What cars pre-2002 have LATCH?

ADS

TerisBoys

Ford Focus and Windstar 2001, Dodge minivans - 2001 are some I know off the top of my head. POSSIBLY Ford Taurus, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

crunchierthanthou

subaru outback
chevy venture, pontiac transport, oldsmobile silhouette

Teri is correct, Ford Taurus beginning in 2001 (though there is a recall on the lower anchors for that model year).

going through the LATCH manual-
BMW 3 series, 5 series, M3
Chevy Silverado extended and crew cabs
Chrysler Sebring, PT Cruiser
Dodge Stratus
Ford Escape
GMC Sierra extended and crew cabs
Honda Accord, Civic, Passport, Odyssey
Hyundai Elantra
Jaguar S-type
Kia Optima
Lexus GS 300, GS 430, LS 430, RX 300, LX 470
Licoln LS
Mazda Protege
Mercury Sable, Villager
Mitsubishi Galant, Monetero, Montero Sport
Nissan Maxima, Sentra, Quest
Oldsmobile Alero
Pontiac Aztec, Grand Am
Saab 9-3
Subaru Legacy
Toyota Corolla, Echo, Highlander, Prius, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Sienna
Volvo S40, S60, S80, V40, V50, V70

I may have missed some, but pretty much all of those were 2001. As you can see, it's totally hit and miss. Volvo was pretty much the only manufacturer to have them in almost all vehicles by then.

Last edited:

vonfirmath

Thank you, crunchier. It appears we are getting a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am.

Turns out the Chevy Malibu is the same as the Grand Am 1999-2005 so it also had LATCH in 2001. :) But the car we (think) we've found is a 91K mile Grand Am for 2001 (so relatively low miles).

Thanks for all the help.

(I also found a comment on this board that the Grand AM in general is easy to put car seats in that helped me make my decision)

crunchierthanthou

Turns out the Chevy Malibu is the same as the Grand Am 1999-2005 so it also had LATCH in 2001. :)

My '01 VW Golf has LATCH. :thumbsup:

see? I told you I'd probably missed some.

The LATCH manual lists LATCH as starting in 2002 for the Malibu. We should probably email SRN to make sure that's correct before the 2009 edition comes out. It would make sense for it to have it sooner since the Alero also did and was basically the same as the Grand Am too.

Some VWs had LATCH starting in 1999 (I was skimming for lines starting with 01 :eek:). The Cabrio, Golf, Jetta and New Beetle all had them in at least some 1999 MYs (depending on manufacture date). Also, you may come across some 1999-2002 Passats with lower anchors because for several years Volkswagon provided them as a retrofit for no charge.

Pixels

My husband has a 99 Grand Am. I have installed a few seats (BabyTrend LatchLoc base, BabyTrend bucket without the base, Graco CS RFing, RN FFing and RFing) and gotten rock-solid installs on all of them. I did have to use a noodle to level the base on the infant seat, which also raised it up enough that the long belt stalk was not an issue. I recently tried to remove the noodle, but then the stalk was too long for the base to be secured properly. I did have to twist the belt stalk one time for the RN. It was tough to twist; I ended up getting it twisted over once (half way around) below the seat cushion and the other half-twist above the cushion for one full turn. Oh and I used the tricks from the forward of the bight RN install thread that is around here somewhere. But yeah, all of the installs that I have attempted on the Grand Am ended up great. The RN was tricky at first but I eventually got it.

lillpistol

I have a 2001 Grand Am with Latch. I currently have 2 FPSVD installed using Latch, one FF and one RF. Both are rock solid. I have also had luck with the Graco Snugride base. Prior to the FPSVD, I had an Evenflo Triumph Deluxe and it installed well too.

The only think with the FPSVD is that the passanger seat is push up pretty far for the RF install. But I hardley ever have passangers. Right now I am looking in Radians, so I can fit three across when our new baby arrives next March.

Becki

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
There should be a sticker on the inside of the door frame (usually a rear door on the driver's side if it's a 4-door car), or underneath the hood indicating the car's date of manufacture and from that you can usually determine the model year for the car. The car's title or registration paperwork should have the correct model year on it, too.

vonfirmath

The sticker says it was manufactured 8/2000 which my husband says means model year 2001. So evidently they didn't start putting LATCH in these cars until later in the model year :(

Jeanum

Staff member
Aww, bummer. The LATCH manual indicates 2001 Grand Ams have full LATCH outboard and a top tether anchor in the center rear spot, without any note about LATCH being phased in during that model year. :( On the bright side, your car should have top tether anchors for all 3 rear seating positions because tether anchors were required factory equipment and phased in earlier than lower LATCH anchors. Tether anchors are a bigger deal IMHO because of their longer term usefulness. :)

vonfirmath

Yes, it does have tether anchors. And that is what the dealer was looking at when he verified it had LATCH. (We bought from my parents' next door neighbor, in South Carolina. And my parents brought the car to us in Texas. I'm going to suggest to my dad he at least inform the guy about what LATCH is so he won't mess someone else up like this. It isn't really returnable because of the way we bought it, etc...

We have installed the Marathon in the backseat with the seatbelt and it has a good install at the seatbelt path (it moves more elsewhere, but the install at the seatbelt path is what is important, correct?)

Jeanum

Staff member
Right, you want less than 1 inch of movement at the carseat's belt path when you tug on the carseat with your non-dominant hand to test for movement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC