Need high chair recommendations

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Z is going to be starting on solids soon and it just dawned on me that I'm going to be needing a high chair! :eek: I have never had a high chair that I loved, so I'm looking for recommendations. I'm tempted by the hook on high chairs (like the Phil & Ted Me Too Chair) and the booster seat style ones (like the Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair) because we don't have a lot of space, but I don't know if they'd be any good for every day use (and with those hook one ones, I'm not sure I would trust one for every day use). My one major requirement is that it has to be easy to clean. I just don't have the patience for cloth seat covers on high chairs, lol.

ADS

BW1426

I've been very happy with the Fisher Price Healthy Care booster. The tray even fits in the dishwasher. I got mine on sale at Target for $19. They have to be able to fully sit up to use it though. It folds down very compactly.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=2626212

My favorite fullsize high chair is the chicco polly.

ETA: I'm not a fan of the Space Saver. I didn't find it to really save that much space.

The Graco Contempo can fold flat when not in use.

The Combi Hero can either be used as a full size high chair or a booster chair.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I really love our First Years Reclining 4-Stage Feeding Seat (which is like the Fisher Price Space Saver-- but cheaper.) Its parts can go in the dishwasher too, it can hold everyone from non-eater just sitting at the table to toddler who needs a booster, and in a pinch can be taken to the sitter's or grandma's or whatever (although for that we prefer the On The Go Booster Seat, which we keep in our trunk. We took it on vacation to a friend's house, used it as a seat for our then-14-month-old while we were there, and she loved it so much we left it for the baby she was pregnant with and replaced ours when we got home. And you can get both of those for the price of the Fisher Price chair.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh, and ours did save space-- because we took off the tray and just pushed the seat under the table when we weren't using it. That won't work if your chair won't push in with the seat attached, though.

ErinGoBragh

I :love: my FP Space Saver. It has a full size tray and the tray sits up pretty high.

We also have the First Years Reclining 4-Stage Feeding Seat that someone else mentioned. I think it is great, but has 2 flaws IMO. The tray sits down really low. It was great when DS was an itty thing, but is much too low now. Also, my DS can easily pull off the tray because of the way that it attaches to the seat.

melniemi

I just got my dd a new high chair and I love it!!
100_7774.jpg

They also have one for younger babies and have a tray option.
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog...34089&parentCategoryId=85181&categoryId=85205

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I love my Peg Perego Prima Pappa...I bought it for DS#2, and it's been through 3 kids and still looks GREAT.

I've been tempted by the FP one that everyone mentions though...I do get tired of having a highchair around...however, now that all our chairs are already occupied at meals, I guess it would be a moot point. :rolleyes:

kate4478

another vote for the graco contempo! i absoutely :love: mine. it folds up very flat, only 7 inches when folded. it adjust up and down. has 2 trays and 2 covers(also vinyl).

melniemi

Your daughter is simply adorable! And I love the look of that high chair and it says it can convert into a teenage chair. Does it have a buckle to keep her in her seat?

Thank you:love: I got her the toddler chair. The link I posted has a buckle of some sort, but since she was 19 months when I got it, I didn't need it - so I save the extra $10.:love:

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
The Space Saver ones sound good, so I think I'll go with one of those. We're moving in a couple months, so I might wait and see if our new rental house will have more room. If so, then I might look more at the Polly and the Prima Papa. I'm going to look at the Graco Contempo too. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Rosey

I HATE the prima pappa. The tray sits too high and too far away from baby. So many crack and creases to clean. I cannot believe how much I spent on that junk. I LOVE the Contempo, and first years reclining booster (same as the fisher price space saver).

With the contempo, it folds flat, and comes with two seat covers, and the tray pushes all the way in. The space saver is awesome when you have enough dining chairs.

Pixels

I love my FP Space Saver. It has 3 reclines and the tray can go in the dishwasher. Three point (hips and crotch) or five point buckle/harness. When baby turns into a tot, you can take off the cover and the high back comes off, and it's a booster seat. In booster mode you can still use the 3 point harness. You can even change the height to raise it up higher with a built in adjustment on the bottom.

I also have a Chicco Deluxe Travelseat. It is one of those hook-on seats, but it also breaks down and goes into a bag that is the size of a thin diaper bag. We use that when we go out to eat and for grandparents' houses. There are some placement issues with it - has to be directly on the table, not on a placemat or tablecloth. Can't put it on the leaf of a table, or on one with a glass top. And you have to make sure that LO can't reach any table legs to push off with their feet. But it does go around a table skirt of IIRC 3 inches and adjusts super easy to different thicknesses of the table, which makes it perfect for our use.

sparkyd

I have the Graco Contempo and I'm not planning on using it again for baby #2. There is nothing specifically wrong with it, I've just realized that all standard high chairs like this one are a PITA to keep clean. Keeping the tray and seat (bum part) clean is easy enough, but you've also got to constantly wipe down the seat back and the parts on the side (not part of the seat or tray) that get food smeared on them etc. Even trying to give a thorough wipe to all parts after every meal, it still seems gungy after awhile. There is no point in using the snap in tray top because when you do you still have to clean the tray underneath. Next time I'll be getting an el cheapo ikea high chair. It gets nothing but rave reviews, no nooks and crannies, and you can actually put the whole seat in the sink if you have to.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50146793
(there is also a tray for $5)

The Fisher Price Healthy Care booster is also a winner. I've got a couple of friends that use those at home instead of high chairs. Excellent seat for taking out anywhere as well. Can be used on a chair or on it's own on the floor. Everybody seems to have one at birthday parties.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC