SS1 lock-off problem

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Has anyone had a problem with the lock off on the SS1?

After having the base installed with seatbelt the lock off won't stay closed unless there is something in there. It is frustrating if I want to use LATCH because it doesn't close and stay closed and if it does it pops open super easily causing my seat to not fit on the base properly or to get stuck.

If the lock off isn't used for awhile (like sitting in my basement) it *sometimes* will close without anything being in the lock off but is still pretty touching and sensitive when it is installed.

I tried going to Sears for help and they won't help me because I bought it in February and they told me I should have used it right away. Yeah, my baby wasn't born until May :rolleyes: I also haven't been using the seat for over a month now because of this problem and because she doesn't care for. I would have gone in sooner but I live 2hrs from Sears and it isn't always convenient to just run there.

Anyways I always thought Sears was good at things like this but they insist that they will not do anything for you after 90 days. I really didn't want to have to contact Graco because I hate dealing with them.

Grrrrrrrr, I don't have time for this!

Okay, I'm done. Any suggestions?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Awe... I'm sorry Julie.

I'd probably call Sears and see if you can deal with a manager. If that fails (I'd also be really disappointed since they're generally so good), then I guess you'd have to call Graco. :(

Synchro246

nak

what if you put the end of the latch strap in the lock off so that it will stay closed? I do that anyway because it seems tidy.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
nak

what if you put the end of the latch strap in the lock off so that it will stay closed? I do that anyway because it seems tidy.

Is this allowed? I had asked someone and they said to contact Graco before doing it. I just haven't had time to call and they won't answer a email :whistle:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
If it's just the tail end, I can't see how it would affect the installation... provided you install the seat properly *before* you use the tail end of the UAS strap to keep the lock-off closed. *However*, I would want the okay from Graco before doing this.

Why not just install using the seatbelt and that way the lock-off is staying closed?

I know you're not using the seat right now, but this sounds like an issue you may need to bring up with Graco. :eek:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
If it's just the tail end, I can't see how it would affect the installation... provided you install the seat properly *before* you use the tail end of the UAS strap to keep the lock-off closed. *However*, I would want the okay from Graco before doing this.

Why not just install using the seatbelt and that way the lock-off is staying closed?

I know you're not using the seat right now, but this sounds like an issue you may need to bring up with Graco. :eek:

No i'm not currently using the seat and in our vehicle it is installed with the seatbelt. I do sometimes go with a friend in her van and because we need acess to the 3rd row I perfer to use LATCH so that after the seat is out we can still flip up the seat for the kids to get out.

I am going to go to our Sears outlet store and see what they say. They had told me to go into the city with it and then come see them if they wouldn't do anything. My only concern is that if I sell the seat they may not use it properly or have issues with this. I also don't care for having a seat that will expire in 5yrs from this december and a base that will expire a year later :whistle:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
My seat is in the car so I can't take a look at the moment but I'm positive the LATCH/UAS belt doesn't go through the lock off.

In the manual pg.37 it doesn't say anything about the lock offs and UAS.

On page 35 it also says:
NEVER allow any object other than the
vehicle belts to go under or interfere with the
lock-off. If any other part of the vehicle belt
interferes with the lock-off choose another
seating location.

ETA:
Apparently i'm not the only one (post 13 & 14) with this problem :rolleyes:

crunchierthanthou

My seat is in the car so I can't take a look at the moment but I'm positive the LATCH/UAS belt doesn't go through the lock off.

In the manual pg.37 it doesn't say anything about the lock offs and UAS.

I think that just means things like the plastic buttons on seatbelts or anything that would intefere with it closing. It's my understanding that all belts get routed through the lock-off, LATCH included. In the US version all the illustrations clearly show the LATCH belt routed through the lock-off. and the instructions on page 37 say-

Make sure LATCH is through vehicle/LATCH beltpath normally used for vehicle seat belt.

It references illustration 2, which shows the LATCH belt through the lock-off.

edit: yours is the same, except replace LATCH with UAS. :)

Synchro246

When you use LATCH, isn't the latch belt going through the lock off? Are you saying that even with the LATCH belt in the lock off, it doesn't stay closed?

No, the latch belt is routed under the lockoff :)

ETA-- you can kindof see it in this picture. I have the loose end of the latch belt laying over the lockoff, but the red plastic of the lock off mechanism over the latch belt--
IMGP1546.jpg

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
No, the latch belt is routed under the lockoff :)

ETA-- you can kindof see it in this picture. I have the loose end of the latch belt laying over the lockoff, but the red plastic of the lock off mechanism over the latch belt--
IMGP1546.jpg
That's exactly what I am saying, the belt needs to be routed through the lock off. It sounded like Jewels isn't using the lock off for the LATCH belt (although I may have misunderstood which is why I asked for clarification).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Look at the pics on page 15 of the manual and also the first pic on page 37. The LATCH/UAS belt clearly goes through the lock off.

o_mom

Look at the pics on page 15 of the manual and also the first pic on page 37. The LATCH/UAS belt clearly goes through the lock off.

Nope - the LATCH belt goes under the lockoff, not through.

With lockoff open:
SS1lockoff001-1.jpg

With lockoff closed:
SS1lockoff003-1.jpg

I have the same problem - it tends to pop open unless there is something under it. I don't see a problem using the LATCH belt tail for this, but you should probably confirm with Graco. I personally just used the belt to install all the time so I didn't have to use the crappy hooks. :)

Last edited:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I don't feel that the manual is really clear in what it means unless you actually do an install or have the seat right in front of you. When I bought the seat I read the manual and was very confused as to how to install it but after reading it and then installing it everything made sense. (does that make sense :confused:)

It's my understanding that all belts get routed through the lock-off, LATCH included. In the US version all the illustrations clearly show the LATCH belt routed through the lock-off. and the instructions on page 37 say-

Make sure LATCH is through vehicle/LATCH beltpath normally used for vehicle seat belt.

It references illustration 2, which shows the LATCH belt through the lock-off.

edit: yours is the same, except replace LATCH with UAS. :)

Right but the lock off really just goes under the lock off but is still in the belt path.

It looks like it goes through the lock off there but it is reallly is under it.

In the picture that Synchro246 posted she says the LATCH/UAS strap is under the lock off but she has the tail of the LATCH/UAS strap going through the lock off. So what you are seeing in her picture is the tail of the LATCH/UAS strap not the LATCH/UAS strap. It appears in Graco's pictures that it goes through the lock off but it is really under it. I do not see a way to take the LATCH/UAS strap off the base unless it were cut off.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Ah ha, gotcha now. For some reason, I recalled both the belt and tail going through the lock off on mine, but I am obviously remember incorrectly!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
In the picture that Synchro246 posted she says the LATCH/UAS strap is under the lock off but she has the tail of the LATCH/UAS strap going through the lock off. So what you are seeing in her picture is the tail of the LATCH/UAS strap not the LATCH/UAS strap. It appears in Graco's pictures that it goes through the lock off but it is really under it. I do not see a way to take the LATCH/UAS strap off the base unless it were cut off.
Ya, I knew which belt was which, I was just sleeping while typing I think. :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Ah ha, gotcha now. For some reason, I recalled both the belt and tail going through the lock off on mine, but I am obviously remember incorrectly!

It (the LATCH/UAS STRAP) doesn't get "locked" or "cliped" in the lock off. The strap goes under it so when you close the lock off there is nothing in it. The seatbelt goes through and the lock off clips the seatbelt or clamps it in so when it closes the seatbelt is inside it.

Last edited:

o_mom

[Removed quoted post which was edited - leaving the pictures just for reference]

Here's pictures in my van. The tan belt is the seatbelt, which goes through the lockoff, the LATCH belt is black and under the lockoff (oh, good, these came out smaller!):

SS1lockoff004.jpg

SS1lockoff005.jpg

SS1lockoff007.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC