Mazda 5 vs Ford Freestyle

U

unregistered

Mattypies here, I can't remember my password!

I am looking into downsizing from my current minivan and I am interested in the Mazda 5 and the Freestyle. I like the option of still being able to bring friends along, I have 2 children 4 and 8.

I would only buy with side airbags and stability control but the Mazda has not yet been rated and that scares. I would really enjoy the cheaper gas on the mazda.

Do you think the mazda is a really safe vehicle or would the freestyle be an increase in safety?

Darren, I would love your inputon this!

Heather

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hi-

The Mazda 5 looks very nice, but without any crash test results it's impossible to comment on it. The Freestyle turned in very impressive results. Like the Mazda5, it's only drawback is the lack of stability control. Maybe they will add it to the 2007 Freestyle, supposedly its final year of production.

The Toyota Highlander (w/3rd row option), Honda Pilot, Chrysler Pacifica and Subaru B9 Tribeca are reasonable competitors, too.

U

Unregistered

Stability Control?

The salesrep for Maxda told me that the GT had side curtain for all occupants and stability control.

What am I missing?

Heather

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I have had a mazda 5 since January. I am intersted in the testing results once they are published. I have side curtain airbags in all rows and they did come standard. I love my 5 and am so happy I got it. The kids are very comfortable, they both ride in the second row captains chairs. I am happy with the gas mileage, I have put 12,000 miles on it already (I drive for work). It handles really well in both wet and snowy weather. It drives much like my mazda 3 did. I am very happy with it.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My apologies, I thought it did not have stability control. Perhaps it is dependent on trim level or options packages.

U

Unregistered

Darren

IF you were to buy a regular sedan what would you buy? Assuming you did not need a 3rd row?

Heather

U

Unregistered

Dsunny1 said:
I have had a mazda 5 since January. I am intersted in the testing results once they are published. I have side curtain airbags in all rows and they did come standard. I love my 5 and am so happy I got it. The kids are very comfortable, they both ride in the second row captains chairs. I am happy with the gas mileage, I have put 12,000 miles on it already (I drive for work). It handles really well in both wet and snowy weather. It drives much like my mazda 3 did. I am very happy with it.

I read through your other posts on your Mazda 5, thanks for your input.

One of my concerns with the 5 is cargo. How do you carry groceries for example? I really don't think they would fit behind the third row and if I tumble the 3rd row I could see them flying through the second row and making a mes not to mention the safety hazard. With my van I always make sure that the 3rd row is up so that at least in a rear or frontal collision they would be contained.

i would really like to get good gas mileage!

Heather

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
Although I am a tech and know about hazards of projectiles..... I usually just put them in the back. I keep the third row seats down most of the time. If the kids are not with me, then I put them in the second row, under the rearfacing marathon on the floor board. The marathon is resting against my driver seat. I don't usually have the kids when I grocery shop, I prefer to go while they are at school/daycare and I empty the car before I pick them up.

The only concern I have is with the way the third row's headrests are and the instruction in the manual to route the tether of a forward facing seat over them. I have been trying to find a good solution to how to install a forward seat infront of that headrest and comply with both the car seat manufacturer's instructions and the car's instructions. I haven't gotten a good answer to my question about that, but I also don't need to put a forward facing seat in the third row with only two kids. My son is still rearfacing and my daughter is in a booster.
Hope this helps, have a great day and good luck on your decision.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Love my 5

I really love my Mazda 5. The sliding doors alone make it much more user-friendly than the Freestyle to me. I like the side curtain airbags as well. The gas mileage has been great, too.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Dsunny1 said:
The only concern I have is with the way the third row's headrests are and the instruction in the manual to route the tether of a forward facing seat over them.

You probably already know this, but apparently this is because the shoulder part of the rear seats (underneath the headrests) is comprised of fairly thin padding and will/might compress in a crash under a tether strap. If you press on the shoulder part and then press on the top of the headrest, you can feel the difference.

I believe Mazda suggests to take off the headrests, but tighten the tether as much as possible to get the slack out from that flimsy padding.

U

Unregistered

I have had a freestyle for almost 1 year and have over 20,000 miles on it already. I LOVE it and feel its a great compromise between a mini-van and suv. (as we cannot afford my dream car of toyota minivan) If you haven't given it a test drive yet I would really encourage you to do so. I wasn't super sold on the car and my friend told me to drive it, I did and bought one in a few days. I love that it has Volvo technology in it. I do lots of driving with my kids and also participate in a carpool.
My friend also bought a freestyle (after driving mine) and just got in a wreck. Someone ran a red light and slammed at about 35 mph directly into her driver side door. She walked away with a bruise on her arm and that was it. (she did not opt for the side-airbag option--it is an OPTION so you may want to be sure you ask for it). We also got over 15 ft. of snow this winter and I never had a slip or slide. I do have the awd model but it also offers a traction control option as well.
Anyway, I love my car and am really glad to have it --- it also sounds like the Mazda 5 has lots of fans on this board -- but as a freestyle owner I just had to pipe in!

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
My manual clearly states that the tether must go over the headrest in the third row or the vehicle's seat could be compromised with the force of the tether directly on it. I have called mazda about it and they told me you have to keep the headrests intact and wouldn't allow for me to turn the headrests around backward which would solve the problem of them pushing the child seat too far forward. It is very flimsy and I dont' think I would trust a tether directly on it.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Dsunny1 said:
I have called mazda about it and they told me you have to keep the headrests intact and wouldn't allow for me to turn the headrests around backward which would solve the problem of them pushing the child seat too far forward.

Hmmm. When I called they said I could remove the headrest.

Well, maybe I'll just never be in that predicament. :)

U

Unregistered

For those of you who are concerned about the lack of crash ratings for the Mazda 5, have a look at this article.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/04/24/004690.html

The European and Japanese crash safety standards are actually more stringent compared to their US counterparts.

This article was a clincher in our decision to go with the Mazda5.

Hope this helps!

Splash

I have the deal on the table for the Subaru.
Must. Not. Relent.
Must. Buy. Subaru.
Will. Not. Buy. Mazda. 5.

Did that sound convincing?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC