3 yr old RF in Scenera on an airplane

U

Unregistered

I know my DD is safer RFing. She is almost 3 yrs old and weighs 32 lbs, so I know she can RF in the Scenera. We're traveling via plane next month and I want to know if the airplanes would give me trouble for installing her seat rear-facing on the plane. I misplaced my Scenera manual, but I think somewhere it says in the manual to use the seat on the plane as you would in a car. What should I do or bring along with me so I don't get haggled? Thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If they hassle you, ask them to show you were in their manual it says you need to have her forward facing. They won't find it.

Here are the FAA regulations that state you may use the seat as the manufacturer states.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

HTH

Wendy

mom2juliarose

When DD was RFing I just told the people in front of me that they have a choice--either they won't be able to recline their seat because DD is RFing or that I can put her FFing and they can risk getting kicked then entire time. We always take long flights (3 hours+), and only 1 person has opted for DD to be FFing. And after the first 10 minutes I think she was regretting it (although I was trying to hold DD's feet, reminding her not to kick, etc.). Lucky for her, DD fell asleep about 20 minutes into the flight and slept the whole way.

I've never encountered a problem with a flight attendant, though.

Also can't you request the row behind the exit row? I could be wrong but I thought exit row seats can't recline, so being behind them would mean less complaints from the person in front of you not being able to recline...

U

Unregistered

hi - I'm the OP. Thanks so much for the replies, and thanks Wendy for the link. I'm going to print that off and take it with me!

U

Unregistered

If they hassle you, ask them to show you were in their manual it says you need to have her forward facing. They won't find it.

Here are the FAA regulations that state you may use the seat as the manufacturer states.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

HTH

Wendy

Ok, I just read through most of this document, but I don't see where it says you should use the CRS as the manufacturer states. What page/paragraph is it on? thanks.

U

Unregistered

Wendy, I'm sorry to be nit picky, but I don't really get how that section of the FAA helps me support having her rear-facing. It mentions in that statement that the child is secured in a forward facing car seat so long as they don't exceed the weight limits of the CRS.

Dillipop

The carseat must be on a forward facing plane seat. The child must fit into the weight limits of the carseat. The carseat has to have the proper stickers.

This is what I take from that paragraph.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The carseat must be on a forward facing plane seat. The child must fit into the weight limits of the carseat. The carseat has to have the proper stickers.

This is what I take from that paragraph.

Right. :) What Dilly said. What many flight attendants do is the same thing you've done. That it has to be a forward facing CARSEAT. No, forward facing plane seat. As long as it's on a forward facing plane seat, the weight and height is good, and the stickers are there you are allowed to use the seat as manufacturer allows.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC