3 Across in a Toyota

abemom2

Hi! We're thinking of maybe getting a car. With gas prices the way they are here in Canada we'd get a Toyota Yaris, or Corolla - if we could get 3 car seats across.
We have now a Radian, Scenera and soon to be replaced Snugride.
Is there a combination that would fit? What should the new car seat be?

Thanks

ADS

canadiangie

Hi,

I think I'd pass the Scenera to the baby and get your 2y/o a new seat. Since you have a Radian you could always get another one. I'd use LATCH to install the Radians, and put them both outboard. I'd install the Scenera in the middle using the seatbelt.

We recently test drove a Corolla and Yaris (both '08's). The Yaris is skinny in the back, but the above combo might work. The Corolla you should have no problem. Take your seats and try before you buy.

Now keep in mind some people have difficulties installing Radians in Toyota's with the seatbelt. And you can only use LATCH in Toyota vehicles until 40lbs (though some techs have said it's okay to go to the industry standard of 48lbs in a Toyota -- it's a topic of debate, that's for sure), BUT, I wouldn't discount the Radian as an option w/o trying it first. You never know, but you might get a successful seatbelt install. Since your 3y/o is just 30lbs now, you would have plenty of time to install the seat with LATCH. Down the road, when you switch to a seatbelt install, if you encountered a major issue, you could always look at some other seat (who knows what will be out by then, kwim?). For now, providing you can get a good LATCH install, I'd go for it.

I hope that makes sense. :thumbsup:

I'm all about the 3 across set-up, and I'm *really* all about fuel efficient vehicles these days. What we're paying per litre is insanity. :twocents:

abemom2

Thanks Angie, I forgot that Radians have issues in Toyota, I'll have to have it checked with a tech. It just that Toyota's take the least gas.

babychild taxi

Hi

I have an '02 Echo and can fit (all FF), a radian, cargo and parkway across the back. It's very tight and I have to pull out the booster for my little friend to get in, do the belt up and push the booster back in. When I bought this car I didn't know I'd be driving little people in it!

My other 2 friends are pushing 40lbs-I will look at the manual regarding LATCH limits as I can't get a good enough install with seatbelt alone, but an acceptable one according to a tech.

HTH

K.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC