Question CarSeat Help

U

Unregistered

I stumbled across this site, while searching the internet and could use a little help. I have a daughter who just turned 5 and is 32 pounds and 43 inches tall. She needs a new seat, but since the she isnt 40 pounds she cant go into a booster seat. ( Im in Canada). So I was looking at the Britax Frontier but it sure is expensive 319.99. Does anyone have a suggestion of any other car seats that would be comparable? I would like something that allows the highest height as I want this to be the last seat we need for her, and it needs to last her until she is apx 9 years old. What is the expiry on Britax seats? I also have a 6 month old son who needs to upgrade from his infant carseat also. I have no idea what to get him either...So confused. Thanks

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Because you're in Canada, I'm moving this to the Canadian forum. Your options *are* different, and you're more likely to get the most accurate advice if your post is over there.

northernmommy

What seat is she currently in? And do you know her torso height?

Your options for seats with a higher top harness height are the Sunshine Kids Radian (RN), the First Years TrueFit (TF), Britax Marathon (MA), Evenflo Triumph Adavance (EFTA) and possible the Graco Nautilus (GN), as it should be in stores within the next few weeks. However, if she has outgrown her current seat already, it's really not safe to wait for the GN.

My first choice for you would probably be the RN, as it has the highest harness slots of any seat currently available (besides the Frontier, I believe). It tends to run in the $200-300 range. Second choice would be the TF ($150-$200), as it has a nice high harness as well. My 5yo dd rides in both these seats, and has about an extra inch to grow in the RN over the TF.

HTH!

eta: I would reccomend the TF for your son as well, as it has a 35lb rf limit (babies and small children are far, far safer when riding rear facing, so around here we really like to see kids rf to the limits of their convertable seat) and a 65lb ff limit, at about 1/2 the price of the Britax seats...

keri1292

Hi! How much room does your 6-month old have over his head and how much does he weigh? If he has a few more weeks in the infant seat, I'd suggest getting a True Fit for dd to use for a few weeks, until the Nautilus becomes available. Then, hand the True Fit down to the baby and get dd the Nautilus. :)

The True Fit is a very nice convertible and rear-faces to 35lbs. Rear-facing is the safest way for babies and toddlers to ride! :)
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

April

Hi! How much room does your 6-month old have over his head and how much does he weigh? If he has a few more weeks in the infant seat, I'd suggest getting a True Fit for dd to use for a few weeks, until the Nautilus becomes available. Then, hand the True Fit down to the baby and get dd the Nautilus. :)

The True Fit is a very nice convertible and rear-faces to 35lbs. Rear-facing is the safest way for babies and toddlers to ride! :)
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

:yeahthat:

Absolutely that is what I'd do. The TF is $199 at Zellers, and I'd encourage you to buy it there, because it goes on sale about once a month and you'll get $50 back if you keep the receipt. The Nautilus would be a great choice for your five year old. It should be available in the next couple of weeks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC