Question Age to fit in marathon?

NannyMom

I was at BRU today and saw a smallish 6 month old in the MA, too small (lowest harness straps above her shoulders) I also saw a big 7 month old that was too small too. Both Moms were looking for a new seat after their infant seat (Snugride and SS1). They were debating Roundabout vs Marathon and were very very confused (as to which to get). I think they both decided to wait a little longer and get the MA. But I was wondering, how old (young) was your baby when they started using the MA?

ADS

lorinick

My ds was 7 mts. but in the Blvd. so I had the infant inset and the head wings really help to make it more cozy. He would have looked lost in the MA. I thought anyway.

munchkin

I started using the FPSVD for my nephew at around 2.5 months, when he was even with the bottom slots. (I had a rear adjust infant seat, which I hated.) He is a big baby, always been above 90% for both height and weight. Here is a pic when he was right at 2.5 months:

DSC00041a-1.jpg
DSC00040-1-1.jpg

fyrfightermomma

DD1 was almost 10 months before she *fit*. DD2 was around 5ish months, and was not quite at the bottom slots, however back then I believe you could use the seat even if they weren't even with the bottom slots (you no longer can)

But I have freakishly small kids!

MOM25BOYS

DS5 is not quite 6 mths yet, but I moved him to his MA and he fits very nicely.:thumbsup: He was only in the 7% and 10% range at his 4mth check so tiny by comparison to my other boys who ranged 50% to 90% at their 4mth check ups years ago.:)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper came home in a Britax Advantage and was the 1" away from the bottom slots that Britax oks. Her torso was UNBELIEVABLY long until she was 4.5 years old. I remember a CPST friend telling me over and over that the Advantage wouldn't work unless Piper's torso was just so very long, and I had a huge virtual tongue stinking out at her when Piper did fit.

So I guess for us the answer is 12 hours.

Wendy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
DN1 was in a Marathon by six months.
DN2 was in a Marathon/BV/Roundabout by seven months.
DN3 was in a Marathon by six months.
DN4 is going to move into a Marathon/BV/Roundabout any day. He is six months.

scoutingbear

We put C in his when we got him at 6 months (but we also knew next to NOTHING about car seats and we purposely purchased a convertible (just reading the 5-65 pounds on the box) since we didn't know what age kiddo we would get. I wish I had early pictures of him in it to know if he really fit or not. Probably. He has a very long torso and is on the 2nd to top slots of the MA (will have to move up if he grows at all). He also fits nicely in the Radian with the harness at 2nd to top slots (a little big, but passed the pinch test) and has his Chase on the top slots.

emandbri

Benjamin and Elizabeth fit around 2-3 months.

It depends years ago I had a friend who had a dd who was able to use the bottom slots on a roundabout forward facing at a year. I, of course, tried to get her to turn her back!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Piper came home in a Britax Advantage and was the 1" away from the bottom slots that Britax oks.

I just want to clarify for those buying a Britax convertible now, that Britax no longer allows babies to use the seat unless the shoulders are even with the bottom slots. Britax's stance on this has changed over time, and the current instructions for all their convertibles state to not use the seat unless the shoulders are even with the bottom slots.

I know my ds fit into the MA at 4mos and was well above the bottom slot - close the the 2nd from bottom IIRC. But he's also one who had an incredibly long torso as a newborn/infant - despite being 19" at birth & 5lbs when he left the hospital, he was above the bottom slots on the snugride. At 6mos old he would've been almost using the middle slots on the Radian, just for comparison sake...

So I'm not sure what age he started fitting the MA, but he would've fit fairly early on I'm sure. Maybe 2 or 3months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC