Split: Sweden Harness vs. Booster Issues

Adventuredad

I think it's great you're thinking so much about safety but still have a dialog with your daughter about it.:thumbsup: Great advice from Jools, BW1426, and Snowbird25ca IMHO.

A hbb back booster is safer than a lbb just as Jools say but the difference isn't huge. Better SIP and usually the seat belt is threaded a little better but the difference is not huge. Important thing with lbb, and a hbb as well, is to thread to belt under the "armrests" to avoid submarining (sliding under belt in a crash). I find a huge percentage of parents who are unaware of this.

My goal is to use a HBB as long as possible, my oldest is almost 5 so I've not been in your situation yet. My son loves his HBB but who knows how he will feel at 9 years. I think safety is the most important but I also listen to my kids input. Having a child upset about car seat safety, or using a seat belt, is probably not a good idea for the future IMHO. I fmy son was tall enough at your daughters age I would let him ride without booster at school. Remember, car seat safety is mostly about statistics. And as someone mentioned, the risks are extremely low something happens on school field trips. Jools points out perfectly what's the most important thing:

is to absolutely stress that they MUST get a lap/shoulderbelt and use it properly (when in someone else's car). THAT is the most important thing you can do for a kid who's just about to be out of seats altogether, IMO...most of their friends don't buckle up properly, all the way through the teenage years, and this is the tool/teaching I can give them to keep them as safe as possible in years to come.

Despite what everyone believes, 5 point harness isn't any safer than a HBB for a child of the appropriate age. Problem is, many parents stick their 2 or 3 year old on booster which is clearly unsafe. Harnessing a 2 year old is MUCH safer than a booster, doing so with a 5 year old (or older) is not. Here we do infant seat first 6 months, rear facing until age 4-5, then HBB (or LBB). It's not any safer to sit harnessed at that age, leaading experts in the field here say it's actually less safe so we don't harness our kids at all. EVen when there is an option to do so (Multi Tech, Two-Way, and Zento for example) It's been done for the past 30 years and the data says it's extremely safe.

If you want to get really bored, you can take a look at a long answer I provided about this issue here

Sweden (low rate child death) believes EH might be dangerous. they bpb at 4-5 and do just fine.

While experts recommend hbb ahead of harnessing here they are also quick to point out both are certified and safe. They just believe boosters are slightly safer, not only for fatalities but also injuries (which many forget about). No one is trashing harnessing.

As I said in my other answer, we should not focus on harnessing vs. boosters. The difference is small, if any, and we should instead focus on rear facing younger kids. Rear facing a 12 month old is 500% safer, difference in booster vs. harness is likely very small.

There are no tests of harness vs. booster and there won't be any either. It's far too subjective and expensive. It's not meaningful. What the leading experts here say is that a harness hold back the body of a child and a lot of the force is absorbed by neck/back area in a child where muscles are not yet developed. Most parents watch a youtube video and think it's great that the child doesn't move much in a harness. This might be an advantage at times but is also the greatest disadvantage.

Comparing a race car driver and their harnesses is not applicable. Most drivers are 20+ years old with bones and muscles fully developed. They also often use additional safety equipment to protect their necks. Speeds are also completely different.

In a harness, the body is stopped very fast and violently while a child in a booster moves more but more of the body absorb the impact forces. There is also a technical issue which is negative for harnessing. (complicated but bear with me) Say a child is stopped in 60 ms (milliseconds) in a crash. In a harness, because of how seat is constructed, first half or so of that time seat is moving forward and child is not being restrained. Then, during the last 30 ms, all impact forces are absorbed by child's body. But absorbing same force during half of the time makes a huge difference.

I have an American friend who has worked for Britax, Graco and others and actually been heavily involved in developing and constructing car seats half his life. I wish you could hear him explain this, it makes far more sense.

There are also "fluff" factors regarding boosters that help with safety. Things such as lower price, easier install, easier to move to another car, etc. Keeping things simple is usually a good idea regarding car seat safety.

Harness or booster makes little difference regardless what people believe. Which is why it's sad to hear a parent forward face their child at 12 months thinking it's very safe and then spend two months deciding on the best 5 point harness seat since it's "so much safer".

Harnessing and boosters are both safe. Who to believe comes down to trust. I trust what the leading experts here are saying since they have been doing this far longer than anyone else and also have the best safety record of any country regardless of age. Car seat safety has been a real priority here since 1965(!) when myself and other kids started riding rear facing in cars. It would also seem kind of odd that the people who have been obsessed with car seat safety for the past 45 years would choose to use an inferior method of protecting their own children. I don't find the same focus and dedication in other countries, and perhaps most importantly, certainly no good track records.

Whatever people choose to believe regarding harnessing and boosters is fine. Using either one will keep your child safe in the car and hopefully avoid a disaster. As Jools said, just using a seat or seat belt is the most important thing:twocents:

ADS

joyride

Re: Distraught 8 yr old in Regent

A hbb back booster is safer than a lbb just as Jools say but the difference isn't huge. Better SIP and usually the seat belt is threaded a little better but the difference is not huge.

Despite what everyone believes, 5 point harness isn't any safer than a HBB for a child of the appropriate age.
Maybe we should not generalize to much here!
A HBB is as safe as an 5-point, if the child ALWAYS (sleeping, look-out, swirling :D) sits correct like in the 5-Step Test.
LBB are nearly as safe as HBB if she is in the center or the car is equiped with side-airbags. Otherwise the force in a side crash (very common) is much higher in an LBB (or cheap HBB without SIP). Only imagine the head crashing against the window rather than the SIP of the headrest.

Joy

PS: the Boosters are better than Harness passage contain many half-truths ;)

Adventuredad

As someone mentioned, forces in a side impact crash are much higher. But side impact crashes are also a lower percentage. Also, even if your child is sitting in a nice hbb at the point of impact (from the side) the head is often a little forward and the SIP is therefore of little help. Don't get me wrong, it's a great feature although perhaps not as effective as many believe. It's far more important that the seat belt is in the right positing across the chest.

Kids don't sit perfectly in boosters all the time but they are still very effective. Leading researchers here obviously know this but still recommend boosters ahead of harness.

PS: the Boosters are better than Harness passage contain many half-truths

Like I said, it's a difficult comparison with no head to head tests. It's up to each person what to believe. No one is saying harnessing is bad or not safe. It's a great way to protect a child.

Last edited:

joyride

Adventuredad

You are of course correct, it should have rear "lower percentage" which I have now edited. Point is SIP in a seat is great but during the actual crash head is often slightly in front of the actual protection making it less effective.

I use a hbb because partly because I love the SIP and know how deadly sip-crashes are.

Quote:
Leading researchers here obviously know this but still recommend boosters ahead of harness.

As I've mentioned, the whole debate about booster and harness is subjective. The leading researchers, who have been doing this the past 45 years, certainly know that kids aren't sitting perfectly at every moment in a booster. Still, their recommendation is boosters ahead of harnessing older kids (say 4 and up).

The recommendations are different in US I know, but that doesn't make it any more correct. There is also plenty of advice given by doctors, peds, news, etc. which is terrible. And there is no proof harnessing is any better, booster vs. harness seats aren't tested like that.

I think it's great to have a debate with knowledgeable people and hear different opinions regarding this. People can then believe what they want.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member

There also isn't any proof (US or Swedish) that boosters are safer than harnesses None of us CPSTs have found otherwise & we've also asked you repeatedly to share the sources if you've found it....

Last edited:

Adventuredad

There also isn't any proof (US or Swedish) that boosters are safer than harnesses None of us CPSTs have found otherwise & we've also asked you repeatedly to share the sources if you've found it....

I agree. Which why I constantly mention this is a subjective debate. There are no tests of boosters v.s harness and it's unlikely to be any that are of any importance. I could share with you recommendations from all organizations but there are no head to head tests.

But you must agree it would be very strange for the ultra safety conscious Swedes to keep their kids rear facing until 4 years of age and then suddenly decide to use something vastly inferior (according to many) despite having more experience in this field than anyone else.

It's up to each person to believe what they want. Whatever people believe the difference is likely small either way, it's far better to focus on all the people who love forward facing at 12 months:twocents:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member

But you must agree it would be very strange for the ultra safety conscious Swedes to keep their kids rear facing until 4 years of age and then suddenly decide to use something vastly inferior (according to many) despite having more experience in this field than anyone else.

No. I don't consider the Swedes superior, either. On RF issues, yes, but not everything. They don't have laws requiring parents to keep their kids RF, it just is what it is culturally. The same is probably true for why 4 year olds there use boosters correctly & far too many of ours don't. Cultural differences (not research superiority, etc.) is probably why more parents install their RF seats correctly there than here as well. It just is what it is. Society, not research.

bethng

Despite what everyone believes, 5 point harness isn't any safer than a HBB for a child of the appropriate age. .

It's not any safer to sit harnessed at that age, leaading experts in the field here say it's actually less safe so we don't harness our kids at all..

If you want to get really bored, you can take a look at a long answer I

:

So is this true for a 7.5 year old (or even 8+ year old) who is just over 40lbs? She would be an "appropriate age" for a booster but at that weight is she really "just as safe" in a booster?

Adventuredad

Yes it is, and it's also true for younger children although I (and leading experts/researchers) would not recommend anyone under 4 to sit in a booster. There are exceptions as well such as special needs kids.

As I explained, there are no tests head to head so opinions are subjective. When someone is telling you 5 point harness is safer you are trusting US authorities since there are no tests that say 5 point harness is any better for 4+ years.

Let me turn it around slightly. Since there are no proof or harness or booster being better (head to head etc.), why should we believe the US recommendations? Is the country known for great car seat safety? Known for great safety recommendations? Known for few child fatalities in traffic? A very trusted source when it comes to car seat advice? (Not counting all you gurus on this site!)

Why should anyone believe what leading experts here are saying and have been saying for a very long time? Sweden is and has been a leader in car seat research and development for the past 40+ years. It's a real priority here to keep our kids safe. We started rear facing in 1965, that should be an indication of how serious this is over here.

The simple approach to car seat safety has proven to be the most effective in the world for the past 30+ years. There are countless stats to show policies have been effective year after year. Not only for rear facing but also for older kids. In 2007, 2 kids died nationally between ages 0-6. Same number for kids aged 7-14 was 8 during the whole year. That includes not only kids in cars, it includes every single child killed in a traffic accident (bicycle, moped, walking etc.).

It goes against all logical thinking that boosters would be recommended by the most car seat safety conscious nation in the world unless they were the best alternative. All our kids sit in booster, no harnessing. Despite this, accident stats are extremely good. Not only fatalities but also injuries which is often forgotten.

There is nothing wrong with harnessing an older child, it's also safe. But it's not any safer than a high back booster.

If you think the Swedish come across as clueless, not serious, careless, lacking data, or lacking experience in the car seat area then you should perhaps not believe boosters are as good as harnessing.

Last edited:

joyride

Why should anyone believe what leading experts here are saying and have been saying for a very long time? Sweden is and has been a leader in car seat research and development for the past 40+ years. It's a real priority here to keep our kids safe.

Hmmm, they allow to ride with only a seat-belt at 8 years. Pioneering?

leaading experts in the field here say it's actually less safe so we don't harness our kids at all.

Again: please provide us with references, where crash-tests or physician analysis confirmed this statements. You always talk from "experts", but I didn´t find one real reference for that in all your posts. If there are no proofs, please omit this statement!

Joy

Adventuredad

Please re-read my post. I've mentioned many times it's a subjective view if booster or harnessing for older kids is better. There are no head to head tests. Both booster and harnessing are safe and certified, seeing exactly what's best means to expensive and subjective tests. This last statement comes directly from the crash test people.

You might not be familiar how the crash test facilities work. They are often privately operated and manufacturers hire them for their test. That means that my friend is under heavy NDA and can't say anything about brands, tests, etc. He can come with general off the record advice and statements.

Kids here can ride without booster if they are above 135 cm. tall. Although many use boosters far longer than that. The law is lax here, doesn't mean car seat safety has to be bad. For example, we don't have rules about rear facing. We still rar face until age 4-5 so I think that's working pretty well. Isn't it weird that the Swedes seem to be doing so many things incorrectly and still manage to have so few fatalities and injuries among kids.

If you (Joyride) want to come with smart*** comments you can do so in a PM directly to me. Have a nice weekend!

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member

I hope you don't think I'm picking on you :) I actually look forward to your posts on this because I think you do bring in some excellent points for discussion....
As I explained, there are no tests head to head so opinions are subjective.
Yes, very much so . . .
When someone is telling you 5 point harness is safer you are trusting US authorities
Not the authorities, no -- just he manufacturers :twocents: & obviously not all of the manufacturers because non special needs HWH originally developed from a need to safely restrain obese children. It's us CPSTs who have been urging manufacturers to include booster age minimums (some allow 30# 12 month olds in boosters!)

Authorities here don't care whether kids are in harness or booster after 3-4 yrs old & my state doesn't allow any child under 4 in the Ride Safer Travel Vest even though it fits smaller kids (& they're supposedly coming out with a size XS, too). Without comprehensive enough testing the authorities don't weigh in beyond that. They only testing they go by is that boosters prevent Seatbelt Syndrom (as do harnesses) so authorities are pushing booster use . . . with the undesired result being that toddlers are in boosters :doh:

Let me turn it around slightly. Since there are no proof or harness or booster being better (head to head etc.), why should we believe the US recommendations? Is the country known for great car seat safety? Known for great safety recommendations? Known for few child fatalities in traffic? A very trusted source when it comes to car seat advice? (Not counting all you gurus on this site!)
Our legislators do not reflect the laws of physics & our caregivers + drivers are absolutely far too often completely imbicilic, but our university researchers are on the ball :thumbsup:

Sweden is and has been a leader in car seat research and development for the past 40+ years. It's a real priority here to keep our kids safe. We started rear facing in 1965, that should be an indication of how serious this is over here.
We do love the Swedes :love: But, a lot of what we're seeing reflects these cultural/historical issues: the Swedes pioneered with booster use, but they haven't had reason to do a HWH vs. booster comparison because the kids at highest risk of incorrect booster use are still RF & the U.S. has higher rates of special needs which necessitate continued harnessing.... This earlier research is why families over there are more likely to use any seat correctly compared to here & this is also why we see manufacturers themselves playing to the RF market more there & the HWH market here.

There is nothing wrong with harnessing an older child, it's also safe. But it's not any safer than a high back booster.
:yeahthat::thanx!:

Again, I do not believe the issue has to do with research because no one has done the research. Swedens needs have been different than the U.S. needs but our experts equally deserve deference to their advice. It's the American people who have to start taking more responsibility for following the directions. Toddlers in boosters is never a good idea. A boostered preschooler without special needs in a newer vehicle could be very safe (although far too many parents here have *really* old vehicles in which boosters are not intended for safe use) & then again many preschoolers her just aren't ready for correct booster use for a number of individual/personal reasons. I prefer preschoolers in harnesses, but I have no preference for healthy/capable 5+ year olds unless there is less than 32" between the front & rear vehicle seatback cushions.

how the crash test facilities work. They are often privately operated and manufacturers hire them for their test.
Yep, I wish the guy from last year's NHTSA conference had had a powerpoint for us observers to take home for future reference -- he did say that they tested seats purposely incorrectly in a number of ways & shared some of that info, but didn't share nearly enough details (sigh)

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

With this logic, we might as well believe the Freakonomics crew. We should ignore the laws of physics that indicate that better coupling to the vehicle (through more points of restraint and less potential for being out of position) are good things when it comes to crash protection. Instead, let's believe their statistics that show a 2 or 3 year old is just as safe in a seatbelt with a DVD player as they are in a booster or harness.

At least they have statistics and published studies. Right?

Adventuredad

With this logic, we might as well believe the Freakonomics crew. We should ignore the laws of physics that indicate that better coupling to the vehicle (through more points of restraint and less potential for being out of position) are good things when it comes to crash protection. Instead, let's believe their statistics that show a 2 or 3 year old is just as safe in a seatbelt with a DVD player as they are in a booster or harness.

At least they have statistics and published studies. Right?

Not a correct or applicable comparison. It's not as easy as just looking t simply physics. We're talking about kids, not adults. There is a huge difference. Anyway, it's a subjective call so people can believe whatever they want to. I dislike the Freakonomics study as much as you do so please don't get these two things mixed up. They've got nothing to do with each other.

Adventuredad

I hope you don't think I'm picking on you :) I actually look forward to your posts on this because I think you do bring in some excellent points for discussion....Yes, very much so . . . Not the authorities, no -- just he manufacturers :twocents: & obviously not all of the manufacturers because non special needs HWH originally developed from a need to safely restrain obese children. It's us CPSTs who have been urging manufacturers to include booster age minimums (some allow 30# 12 month olds in boosters!)

Authorities here don't care whether kids are in harness or booster after 3-4 yrs old & my state doesn't allow any child under 4 in the Ride Safer Travel Vest even though it fits smaller kids (& they're supposedly coming out with a size XS, too). Without comprehensive enough testing the authorities don't weigh in beyond that. They only testing they go by is that boosters prevent Seatbelt Syndrom (as do harnesses) so authorities are pushing booster use . . . with the undesired result being that toddlers are in boosters :doh:

Our legislators do not reflect the laws of physics & our caregivers + drivers are absolutely far too often completely imbicilic, but our university researchers are on the ball :thumbsup:

We do love the Swedes :love: But, a lot of what we're seeing reflects these cultural/historical issues: the Swedes pioneered with booster use, but they haven't had reason to do a HWH vs. booster comparison because the kids at highest risk of incorrect booster use are still RF & the U.S. has higher rates of special needs which necessitate continued harnessing.... This earlier research is why families over there are more likely to use any seat correctly compared to here & this is also why we see manufacturers themselves playing to the RF market more there & the HWH market here.

:yeahthat::thanx!:

Again, I do not believe the issue has to do with research because no one has done the research. Swedens needs have been different than the U.S. needs but our experts equally deserve deference to their advice. It's the American people who have to start taking more responsibility for following the directions. Toddlers in boosters is never a good idea. A boostered preschooler without special needs in a newer vehicle could be very safe (although far too many parents here have *really* old vehicles in which boosters are not intended for safe use) & then again many preschoolers her just aren't ready for correct booster use for a number of individual/personal reasons. I prefer preschoolers in harnesses, but I have no preference for healthy/capable 5+ year olds unless there is less than 32" between the front & rear vehicle seatback cushions.

Yep, I wish the guy from last year's NHTSA conference had had a powerpoint for us observers to take home for future reference -- he did say that they tested seats purposely incorrectly in a number of ways & shared some of that info, but didn't share nearly enough details (sigh)

I do feel like I'm being picked on (kind of) but I think that's the way it should be. People should be curious, asking questions and be a little skeptical about what other people are saying. I enjoy the debate as long as it's on an adult level.:thumbsup:

Anyway, I agree with pretty much all you have to say.:thumbsup: The problem people seem to be having with the "boosters recommended ahead of harnessing" or " boosters as safe as harnessing" is they believe harnessing is being trashed. Experts here, especially the ones I speak to at crash test institute, always say there is nothing wrong with harnessing. It's safe and certified just as boosters are. They just mention that they recommend not harnessing kids because of bone/neck issues.

I personally feel like experts here are saying boosters are recommended since they are a little safer. Whatever one choose to believe, the difference is probably smallish. I would not recommend anyone to switch from a harnessed seat to a booster for example. Kids are well protected and very safe in harnessed seats.

Authorities

I was looking for a word tht would kind of group the country together. Authorities is not the right word for that I realize.

our university researchers are on the ball

Totally agree

but they haven't had reason to do a HWH vs. booster comparison because the kids at highest risk of incorrect booster use are still RF & the U.S. has higher rates of special needs which necessitate continued harnessing....

That seems to imply we're talking about booster use forn younger kids, say 2 or three. That's completely in appropriate and harnessing at this age is MUCH safer in my opinion. But I've always mentioned the booster recommendation is for 4-ish and up.

The people at crash test facility does all kinds of testing, not only for manufacturers but also to learn more about seats and injuries. They've seen and tested tons of harnessed seats.

Another thing, I'm interested where you are going with this "special needs" thing. Are you saying there are far more special needs kids over there? You mean physical problem or more behavioral (parenting) issues? I'm very curious about learning more about this. Special needs kids should probably not be in a booster(depends on problem) but I still think that's a very small percentage who are special needs. What's your opinion on this?

I think a big problem with this booster/harness debate is that so many parents start using boosters way too early and that's terrible for a child. Nothing is perfect here, believe me, I see people every day who are using seats in a poor way, but most still wait until 4 to use a booster. This makes a big difference. I feel many times like people think I'm talking about 2-3 year olds when I say recommendation is for boosters over here.

Nice chatting with you. Have a nice weekend:thumbsup:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

Another thing, I'm interested where you are going with this "special needs" thing. Are you saying there are far more special needs kids over there? You mean physical problem or more behavioral (parenting) issues? I'm very curious about learning more about this. Special needs kids should probably not be in a booster(depends on problem) but I still think that's a very small percentage who are special needs. What's your opinion on this?

My opinion is that I don't want to get into a nature vs. nurture (or vaccinating, or nutritional, or other) debate, but yes, there does seem to be a lot of American kids with special needs.

I think a big problem with this booster/harness debate is that so many parents start using boosters way too early and that's terrible for a child. Nothing is perfect here, believe me, I see people every day who are using seats in a poor way, but most still wait until 4 to use a booster. This makes a big difference. I feel many times like people think I'm talking about 2-3 year olds when I say recommendation is for boosters over here.

I agree in substance, but I still think many young 4-year-olds are not booster-ready.

joyride

They just mention that they recommend not harnessing kids because of bone/neck issues.
And that´s the thing not going into my brain. I am university graduate Engineer so a little basic knowledge available :D

Because inertia, occupants need to be decelerated during a crash, while the car stops abrupt. At the point of the accident, the occupants have a kinetic energy depending on speed and weight, after it is zero. Where does it go?

1) into the car - via the belt anchors, the energy is transported into the car frame and their absorbed by the deformable zone
2) into the person - the muscles and tissue are elastic, it absorbs energy by converting to heat
3) into the belt - the belt is elastic with a defined coefficient of elasticity, after the crash it is several parts of an inch longer

So to conclude: better bonding to the frame, higher contact surface on the body and longer or more extensible belt should minimize the concentrated single load on parts of the body. While point 1 is the same for hbb and harness, point 2 is self-explanatory. And point 3: you have both - the elasticity of the adult belt (where the seat is attached to) + the one of the integrated harness.

bethng said:
So is this true for a 7.5 year old (or even 8+ year old) who is just over 40lbs? She would be an "appropriate age" for a booster but at that weight is she really "just as safe" in a booster?
Come to this question, I would say NO because point number 3 and 2: the adult belt is "tougher", so has a smaller coefficient of elasticity unlike a car-seat harness, because it is designed for an average adult (or bigger to 200kg) and not a maximum 36kg child. So at the same weight, the adult belt absorbs the same energy but in shorter distance (less extension), so shorter time. This leads to a higher peak load (force) on the body and the car frame, because the same kinetic energy must be absorbed in shorter time (from muscles, bones, ...). The more the weight is away the optimum, the forces are measurable higher.

So, this are only thoughts from the physical point of view that are contrary to a statement like above. I am looking forward to comments or corrections of this assumption.

Greetings
Joy

Maedze

Joy,

that was an interesting read. Can I ask you on your opinion about this?

In an accident, there are two sources of impact...the impact of the body against whatever is holding it in, and the impact of the organs inside the body until they hit the skeletal structure holding them in. The brain in particular will slosh forward until it hits the skull, resulting in brain injury.

Wouldn't a three point belt with a longer ride down time reduce the transfer of energy to the brain?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

Not a correct or applicable comparison. It's not as easy as just looking t simply physics.

I used the same type of comparison as you did. Either they are both applicable or neither one is. I happen to vote "neither". If you prefer "both", then there are some serious contradictions for you to resolve.

We're talking about kids, not adults. There is a huge difference. Anyway, it's a subjective call so people can believe whatever they want to.

Sure, some people still believe the earth is flat. There are serious websites devoted to it and lots of unspecified research, too.

Fortunately, the laws of physics aren't on their side, either. Another good thing is that these laws apply the same way to both kids and adults, no matter how different you think they are.

The result (at least in the USA) is that auto and restraint system designers want the energy to be absorbed by the deforming structure of the vehicle and in the occupant restraint systems during the critical first milleseconds of a crash. Otherwise, that energy would transfer to the passenger's soft tissue.

A 5-point harness is great for babies and toddlers. It's also good for adults, as demonstrated by any professional driver. There isn't a magic "in-between" age where a 3-point seatbelt is mysteriously providing better restraint. The tradeoff is for comfort, convenience and having a system that isn't so complex that people will actually use it.

In a frontal crash, a shoulder belt that is positioned correctly is going to restrain the upper body about as well as a 5-point harness. Thus, you can have the best of safety, comfort, convenience and seatbelt use rates.

The tradeoff is that the lap/shoulder belt allows more of a chance for the occupant to be out of position and mitigate the restraint system. It also provides somewhat less coupling in a lateral impact.

I dislike the Freakonomics study as much as you do so please don't get these two things mixed up. They've got nothing to do with each other.

It's not a matter of like or dislike. Some people even go a step farther and believe it's safest to be unrestrained. They maintain it's better to be able to quickly escape the vehicle or be thrown from it in a crash.

As you said, people can believe what they want. Ultimately, you have to decide if being better coupled to the vehicle is a good thing or a bad thing. If you think it's a good thing, then you have to decide on the tradeoff between comfort and safety. If your kids obey you, then you don't have the tradeoff about not using the restraint system at all.

There's really no mystery. We would all be safest rear-facing in a 5-point harness, just as infants are. We're all the least safe with no restraint system at all. We're a little safer with a lap belt. Safer yet with a lap/shoulder belt. Even safer front-facing in a 5-point harness.

Each step of the way provides more coupling and more protection. It also provides less comfort and convenience and is more likely to be misused or not used at all.

The choice we all make is at what point is there a good compromise for any particular passenger, given the conditions in the society that might affect whether people use it and use it correctly. That's a very legitimate set of reasons why one type of restraint system might work better in one culture or country than another.

Maybe in Sweden you have a safer fleet of automobiles. Maybe you have better roads and signage. Maybe you have a better educated demographic of drivers. Maybe you have higher seatbelt use rates and lower incidence of impaired distracted driving. Maybe you have a higher rate of correct use for child restraints. Maybe you have a dozen other factors that lead to lower traffic fatality rates.

I'm pretty sure the one thing Sweden does not have is a different set of laws of physics that also vary depending on the age and size of the occupant.

When you can define the mysterious age range where a 3-point restraint is superior to a 5-point restraint in Sweden and provide at least some concrete research and statistics, then you have some basis to keep bringing it up over and over. Maybe there is a mitigating factor, once you isolate a dozen other variables that you constantly ignore.

Otherwise, it really is no different than Freakonomics. Yeah, it's an opinion to which you are entitled, but it may also be endangering other people's children. As such, it's not going to be tolerated on this forum indefinitely, outside of threads specific to this type of discussion on Swedish practice in the International Forum.

Now, if you want to say that a booster or lap/shoulder belt can be just as effective as a 5-point harness in some cases, that's great. At some age, there is a tradeoff where kids are old enough to get adequate restraint from a lap/shoulder belt, with or without a booster. They'd still be safer rear-facing, though. It's a tough enough choice for parents to make as it is. I have a kid in a seatbelt and one in a booster. I know they are reasonably safe if they remain in the correct position. I don't rationalize that they are just as safe as a child in a 5-point harness or one in a rear-facing seat, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC