I got someone to get a Evenflo Triumph advance over 3-in-1-Babies R US WASN"T HAPPY, then was happy LOL!! LOL!

So, I went to babies r us today to get my friend who just went into labor a gift and there were these parents there ooing and ahhhing over the seats... They were deciding between the Graco Nautilus, Evenflo Triumph advance and 3-in-1 seat.....

I saw there baby could not be more than 1 year old.... I just casually said... that is a great seat(when they were near the Evenflo triumph advance) and then they started to ask me about it and whatnot...and they said their lil' guy(SUPER SHORT TORSO) was 10 months old and 22 pounds and just outgrew his snugride....

So... the babies r us person comes over and says, but you will get the most money out of the 3-in-1(the one that was not 50 pounds).... I said, I am sorry, but the evenflo triumph advance is really nice, will last longer and whatnot...

And then the babies r us said well he will be in a booster in a year anyways :eek: so may as well get one that changes to a booster.

The parents looked confused! Then I told them about Rearfacing and to at least 2 years old and 30 pounds... or to the limits of the seat(and explained that).

The babies r us manager then comes over(her employee called her over) and the lady said... Please quit trying to sell the seats you are not an employee here.

I said, Excuse me, I am a customer, a mom, a carseat advocate... I am giving them my opinion on the seats....

Then, the parents said, We obviously don't want to listen to your employee because she is saying he will be ready for a booster in a year and we know that is not true....

So, in the end these people got an evenflo triumph advance is going to rearface to the limits, I gave them my myspace site of carseat saftey stuff, and watched them install the seat(ROCK SOLID)......

I am so happy! I went to check out at babies r us afterwards and the lady said, I just wanted to apoligize and offer you a job here! LOL! LO!L LOL!

I declined and said I have a job and just wish they would educate their employees better.

In the end she was mad and then happY! LOL! I helped someone and also got a person to get a high back instead of a low back for their 5 year old(they didn't want a harness, there was no way of convincing them).

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh wow. What a great day. I can't believe the BRU employee said that to you! You weren't trying to sell a seat, you were pointing out the advantages and disadvantages of the seats they already were willing to buy.

Wendy

Rosey

Sheesh, it isn't like you were vastly changing their price range, or telling them they could get a better deal online (guilty of that)! I'm glad they apologized and so happy you were able to spread the word and keep a little one safer.

Wow, so were they a little weirded out by you watching them install their seat?

Good work :thumbsup:

No, they actually asked me to install it for them, I said it is better to go to a certified tech but , but they said they needed the seat installed now, since he outgrew his snugride... I said I would watch and just check it afterwards I just showed them what the knobs did and whatnot...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's funny! What a great story though. I was in BRU the other day and I think I sold the GN over a 3-in-1 for a 30# 2yo. I was hoping to see them at our check on Saturday but I didn't. She seemed really interested in the GN though. At least your BRU guy could've showed them the 50# 3-in-1, that ones at least decent IMO.

Carefulove

What a great thing you did! :thumbsup:

I think it would be an excellent investment for TRU and BRU to train their employees and have at least one certified CPST per store. They could even install the seats if asked!
It would be a big advantage over other stores that sell the same seats at a cheaper price!

Lea_Ontario

What a great thing you did! :thumbsup:

I think it would be an excellent investment for TRU and BRU to train their employees and have at least one certified CPST per store. They could even install the seats if asked!
It would be a big advantage over other stores that sell the same seats at a cheaper price!

My BRU has two CRST's on staff, but the training to the rest of the staff is woefully inadequate.

We cannot install seats, not even the CRST's, as it is liability for the store, not just for the tech's.

Kat_Momof3

great job!!

and I agree... a good tech would be having them do it themselves after they show them how to install it, so better to just check their work and make sure they know how to use the seat, since they were leaving with baby in it.

barnmama25

I would have asked the store manager if she had paid any attention to this months Baby Event's, since it is September and September is Child Passenger Safety month, BRU has put out a flyer that focuses on CPS. The content of the flyer is provided by Safekids and is the best flyer I have seen in a store ever! I just picked it up this past weekend at BRU. The cover shows a child about 2 years old rear facing in an AOE (or the like, hard to tell them apart these days). Inside the flyer it addresses the facts of child safety in cars, how to choose a seat and when to switch seats. The best part is in the deffinition of the different car seats. For rear facing they go over all the basic elements but at the end they write "Keep your child in a rear facing car seat until you can answer yes to either of these questions: Does your child exceed the convertible car seat's rear facing height or weight limits? Is your child's head within one inch of the top of the car seat?" Woot I am so glad ERF is being pushed in more publications (although I doubt even with it printed many will follow the suggestion :( ) The toddler seat section and booster seat section were also filled with great advice that we here repeat daily.
Also dont be hesitant to write an email to the corporate offices if you hear unsatisfactory information (links are on TRU's website). I have done this many times in the past and corperate headquarters has always been thankful for the information, but they do require to know at least the city or address the store was in. I can only say that doing so will more than likely bring on more educational flyers, resources and training to store employee's. After all babies are their business and shouldn't they be trying their hardest to protect their source of revenue?

Amaris

I had a lady in the car seat section of a bru tell me they aren't allowed to be certified because that would cause them to lean more toward certain seats and they aren't supposed to show preferences. Of course most bru employees seem to show a preference for the 3 in 1's anyway. This is also the lady who told my dh he didn't want to buy that seat (he was putting dd in a GN just to tease me!) because she shouldn't be forward facing for quite some time yet, and she was already a year and looked about 14 months at the time!!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Other chain stores like The Right Start have CPST's on staff. In fact The Right Start will install your seat for free if you buy it from them or charge you $25 to do it if you didn't buy it from there.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC