Ducklings magazine: 1 year OR 20 lbs

B

boingo82

If you shop at Albertsons grocery (west coast), you may have gotten a copy of "ducklings" magazine, or you may be able to pick one up in store.

The Summer 2006 issue purports to have an issue on car seat safety.
The article says..

"Rear-facing seat - birth to age 1 or 20 lbs"

"Your baby should ride in a rear-facing seat for her first year"

"Front-facing seat - from age 1 or 20 lbs"

The article was written by James Badham, and the contact for the magazine is albertsons@ducklings.com. I am writing them a letter. Join me. I am TICKED at the sloppiness in researching this article.

ADS

scatterbunny

Just out of curiosity, where on the west coast are you? I'm on the north Oregon coast.

Too bad that outdated info is still getting out there in current advice and publications. Be sure to include links to the AAP policy statement on rear-facing.

Sad to say though, some state laws still don't say a child has to be both 1 and 20 pounds before FF. I know we expect articles to contain current recommendation and best practice, but it seems like often it gets confused with the bare minimum/state law, or simply OLD information. :(

B

boingo82

Actually I'm not on the west coast- meant to say "western us" as I'm in Utah which is about as far east as Albertson's goes.

I actually included (with links) the policies of the AAP, NHTSA, seatcheck.org, safekids.org, Partners for Child Passenger Safety, The March of Dimes, and Mayo Clinic, all of whom say at least 1 year AND 20 lbs. (Those were the most reputable authorities that came up in the first 2 pages of Google results.) I questioned how much research was done for the article if they were posting information contrary to the policies of all these reputable organizations.

Regarding state laws, I could see how they might have just published one state's law, but that's still irresponsible seeing as the magazine is distributed in other states with differing laws.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC