Frustrated w/ GN crotch strap

britfish

DD is 4y4m and only 30lbs and 40 inches and that crazy crotch strap on the GN is almost under her. I put it in the outer position and it is still too far back. Is there any word this may be re-designed in the future? I really like this seat, I can't believe she won't be in it much longer as a harness :( I guess I should have boughtt he Frontier.

ADS

mish

Call Graco. Or e-mail them. They won't know it is a problem if people don't tell them. I know people probably have, but the more they hear it, the more they will realize it is a problem.

That being said, how far is the strap under her? My son is 5 yrs old and right around 40 pounds, and it isn't really under him. If it is, it is slight and I'm perfectly comfortable with that. I would rather see a crotch strap under a kid than too far out in front of them:twocents:. Also, have you tried removing the pad from around it? That seems to take up quite a bit of space. Removing that might buy you some time.

britfish

it is just under her, I am ok with it, DH just complains because he says its always stuck so far under her. (its our back up seat in his truck). I am just a little disappointed I thought I would be able to see plenty of growing room in this seat.

mish

I get where you are coming from. It seems like it falls backwards and it is hard to get out from under them if they sit on it. My frontier does the same thing though.

Are you saying it's under her when buckled or just when she gets in? Mine is always under DS when he climbs out & I have to dig it out, but it isn't under him at all when I buckle it & he's over 40lbs & a tad over 40" (and only 2, lo, ok, soon to be 3).

britfish

it is almost under her when buckled in, its very close to being under her. I tried to get her to scooch back more but it didn't seem to make a difference. She is such a peanut, I find it hard to believe she would be close to the max on this seat. Do you think it could be my install or something? I'll have to check it out better tomorrow after work.

njkj

We had this problem also, except the strap was completly under J and it hurt him. On his Frontier he is on the middle postion.

MustangMama

This is so weird. I have a GN and DD is 5 and almost 40# and we don't have this problem at all!! :confused::whistle::shrug-shoulders::question::scratcheshead:

Kat_Momof3

that is so weird... Ruthie has plenty of room... the outer slot isn't yet under her bum at all.

in fact, during the summer, I had to move it back because of the clothing making the inner one then not be under her.

then, this fall, I had to move it back.

she's 44" and 46lbs.

britfish

thats so weird that kids of similiar sizes fit so differently, maybe its because I don't use the recline? maybe that would help sit her back further. I don't know, I can't figure out how it varies so much.

Citrine

My 4yr 7mo old does not have this issue. she is 40lbs and 45in tall. There is another child that will use it as well and I have no problem with him either. He is 4yr 7mo 39lb 43in. I install my seat in the up right position.

Olivia 4.26.04 40lb 45in Regent/Gn
Makayla 9.16.06 26lb 3oin RF Wizard

Mama!

With my kids, DD is a thin wafer like child but 2 yrs older than her ds, and she always has plenty of crotch strap room.

DS has a massive pelvis and hips and is always on top of the buckle. I think it has to do with the way kids are built.

emandbri

this is all very odd. I think it would be helpful if everyone measured to furthest crotch position to see if they are the same on every seat.

I've only tried the kids in them in stores but I don't recall it being a problem.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I get 5.5" for the closer one and 7" for the outer one. Piper is on the outer, though she's 6y4m 38 pounds and a size 4T waist. It's nowhere near under her, though the closer one was under her enough that according to the manual it needed to be moved. Parentally it wouldn't bother me to use the seat with the strap slightly under her. I don't know if I'd say that if she was a boy, though. Our seat is not in the recline mode, but my backseat is so sloped that the seat itself is very reclined.

Wendy

fyrfightermomma

Ours is reclined and the outer strap is about 1/4" in front of her. Which I'm kind of bummed about

She is barely big enough to even use this seat and if it's true you can't use it sitting on the crotch strap-I'll get a years use out of it

She is 3 1/2 but only 24 lbs and 38 inches.

I know people have huge kids that fit in this, and I'm confused as to why mine doesn't!

With a pull up on she is easily over it.

I'm confused :confused:

Hollyob

We had this problem with DS when we first got the GN (he was 4 and about 39 lbs then), and he said it hurt. However, we reclined it a bit and it helped tremendously. Once in a while when I tighten it he says it hurts, so I let it back out, put my hand in between the strap and his crotch, and re-tighten. Then I take my hand out and give another little pull so it's tight enough. That seems to help too.

britfish

it seems so odd that there are such varying fits with this seat, I know all kids are shaped different but I really wish they'd put another adjustment so it would work longer for us!

christineka

I'll have to measure mine today. My ds is 5.5 years old, weighs somewhere around 42 pounds and the crotch strap is not under him at all. The seat is not reclined either. (The bench doesn't recline.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC