Question Nautalis top slots VS Radian.

dd9736

yikes, I was putting DS1 (Seth) in his seat over the weekend, and noticed he's almost at the 2nd to top slots in his Radian (He's 2) I didn't think this would be possible, I bought it, because it had the highest top slots, and he outgrew the infant carrier by height around 7 months (his brother outgrew the same carrier at 6 months) He's 24lbs right now, and I guess all body, as he's not really much taller than the other 2 year olds in our church. I realise their growth starts to slow down soon, but he just jumped about an inch, since Halloween, (I checked before I left to get my nephew in his seat who's 5 (a little on the short side, 2" taller overall than Seth), if seth had been close then, I would have moved it up for my nephew, they have identical torso heights, from double checking when we had him over christmas)

While I'm not looking to buy right away, we have a couple inches left to the top slot, afterall, I am lookng for information on the Nautilis, though it'll be a hard sell to get DH to go for another $200 seat.

What I need to know is how much higher the top slots on the nautilis are than on the Radian

ADS

dragonfly8

I am pretty sure, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, that the top slot height on the GN are 18.5" whereas the top slot height on the RN are 18".
Almost positive, but not completely

I have ordered my GN and I can pick it up on Jan 20th. My almost 3 year old will have that seat and pass our RN down to his little brother, who is now 9 months old.

I am so excited about the GN. Is that pathetic? I can't wait to get it!! Even my 2 year old keeps looking at the picture and talking about his new seat with the cup holder!!!

April

None of the Radians I've owned have measured 18'' at the top slot, IRL. More like 17.25 IIRC. For what its worth, my 28 month old is even with the second to top slots on our Radian and will be moving up to the top slots this weekend. So apparently not so rare afterall. Then again, my 3.5 year old has the same torso height as my 28 month old, and my almost 6 year old is now just above the top slots on the Radian. Depends on the install though. There is no way Griffin's torso is over 17.25 inches, and he does not fit in the Radian. But just fits in the True Fit harness still.

canmom

I measured the GN THS last night and it only seems about 17.25 to me.... I know CDNTech has said that installed it can be different, and I have not installed it yet.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Double check that the cover hasn't shifted on you... sometimes those slots are higher than the cover is showing. :)

DS1's torso hardly grew between 4.75 and 6.75 years old... less than an inch. His legs sprouted several inches though... about 4 of them.

4.75 years old...
413192539_1a1453e747.jpg

6.75 years old...
2619760050_f0db3bb7c7.jpg

One of these days, I'm going to get a GN installed in my van and update my comparison thread... maybe Canmom and I need to get together. ;)

canmom

... maybe Canmom and I need to get together. ;)

Come on over anytime... you know where I live ;).

I will re-measure the GN... I think I measured the holes in the cover and not the actual slots... rookie mistake, LOL, good thing I am still a rookie!

Malia

My daughter is 29 months and needs to be moved to the top slots in the Radian now:eek: I sure hope she starts growing leg-only for awhile so this seat can last us, lol.

dd9736

My daughter is 29 months and needs to be moved to the top slots in the Radian now:eek: I sure hope she starts growing leg-only for awhile so this seat can last us, lol.

yeah, leg only growth would be good, my cover hasn't shifted, though I feel for the shell over his shoulder anyway. He's not even 25months yet. Good thing he'll gain a little more room once he's out of diapers too.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I updated the Comparison Thread... there was less than 1/2 an inch difference between the GN and Radian (with the GN being taller) when installed in the same vehicle position as upright as possible.

BudgieStew

This will not answer your question but maybe you don't have anything to worry about as his torso growth might slow down.
We bought our first Radian for our DS shortly after he turned three and he was using the second to top slot. He is going to be five in March and it still using the same slot. All growth seems to take place in his legs and arms.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC