought with it for an hour to get it installed ff in DH's car. I told him that if he takes it out, I'm going to have to hurt him. His car has forward of the bight belts, loooong female stalks, and a ridiculously narrow center seat.
    PetBuckle Review Here