booster for thin child

D

deb

I want to try this quest for the new seat for hubby's car from a different angle.

Is there a booster that is especially good for tall skinny children? This also may be good for when she outgrows the one in my car, which gets a lot more use for sure. They just all seem so big and wide. I'd really like something that isn't such a beast.

Deb

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You might like the new Fisher Price booster -- not sure if it's out yet or when it will come out :confused: It's based on the Britax Starriser Comfy, which was discontinued & was the narrowest booster on the market :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think the Britax seats are pretty narrow, I know the Strarriser was, but they discontinued it a little while ago. You can still find them though.

D

deb

Is the Fisher Price Booster.....

Are you referring to the safe voyage booster? In the picture it doesn't have a harness. Is that OK? It says it's OK from 30 lbs.

Deb

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm confused -- boosters don't use harnesses ... are you looking for a thin "combination" seat that can harness & then be used as a booster :confused: If so, then unfortunately no combination seat makes an *excellent* booster after the harness is outgrown :eek:
  • What is kiddo's age, weight & height?
  • What vehicle year, make, model?

Last edited:
D

deb

I'm confused

I guess this is why I'm asking these questions. I'm really confused over what is neccessary at this point in her life. I'm not a mom that worries much about safety, but I still want to make a correct decision according to law and conventional recommendations.

Does she still need the 5 point harness at 3 and 30lbs? If not, I'd be happy to just use a booster with the seat belt. I read a recommendation that says they need the harness till 40 lbs, but she won't be 40lbs for a long, long time. I just want a sensible, long term solution that is portable and doesn't take up the entire backseat of his little Mazda.

Deb

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
  • What is the child's actual age, weight & height?
  • What is the vehicle year, make & model?
  • What carseat does she currently use?
  • Do you have a budget if you do need a new seat?
  • How many other passengers need to use the backseat?
    • (please include ages if they're children)
4 years old & 40# is the minimum recommendation for graduating into a booster, according to the CPST curriculum through Safe Kids & National Highway Traffic Safety Administration -- an exception being if the adult has a medical condition preventing them from being able to use a harness correctly....

The longer a child remains harnessed according to the limits of the seat the safer they are -- it has been a safety standard in the racing industry for GROWN ADULTS to be harnessed & the physics are no different for children ... except that children are often too immature to use a booster correctly!

The child must be able to sit still for the entire length of every ride with the belt properly positioned across the collar bone for the booster to protect the child: not under the arm or behind the back & no slack in the belt cause by loosening the belt & the child must not lean out either.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Yes,yes,yes she still needs the harness at 3 yrs and 30 lbs! Minimum recommendation for a booster would be 4 yrs and at least 40 lbs but harnessing past that is much safer for your child.
There are seats that will harness her for a while or a long while and there are boosters that will fit a thin child well but unfortunately many combination seats ( those that harness and then convert to a booster at 40lbs) are not the best as boosters.
The experts here can steer you to some solutions though!
My dd was in a Comet until she got too tall but she still was well below the 40 lbs recommendation. I got her a Husky well over a year ago and she just now hit 40 lbs. I will keep her harnessed as long as we can in our main vehicles but will begin using a Parkway (very nice when you are ready) for occasional use in others cars. She is 8.
The laws regarding carseat and booster use vary greatly from state to state but the laws of physics do not. You will find many on this forum excellent in helping you find the most 'sensible' solutions there is in your situation.
Good Luck,
C.

U

Unregistered

Plus, boosters are not FAA approved! ( On your other thread you mentioned that you were looking for a seat to take w/ you on plane trips.) If she's three and you have to buy a plane ticket for her anyways it might be better to use her carseat on the plane vs. checking it with your luggage. That way you can be sure it doesn't get lost/damaged AND you know that your DD is safe! :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ah, yes, I missed that!

Deb, you said in the other post that kiddo is 3 yrs. 30# ~39" or 40" & you have Mazda Protege ... what year, please :confused:

Also, I hope you don't mind my asking -- you said you're not a mom; does this mean kiddo is your SO's child or is she a foster child? I've been the stepmom & the fostermom before, too & it's great that you're out looking for answers :) If you want to reply with Personal Message that's OK by me -- best of luck!

melaniev

I also wanted to point out that I find the 5pt harness a lot easier than reaching to buckle the regular seatbelt with a booster, until they can buckle themselves safely (maybe age 7 or 8 for us). (could be that im just more used to it?) Can you keep her in her convertible seat for another year or 2? Once it's in you can pretty much forget about it whereas my boosters always seem to move and get in the way, and you have to remember to buckle them in even if there's nobody in them.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hehehe -- thanks, Emily! I edited it (got rid of "men" & put in "adults") *WINK* :D I admit ... although we host the races nearby the only time I've had interest in them is to help "convince" my 7 year old SD to stay harnessed :p

& yes, Melanie -- my stepdaughter is now 8 & finds buckling herself into (and/or unbuckling out of) the Husky much easier than any booster & even compared to not using a booster with her biomom!
  • Here she is last year at 60# 52"
  • FFextended-BritaxHusky-FordEscape.jpg

D

deb

continuation

He has 2002 Mazda Protege sedan. In that car we currently use the sit and stroll, but one of the wheels broke off on our last trip and we don't feel the need to get it fixed. We rarely use a stroller anymore. The Sit and Stroll is not user friendly as just a car seat and it's very cumbersome to carry around when the wheels don't work. It is pretty narrow though. It didn't take up half the backseat.

I am her Mom. I said that I'm not a Mom that worries much about safety. I just try to follow the rules and make sensible, informed decisions.

She's 39mnths, 30 lbs and probably around 39in (according to the tape measure at the ice cream store).

Deb

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think the Evenflo Generations seat is a good combo seat and does make a good booster afterwards. It harnesses till 40# and then turns into a booster and has high top slots. You can get them at Target, sometimes Wal-Mart will carry the Bolero which is about the same thing.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
deb said:
I am her Mom. I said that I'm not a Mom that worries much about safety. I just try to follow the rules and make sensible, informed decisions.
Ah! OK, sorry -- I read it as "I'm not a mom so I worry" :rolleyes: :eek: Either way works, LOL -- worrying is part of the territory :D

Anyway, I actually prefer the Cosco/Safety 1st Intera ... it fits infants & toddlers through big kids ... the booster seems "better" IMO than other combination seats because it offers nicer head support (although no EPS foam) & can be backless for travel, although when it's used backless it's extremely roomy so I'd definitely recommend using highback ... also, it can be installed with or without the base which would give other passengers more room in the backseat.

Then again, if $ is not a big issue, the Recaro Young Sport fits my tall skinny (90th percentile height, 10th percentile weight) kiddo really well & then becomes one of the safest, comfiest boosters on the market!

I suggest seeing if you can test the carseats in the vehicle and/or let kiddo sit in them to make the final decision as it can add an ounce of cooperation *WINK*

U

Unregistered

deb said:
He has 2002 Mazda Protege sedan.Deb

FWIW...The Sunshine Kids Radian installs wonderfully in a Mazda Protege. I have a 2003, and I have installed my Radian with both the lap/shoulder belt and LATCH. Since your DH's Mazda is a 2002, I would assume it has LATCH, also? If it does, you can just use LATCH until DD hits 48lbs. Plus, the Radian is FAA approved, and I saw one installed on a Southwest flight I took recently for my job. I chatted with the mother, who told me it was very easy to install using the airplane lapbelt.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Excellent news! I hope that's true ... the Radian is the narrowest seat available & would be an awesome choice for safety & ease of travel :) :) :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Unregistered said:
FWIW...The Sunshine Kids Radian installs wonderfully in a Mazda Protege. I have a 2003, and I have installed my Radian with both the lap/shoulder belt and LATCH. Since your DH's Mazda is a 2002, I would assume it has LATCH, also? If it does, you can just use LATCH until DD hits 48lbs. Plus, the Radian is FAA approved, and I saw one installed on a Southwest flight I took recently for my job. I chatted with the mother, who told me it was very easy to install using the airplane lapbelt.

For us it was the easiest carseat to get on an airplane and installed. It was wonderful. I'm not going to get on an airplane without it until she's at least 40 pounds (like, in six years! LOL)

Wendy

D

deb

Thanks for the help

Thank y'all for the help. I think I have enough info to forge ahead.

Deb

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC