Safety of Captain's Chairs for Rear-facing Car Seats

• Thread starter Soon-to-be New Mom
  • Start date
S

Soon-to-be New Mom

My husband and I are in the market for a new car pre-baby. Can anyone provide feedback on the safety of second row captain's chairs versus a second row bench seat for our infant's rear-facing car seat? Is one safer than the other? Anything we should consider? Thank you for any help that can be provided.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There should be little difference between the two. The most important thing is that your child restraint fits. If you already have a car seat, bring it along with you and try it in the car you want to buy to make sure. Some vehicles tend to be more difficult for installs than others, and a few vehicle/carseat combinations just don't work well.

If you can, be sure to insist on features like side curtain airbags and stability control. These are still optional on many models. You practically have to threaten to walk out of some dealers to make them order a vehicle for you with these features.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I agree with Darren that there is little differance safety wise between caption chairs & bench seats. Just like he said make sure your car seat fits the vehicle(s) you are looking at.

Now I have never had an issue with a dealership ordered the features I wanted. But, I agree a must is side curtain airbags for all rows of seating and stability control.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I agree with eveything Jen & Darren have said ... the only thing I wish to add is that it's also helpful to make sure the bench is reclineable -- because being able to recline a seat (bench or captain) before/during installation, then bringing it back upright afterwards can be a very useful "trick" for getting carseats in securely :cool: Another thing I've noticed is that the space between 2 captain chairs can be easier for getting from far rear to front without existing the vehicle -- quite nice in the winter when it's near 0* outside :rolleyes: ;)

Kellyr2

As for ease of use, I'd prefer captain's seats. I've got a middle bench, and I wish I had captain seats. For one thing, I HATE having to pick which kid gets to go in the middle position in the vehicle. For another, I know that I've talked to lots of people that have Regent's intalled in them. If I had them, I would have most likely gone ahead and gotten 2 regents/huskies instead of a Husky and a Marathon. It'll still work out fine in the long run - the baby will probably get this Marathon and I'll either get another Regent for Mikayla to move into or I'll move Aaric into a booster. Its possible that 2 regents would have fit side by side on the bench, but it would have been a VERY tight squeeze so I went with the MA instead.
So from the perspective of a bench seat owner, I recommend going for the captain seats. I think it would also help with the "she's touching me!!!!" battles of long drives LOL.

Sharlene

Senior Community Member
I have a Grand Caravan and 2 Huskies fit quite well on the 2-passenger bench seat. It was easy to install them as there was even a little room between them. On the back bench I can put 2 Huskies outboard, but there is no room for any other seat to be installed in the middle.

Sharlene

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I have a bench and we've had no problems w/ it. The 2 youngest will go up there when the baby comes and AJ will go in the back. I wanted captain's charis, but those vans were more expensive. :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm assuming you're asking me, but if not, I'll tell you anyways. lol We got an 06 Dodge Caravan. It's the very basic model, but we're looking at adding cruise control and at least automatic locks b/c w/ 3 kids I need it! :) I love it though, it's nice to have all the room now. Between the stroller, 2 seats, and 2 kids, the car was getting small, let alone adding a 3rd.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC