trouble getting ex husband to safely buckle

U

Unregistered

Hello, I need help convincing my ex husband that a backless booster seat is not a safe option at all for our 4yrs old who is just under 40 pounds. I keep sending her 5pt harness seat when he picks up, but he keeps trying his way. I believe it to be unfair for him to put our toddler at injury risk, just because he knows it bothers me. THis is her life here! and he isn't the safest of drivers. He drives a Grand Am, and sometimes a pickup truck ( with a backseat) but tries to put her in the front.

Thanks for any help and advise I can get here!I just want our baby safe.

ADS

skaterbabs

If she's under 40 lbs it is illegal for her to use a backless booster in any state that requires "proper use" because there are no backless boosters rated below that weight.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
How about a good high back booster with side impact protection features? If your 4 year old is mature enough to sit properly for a trip, that might be a good compromise.

U

Unregistered

THanks for all the advise.

I have a Compass B500 booster for her, and she is good about sitting still in it,it says from 30 pounds. I liked how safe it rated in research. I checked the shoulder and lap belt all seem to be falling in the right places. But my Ex isn't even willing to get her one of those for his car.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Also, although it is frustrating & difficult to accept, a properly boostered kiddo who fits the manufacturer's seat requirements is safer than an incorrectly harnessed child :eek: So, instead of worrying about whether or not dad installs the carseat you give him correctly & is tightening the straps correctly, too, I'd actually support his decision to use the booster correctly!

I would urge you to be as kind as possible in saying that you'd like to replace the booster with a highback version that has head support (Parkway is very easy & comfy & safe or dad might actually like the Recaro Young line of "racing" seats for kids?) ... also schedule an appointment with a CPST together with the idea being that car crashes are the leading cause of death & you're still parents together even if you don't live together :cool:

I would request to trade the highback so that you could use the backless booster at home to encourage kiddo to use it correctly -- by having him sit in it for progressively longer periods of time on the living room floor while he eats, watches shows/movies, plays board or card games with you, etc. allthewhile getting lots of positive attention for sitting still in it correctly :)

GOOD LUCK

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC