Question Picking a convertible seat...will my head explode?

Lontra

I need to buy two car seats for 2 cars. I drive a Ford Escape and my husband drives a VW Passat Wagon. My daughter is one and weighs 22 lbs and is 29" tall.

I looked over the NHTSA ratings and am not sure what to do. Debating between the Recaro, Radian, Britax and the Evenflo Triumph Advance seats but I’m open to other options. I want to keep her rear-facing as long as possible so the True-Fit is out. Since the Britax Roundabout has a total limit of 40 lbs. it doesn’t seem like a wise investment and so I ruled out other seats with a 40 lb max. We might have another baby soon so I would need something that I could use with the Graco Snugride next to it. I don’t care what the seats look like, I’m just concerned about safety. Cost is definitely an issue especially since we have to buy two.

I feel like every time I come close to making a decision, I read something that makes me reconsider :confused:

Help, please! Thanks!

ADS

featherhead

Why is the True Fit out? It rear-faces to 35 lbs, just like the rest. It has the tallest headrest, so pretty much any kid can make it to 35 lbs before exceeding the height limit for rear-facing.

I have a Radian and I really like it. It is easy to get my dd in when rear-facing because it doesn't have high sides on it. It can be difficult to install in some vehicles, but so far I have not had any problems with it.

The others are all great seats as well. You may have to go window shopping to try them out, and see if there are any things that irk you about certain seats that you just couldn't live with.

skylinphoto

I have a Passat sedan and a Recaro Signo and I love love love it. It fits just fine in my small car.
But, it is TIGHT putting my 2.5 year old in that seat RFing. There's like no legroom. I mean, it's a pain..but, it doesn't change anything..once he's in the seat than he's safe and that's all that matters.
If you want something easy to use with an older child (over 18 months) while RFing..this ain't your seat! lol. But, saying that..I am buying another Signo for my 8.5 month old daughter...so, I obviously can't say much bad about it.

I'd look at the Britax Marathon or the TrueFit. Or of course, the Recaro Signo.
I like the Evenflo Triumph advance..but, for just a bit more money you can get the Truefit which has a higher weight limit and taller harness slots.

hboo22

Don't rule out the True Fit, my little girl that is almost 3 (will be in Jan) can ride RFing in hers!! It is a great seat!! But if you want to put it right next to another seat, a thinner seat might be better.

Rosey

You really should look at the truefit (it does rear face. you may be thinking of the Nautilus), Marasthon, and Evenflo Triumph Advance. The EFTA is the cheapest. If you look in shopping and deals forum someone posted a good deal on a Truefit. You may need to try some out in your car before you buy.

Another option is to buy a cheaper 40# seat as the spare like the Safety First Avenue/Uptown and spend more on the seat in the primary. Then you can revisit the car seat turnover when baby #2 is older and you can get the eldest a forward facing only.

cpsaddict

I can tell you that the Radian and the Britax seats fit awesome in an Escape. Personally, I love, love, love my Marathon. The Radian I had was nice, too. I don't care for the True Fit, not sure why, just not feeling the love. The Recaro Signo looks great, too.

On paper, I love the True Fit. Lots of lovely features listed. The extra features is a big reason why I liked my Blvd over my Como.

However, I've just swung right back into the Como camp. Finally got fed up with the twisty straps on my Blvd. And straps that don't twist was supposed to be a feature of the Britax.

I've never been all that impressed with the True Fit in person. It was the feature list that made me like it. Now that I've got experience seeing how a "feature" may not be as nice in person as it is on paper, my enthusiasm for the True Fit is tempered. Yeah, the Recaro has less leg room, but until my kid complains, it doesn't really matter to me. If you just go by what you think is uncomfortable, you fall into the same trap argument that parents use to justify why they don't RF as long as possible. Since my kid isn't an infant anymore, it's just as hard to get him out of the Britax as it is with the Recaro.

theshapeshifter

I would definitely keep the True Fit in your list if it's ERF you're interested in. You may be confusing the weight limit for using it without the headrest with the overall RF weight limit? Some of their wording is a little misleading if you're skimming quickly over it, but the True Fit DOES RF up to 35 pounds - it's just that over 22 pounds, it requires the headrest to be in place.

Lontra

Thank you all so much for your replies. I didn't realize that the True Fit could go up to 35lbs rear-facing b/c the NHTSA web site only had reviewed it up to 25lbs and some of the store web site descriptions of it don't tell you that it can be rear-facing as long as it has the head rest.

So I decided to get a True Fit for Passat and we'll try it in my car and if it works well, we'll get another.

Thanks again for all the help :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thank you all so much for your replies. I didn't realize that the True Fit could go up to 35lbs rear-facing b/c the NHTSA web site only had reviewed it up to 25lbs and some of the store web site descriptions of it don't tell you that it can be rear-facing as long as it has the head rest.

So I decided to get a True Fit for Passat and we'll try it in my car and if it works well, we'll get another.

Thanks again for all the help :)

Yes, you can definitely use it with the headrest! It has a very tall shell and will definitely last you a very long time :thumbsup:

Well I was debating betweeen the TF and the MA. I went with the MA instead and thats just because I think the covers on the MA look better and more to choose from.

But thats just me!

amyd

Well I was debating betweeen the TF and the MA. I went with the MA instead and thats just because I think the covers on the MA look better and more to choose from.

But thats just me!

That was a big part of why I bought a MA instead of a TF. Now I have to find a way to convince DH to let me buy a TF too since it RF's 5 lbs longer here in Canada:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC