Small list of third row vehicle pricing

monstah

I have compiled a list of pricing that others may find helpful.

I took the vehicles from 2006 to 2008 that are listed in the top 10% (in order) of www.informedforlife.org for safety and that also have third row seating and listed their pricing.

The 2008's are actually starting prices, and you can expect the 2009's to be priced within $1,000 of this.
The 2008 prices should be going down as we get closer to 2009.

Kia Sedona (van)
Honda Odyssey (van)
2009: 26,255
Acura MDX (suv)
Ford Taurus X (suv)
Hyundai Entourage (van)
Buick Enclave (suv)
GMC Acadia (suv)
Saturn Outlook (suv)
Mazda CX-9 (suv)
Honda Pilot (suv)
Hyundai Veracruz (suv)
Chrysler T & C (van)
Subaru B9 Tribeca (suv)
Toyota Sienna (van)

The 2007 & 2006's have the expected retail price's as listed on www.edmunds.com.
These are beginning trim level prices (mostly.) Higher trim levels & options will be more expensive.

Kia Sedona (van)
Honda Odyssey (van)
EX: 21,289
Hyundai Entourage (van)
SE: 16,757
Mazda CX-9 (van)
Sp AWD: 22,251
Honda Pilot (suv)
LX AWD: 18,744
GMC Acadia (suv)
SLE-1: 20,629
Saturn Outlook (suv)
XE: 20,478
Subaru B9 (suv)
7 pass: 20,672
Hyundai Veracruz (suv)
GLS AWD: 20,506
Nissan Quest (van)
3.5SL: 18,522
Ford Freestyle (suv, discontinued)
SELAWD: 18,083

Kia Sedona (van)
EX: 12,475
Honda Odyssey (van)
LX: 17,124
Honda Pilot (suv)
LXAWD: 16,885
Subaru B9 Tribeca (suv)
7 pass: 19,607
Nissan Quest (van)
3.5: 14,033
Ford Freestyle (suv)
SELAWD: 16,280

I hope this helps someone else.

Last edited:
ADS

Just beware that residual value, I would consider a Sedona if you have no intentions of selling it again after a couple of years.

Just wanted to mention carsdirect.com Edmunds is great to find the invoice, but their "True Market Value" number is useless. Use carsdirect to get an actual written price you can get that vehicle for in your area. Take that number to dealers and have em beat it. You shouldn't have a problem getting a dealer to beat the carsdirect price unless you live somewhere where there's no other dealer for hundreds of miles. Edmunds has message boards where you may be able to get market prices in your area as well.

My family has also had great success getting those 1 or 2 advertised specials in the local newspaper. Just show up on Friday or right before the dealer opens on Saturday. By law (at least in CA), they're required to actually have those vehicles and if they won't sell it to you at that price on Friday, if you show up at opening on Saturday, they can't say it was sold. My mom's Sienna was an advertised special. My parents actually went in ahead of time and told them they were interested in future specials. A little while later, the dealer was gonna put a couple of Siennas on sale and a salesperson called my mom to give her a heads up. She called back to say she was interested, and showed up Sat. morning. Easy sale and she even got to choose btw the two or three colors they had.

hillary116

The Ford Freestyle (that you listed) is now called the Ford Taurus X. It has 3 rows. Around 28,000 for a 2008, I think. We have the Freestyle and love it! Thanks for making the list- my sister will find this very helpful :thumbsup:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Volvo XC90 also has a third row.

And maybe the Mercedes R or something? That must be sick expensive...
The OP was only posting vehicles that were in the top 10% for safety on Informedforlife.org (based on IIHS and NHTSA ratings and other criteria) so that may be why they were not put on the list. For '09, it seems there isn't data for the MB R-class yet and the Volvo XC-90 is "medium risk". For '08, the R-class is "medium risk" and the XC-90 is in the best 6%, so it could be on the list for '08. I didn't check prior years as I was just doing a quick scan.

minismom

The OP was only posting vehicles that were in the top 10% for safety on Informedforlife.org (based on IIHS and NHTSA ratings and other criteria) so that may be why they were not put on the list. For '09, it seems there isn't data for the MB R-class yet and the Volvo XC-90 is "medium risk". For '08, the R-class is "medium risk" and the XC-90 is in the best 6%, so it could be on the list for '08. I didn't check prior years as I was just doing a quick scan.

Thanks! Was there any mention on why the xc90 went from best 6% to "medium"? I havent heard of any redisigns on the 09 model, but I guess I'm glad I have the 08. I remember from this thread that it met all critera for a safe 3rd row:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37243&highlight=thirdrow

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks! Was there any mention on why the xc90 went from best 6% to "medium"? I havent heard of any redisigns on the 09 model, but I guess I'm glad I have the 08. I remember from this thread that it met all critera for a safe 3rd row:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37243&highlight=thirdrow
Okay, I think I found out what's up. NHTSA has released crash data for the '09 models (I don't think they retested, it's the same vehicle in the pics as '08) but IIHS has not released theirs yet (currently the XC-90 model test go up to '08). So, on informedforlife.org, the '09 will have "average" scores put in for the IIHS test results, which lowers it's risk index. Once the IIHS scores are updated, the informedforlife.org risk score will go up (since I am assuming it will be "Good" ratings for everything again since the model hasn't changed for '09). I customized the Xc-90's results on informedforlife.org and edited the IIHS scores to be "Good" and the risk score is then 61.4 which puts the XC-90 into the "safest" group and in the top 8% (not sure what the official percent will be).

So, I believe the XC-90 should be added to the list! :)

I'll check out the R-class to see if it has any of the same issues.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, I checked out the R-class and for '08, there is only crash test data from IIHS and not from NHTSA, so NHTSA was assumed "average". This may be accurate for side impact (since IIHS scores were "acceptable" and not "good"), but is likely low for frontal impact. So, my guess is the R-class will have a higher score as well. I wanted to customize it and put in more accurate data, but there wasn't any testing of prior model years by NHTSA so nothing really to make an educated guess on. I plugged in some realistic numbers and it would likely end up on the low end of "medium" risk (it currently sits at high) or at the high end of "safest". Either way, much better than it sits now.

Thats my only gripe with informedforlife.org, the "average" assumptions that aren't made obvious on the charts (ones where average values were used should have an indicator beside them or something). Or maybe if IIHS or NHTSA didn't test, their results should be left out entirely and not assumed as average, and then an indicator put beside that vehicle showing that here's the score with current data, but not all data is present so it might not be accurate.

minismom

Thanks so much for checking it out! It's very messed up that they used average when there was no testing, totally misleading...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Be aware that the 04-07 Siennas are in the top few percent (60.2 rating or so on IFL) if you make sure they have side curtain airbags (standard from 06, available as an option from 04) and VSC (available as an option 04-07.) So ask if they have any earlier Siennas on the lot with both those options and you may get a better price if you buy used! (We don't really believe in new cars and we're getting a Sienna next so I've just been researching it!)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ford has some confusingly similar models names. :eek: The Ford Freestyle is a crossover vehicle and it was renamed the Taurus X starting with the 2008 model year. The Ford Freestar is a discontinued minivan model and similar to the earlier Ford Windstar minivan.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No worries. :) There's also the Ford Flex crossover vehicle and the Ford Edge crossover, but the Ford Edge lacks a third row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC