Question about carseat

U

Unregistered

I need to buy a new carseat for my 2.5 year old son who is about 37-38 lbs. I have him in a Comfortsport but his head is over the back and his shoulders are above the top strap level. I am looking into the Frontier and the Radian.
I will be passing the Comfortsport to my 6 mo daughter and want to get something with a harness and then booster. We borrowed and Evenflo for a trip and my son's head wasn't supported at all when he fell asleep. That is a concern of mine since he woek up often from being uncomfortable.
Are these my best options or can I wait for the new Graco one? (Nautilus?) I've read the posts about the Frontier problems, I like the feature of the headrest going up with the child's head.
BTW, I need to make a decision asap. :)
Thanks,
Anna

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If his shoulders are above the top slots, then he has outgrown the seat and you need a new one ASAP. You CANNOT wait for the Nautilus to show up unfortunately.

His head may or may not be okay, depending on where the tops of his ears are, but regardless, his shoulders are over the top slots, so the seat IS outgrown.

TerisBoys

The ComfortSport is notorious for being outgrown early. If his shoulders are above the top slots and ears are above the seatback, you CANNOT wait for a new seat to arrive in Canada. He needs one now.

The Frontier and Radian are both very nice seats. If you go with the Radian, you'll need to buy a booster down the road for him, BUT you'll have a nice tall convertible to move his sister into.

Another less expensive option would be the Compass/First Years TrueFit. It has a RF weight limit of 35# and a FF limit of 65#. Again, you'd need a booster later, but have a very nice, cushy seat to pass down to little sis.

I'll leave more specific recommendations up to the Canadians on the board - as well as where to shop tips.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for replying. That's what I thought. Arg.
Any suggestions for the carseat selection?
Anna

Misty-Bug

I like my Radian. It has tall top slots.
NOT MY PICTURE
radian_det_tab_65_specs_01.jpg

Aparently the Apex is good too but you need to have a headrest behind it. Or even the Britax Frontier.

But I will let a tech suggest more. And tell us whether mine were good suggestions or not. LOL. I am not a tech. yet.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Britax Frontier (Specialty Baby Stores/Babies R Us $299)... harnesses to 65lbs, converts to very nice booster

Sunshine Kids Radian (Specialty baby stores/online $229)... harnesses to 65lbs

Compass/First Years TruFit (Zellers/Babies R Us $199)... harnesses to 65lbs
-this one tends to have a natural recline when forward facing... very good for kids that sleep a lot in the vehicle

There is a comparison thread of the seats that last the longest in Canada (including these ones) in this thread.

The Britax Frontier is currently having some issues with *some* seats. A few owners are finding that if they only pull on one strap for loosening that the harness is slipping out of the splitter plate on the back. Which means it's not harnessing your child at all. This is easily remedied by only pulling on *both* straps (or the chest clip) at the same time to loosen. We have not had this issue with our Frontier, but it is something to be aware of if you choose this seat.

In your situation, I would probably go with the TruFit since you want the natural recline for sleeping.

Your daughter will most likely outgrow the Comfort Sport by 18 months - 2 years old (which is probably when your son outgrew it since he's already over the top slots). You can pass the Trufit down to your daughter at that time and choose a new seat for your son. By then the Nautilus would have made it's way up here and the Frontier issues should be solved and you will have more options for your son at that time.

A seat is outgrown forward facing when *one* of the following happen...
1. Weight limit exceeded.
2. Tips of the ears go above the top of the shell.
3. Shoulders go above the top slots.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Aparently the Apex is good too but you need to have a headrest behind it. Or even the Britax Frontier.

The Apex does require vehicle head support behind it.

The Frontier does *not* require vehicle head support behind it.

Not sure if you meant it that way, but thought I'd clear that up just in case. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC