Car Seat in UHaul's

Can someone tell me the safety aspect of a 6 year old riding in a UHaul in a Regent carseat?

If we make this trip to MO, it'll be 14+ hours and we will be driving a UHaul that's towing our van (which won't drive over the main mountain we have to go over). We will also be driving a Toyota Corrolla. We have 3 kids, ages 6, 5, and 3. They currently sit in 2 Regents and a Nautilus. Our other option is to have the 6 year old in a BPP in the Corolla with the other 2 in GN's...but she doesn't always sit still in it, so I don't like that option for this long trip.

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
My experience with U Hauls (limited to 3-4 x's) is that you can get a brand spanking new one or a really skanky, beat up one.

If you have a new one, I'd be okay with having one child ride in the U Haul - but you won't know the condition until you rent it. If it's older, I wouldn't be nearly as comfortable. Also, I'm not sure if the UHaul is required to have top tether which would also be a factor in allowing a child to ride in the front seat of a truck.

I'm thinking 3 across in a Corolla will be cozy and I'm not sure what combination of seats might work. What are the sizes of your children and do you have any other seats (besides the BPB) available?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I doubt they'd have a tether anchor. I've never seen one that does. So if you have to put a seat in there, I'd put the Regent in the Corolla and one of the Nautilus kids in the U-Haul, I think. But booster and 2 seats might be a better idea, though I don't know how on earth you're going to fit 2 Nautili and a booster in a Corolla!

BW1426

Is there any reason why you can't drive the van and tow the car?

ETA: Can the car make it over the mountain :scratcheshead:
How far into your trip is the mountain?

christineka

Our 12 hour move turned into a much, much longer trip. The Uhaul went 25 mph up mountains... (We moved from CA to UT, so lots of mountains.) Dh will never rent from Uhaul again for a state to state move.

Michi

When we rented from U-haul, they said that we could not have children ride in the truck at all. It was in our rental agreement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC