Why do I see so many people doing this?

I have seen more than a few people out there forward facing the infant rear facing seats!!! :eek: Why??? Have you seen this too?

I just dont get it.....And had to say something!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's like the people who RF the Nautilus... I am always confused how you do that when it clearly states on the instrustions and the side of the seat, "Forward" (or in the case of an infant seat, "rear") "facing only."

tjham

I have never personally seen it but hear about it often on this board.
The infant seat manufacturers should put a BIG label on the front of the base,
saying something along the lines of

"If you can see this after installation, you have it installed wrong!" :eek:

If your state has proper use language in its child restraint law you can call the police to report improper usage. Most of the time they won't do anything but take a report. However, they might be in the area and willing to address the improper usage. Education often goes further than penalties, but for some the fear of penalty furthers education.

As for why do people do something like this, I believe the reason is that they have heard at one year and twenty pounds they can face their child forward. They do not listen past that or have any understanding about the seat they are using. It's just one year and twenty, time to forward face, no matter what seat is being used. This situation is why it is so important for the correct message to be stated over and over again. Eventually, enough people will hear it and understand (some incorrectly :whistle:) and then its time for more education.

Andie

I was thinking that maybe the hooks for baseless installation are misleading to some people and they think that's how it goes? :confused:

Calleiah

Living in Dallas I see this A LOT. I especially see this in what appears to be immigrants (no particular group) and I've often wondered if it's a language barrier thing. Regardless, I always cringe when I see it. I've reported 2 of them to our local police department, but I have no idea what they did with the information.

Callie

mommy-medic

UGH I see it here in Atlanta too. The kicker is that when you install it forward facing, the seatbelt pulls on it, and when the parents slam on the brakes, the seat flips forward, making the kid do a faceplant on the seat. Nice and safe, huh.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have seen more than a few people out there forward facing the infant rear facing seats!!! :eek: Why??? Have you seen this too?

I just dont get it.....And had to say something!!

Yep, We had a new CPST class this past week. At their fitting station event we had 4 ff'ing infant only seats come in with 2yr olds in them. The new techs thought we set it up and could not believe that families actually do that. Trust me we didn't these up but it did show them that a lot of families do not follow manufacture instructions.

By the way we moved all the kids to convertibles and kept the infant carriers.

celtic1885

Yep, We had a new CPST class this past week. At their fitting station event we had 4 ff'ing infant only seats come in with 2yr olds in them. The new techs thought we set it up and could not believe that families actually do that. Trust me we didn't these up but it did show them that a lot of families do not follow manufacture instructions.

By the way we moved all the kids to convertibles and kept the infant carriers.

Oh my gosh! I was on the waiting list for that class!!!! so sad I didn't get it!

I saw one the other day, ff infant seat, just floored me. they were driving by on the highway so I couldn't get a good look at it.

I've never seen it. I'd like to see a pic cuz I can't imagine in my head how you could possibly use a seatbelt to do it.

Auntie2six

I saw a car with an infant seat FF the other day. It wasn't on the base though. It was a Graco Snugride. It had the seatbelt belted through the slots that you use for a RF baseless install.

cpsaddict

I see this SEVERAL times every day. They are mostly Spanish speaking immigrants(we live in a town that has a large immigrant population), which is no excuse since the labels are in Spanish as well. Most of the time, I see little babies in them FF.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Oh my gosh! I was on the waiting list for that class!!!! so sad I didn't get it!

I saw one the other day, ff infant seat, just floored me. they were driving by on the highway so I couldn't get a good look at it.

Safe Kids Collin County is working on their next CPST class. It will be after the holidays and I will let you know when it is. If your still interested at that time I will make sure you get in (nice thing about being the asst. coordinator). LOL!

I saw a car with an infant seat FF the other day. It wasn't on the base though. It was a Graco Snugride. It had the seatbelt belted through the slots that you use for a RF baseless install.

Wow! I thought that might be how you do it, but that just looks so scary for the baby I can't imagine why a parent wouldn't question that.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've never seen it. I'd like to see a pic cuz I can't imagine in my head how you could possibly use a seatbelt to do it.

It's actually pretty easy. I did it once just to show how easy:

IMG_2059.jpg

mamabear

I saw my first one a few weeks ago.
I was in such shock:eek:
It was a well dressed, proffesional man in a brand new Honda Pilot at the Costco Gas station.
I didn't see it until we drove past him. I made DH park and I got out and ran back over to talk to him, but he had left......:(

I saw a 2-3 year old on one FF once, but they were using it as a booster:thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC