Question What Type of Pickup?

salandjeff

Hi - I am new here. Hoping someone can help.

We are looking for a used pickup, around $8K, probably a 2001-2003.

We need to know which ones will fit a carseat in the back. We have an evenflo car seat. We were thinking we needed a 4 door truck, like a crew cab. However, we are having a difficult time finding one. Now we are wondering if we can fit a carseat in an extended cab.

If anyone can recommend a truck that will fit the carseat in back, I would appreciate any advice! Thanks.

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
My dad drives a Frontier 4 door truck (I don't know what the model is called). It has a full size back seat and our carseats fit great in there. We have used rear-facing Marathons and high back boosters.

MomToEliEm

We have a 2003 Toyota Tundra extended cab (not full size back seat). It is a tight squeeze with most seats. The roundabout fit rearfacing in the middle, but not too well rearfacing in the passenger side. Right now we have a Parkway booster and a Graco Cargo in outboard postions and there really isn't a lot of leg room, but the girls don't seem to mind.

occupant

My mother-in-law has a 2000 model Silverado, extended cab, short bed, with buckets in front and a bench in the back. We have successfully loaded three car seats across in this, two pink Sceneras, one forward, one rear-facing, and another older seat forward. We put the rear-facing one in the middle so the top would be between the front seatbacks.

This is the same setup we used to get three across in a rented 4-door Chevy Cobalt. That was very tight but it did work and I have bruised wrists and knuckles to prove it.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
What is your need for a truck? If your needing a full size truck the Silverado/Sierra is going to be ideal in the extended cab verison. They have a bigger bench seat.

I know the Ford F150 4 dr crew cab trucks have been around for awhile so those should be easily to come by in your price range.

The 1500HD crew cabs started in the year models you are wanting. I am sure you can find one in your price range but it might have some miles on it though. Great trucks is all I can say. We have an '02 Silverado 2500HD Duramax crewcab with over 100k miles on it. We haven't had one single issue with it.

My dad has a '00 Dodge Cummings crewcab with almost 200k on it again no issues besides a new alternator just recently.

My thought are if you want a real truck then it's one of the Big 3 only. Sorry but the foreign boys just don't know trucks like Americans do. That is just my person opinion coming from a girl that lives in Truck country (Texas).

Yeah, them foreign jobbies are weak. Nothing like a "real" American truck. Just take a look at some crash test photos in 02 (right in the year range you're looking at) of a big tough F150 vs one of them glorified shoeboxes from one of them foreign boys.

mini_vs_f150.jpg

Built Ford tough. :p

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Safety clearly hasn't been a top priority for the Big Three on their truck platforms over the years. Things have improved somewhat in the last generation or so, with both crash test results and safety feature additions.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Safety clearly hasn't been a top priority for the Big Three on their truck platforms over the years. Things have improved somewhat in the last generation or so, with both crash test results and safety feature additions.

Yes, I personally have no qualms about my child riding in a newer truck, but I also realize (based on my Economics of Social Issues course) that only about 5% of of truck drivers use their trucks for their intended purposes on a regular basis.... This means that we are usually wasting LOTS of gas + money as well as letting way more toxins into their air than is necessary which harms our health (asthma, etc.) :thumbsdown:

The bigger question to me is, what exactly do you need out of a vehicle? If 95% of the time you'll merely be doing typical house chore type errands, then a front wheel sedan with better gas mileage is a smarter buy (especially thinking long term value & repairs) . . . most people where I live are doing this while keeping a "beater" truck in storage for those heavy duty truck needs :twocents: Of course their truck needs are on private property where insurance isn't necessarily required. The rest of us just rent a truck if needed.

Very true. Ford redesigned the F150 in 2004 and it was vastly improved in the safety dept. Still, the OP was asking about the 01-03 range and with that "Big 3 rule, foreign trucks suck" cheerleading, that was just asking for a post of that pic. :)

Although the Mini isn't a truck :cool:

That's the beauty of that pic. A dinky little mini (foreign car the size of a shoebox - the exact kind of car the full sized truck drivers love to make fun of) holds up far better in a crash than a big monster full sized truck.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well, yeah, I'm with ya on that part :thumbsup: but, we don't yet know whether another vehicle type is an option for the OP regardless of new crash tests (between vehicles the OP isn't asking about) :eek:

Oh, I wasn't trying to discourage her against getting a truck. People have mentioned the Toyota and Nissan trucks.

It's just I've encountered a lot of "American cars/trucks are the best, the foreign stuff sucks!" cheerleaders. They amuse me and that pic just calls out to be used whenever one of em pops up. I actually have no problems with American cars, just the American only cheerleaders. Cuz they grew up (cept for the REALLY old ones) during the time when American stuff just sucked bad compared to the foreign stuff (70s - early/mid 2000s). One side reason I like that pic is cuz I prefer GM over Ford and it gives me an opportunity to poke fun at Ford. I have to limit it to that pic tho cuz the Silverado sucked about as badly until 2008.

If OP must buy American, the Dodge Ram is ok from 2002+. I'd just strongly recommend against a 2001 or older Ram. Friend died in one so that particular model really bothers me. Possibly would have died in many other cars, but I'd have much more hope if he were in a Volvo instead of an American car.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Oh, I wasn't trying to discourage her against getting a truck. People have mentioned the Toyota and Nissan trucks.

It's just I've encountered a lot of "American cars/trucks are the best, the foreign stuff sucks!" cheerleaders. They amuse me and that pic just calls out to be used whenever one of em pops up. I actually have no problems with American cars, just the American only cheerleaders. Cuz they grew up (cept for the REALLY old ones) during the time when American stuff just sucked bad compared to the foreign stuff (70s - early/mid 2000s). One side reason I like that pic is cuz I prefer GM over Ford and it gives me an opportunity to poke fun at Ford. I have to limit it to that pic tho cuz the Silverado sucked about as badly until 2008.

If OP must buy American, the Dodge Ram is ok from 2002+. I'd just strongly recommend against a 2001 or older Ram. Friend died in one so that particular model really bothers me. Possibly would have died in many other cars, but I'd have much more hope if he were in a Volvo instead of an American car.

Like I said in the very beginning of my orginal post "What is your need for a truck?" If they just wanted a truck just to have a truck I was going to offer other alternatives but if they need it for it's true purpose I wanted to lead them in a good directions. Like others before me have said the forgein makers back seats are small and make installation hard or incompatible with most car seats. Why would your even through a vehicle out there that limits someone in what seats they can us?

I never said "foreign suck" and yes I am an American only cheerleader. I perfer to keep MILLIONS of AMERICANS in work then to keep feeding the foreign workers. If you want to debate on this I am game anyday but I don't want to side track the OP question.

As for your comment that the GM trucked as badly until 2008. I think you need to go look at NHTSA website. The '03 Silverado got 4 stars. Also in IIHS it got good ratings on injuries.

Just because your friend lost his life in a Dodge Ram doesn't mean they are unsafe. Remember not all crashes are survivable. Look at the Corble family. They were in a very safe minivan with great ratings. Not everyone is going to be lucky in a crash.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Derailing this thread by reviving the buy American vs. non-domestic brand debate isn't particularly helpful in addressing the OP's questions about carseat compatibility in pickup trucks. Please focus your replies on constructively answering the OP's questions regarding carseat compatibility in the various pickup truck models, and possibly give the OP a chance to respond with more details about their specific vehicle needs. Hopefully the OP hasn't been driven away entirely by the debate. :eek: Thank you.

Ok, "sucked badly" was a little harsh. But the IIHS ratings for it could stand with some improvement.

I disagree that buying from the Big 3 helps keep millions of Americans in work (vs Canadians or Mexicans) while buying foreign means feeding foreigners. We'll just leave it at that. Since lots of truck options were mentioned, I think OP has plenty to consider.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I disagree that buying from the Big 3 helps keep millions of Americans in work (vs Canadians or Mexicans) while buying foreign means feeding foreigners. We'll just leave it at that.

I think you need to go do some research on how many actual American (here on our soil) the Big 3 employee directly & indirectly before you comment on this subject. Trust me the foreign makers don't even come close. Like I said before if you want to debate this subject I am more then willing anytime.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ahem, please see my earlier post about derailing this thread, and take the debate to PM if you wish to continue it. The OP doesn't deserve having it completely derailed.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
We have a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 extended cab, a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab, and a 2006 Dodge Ram Quad cab.

The 01 bench is smaller since it has suicide doors. No 3 across. Locking latchplates. Lapbelt only in center position.

The 05 has locking latchplates, but a full size bench with 4 full doors. lap/ shoulder all 3 positions.

The 06 has switchable retractors. I can do 3 across with a Regent, a MA, and a BV. Here are some pictures of carseat installs in my 06.

I think Ford 4 doors would probably be about the same. Chevy's seem a tad smaller in the rear to me.

hope this helps some.

Pixels

FIL drives a 2007 Toyota Tundra extended cab and has a RFing EFTA in it. The passenger seat is pretty much in the dashboard but still possible to have an adult in it. Probably have a pair of busted femurs in an accident, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC