help with Scenera in Echo

teekadog

I need to get my Scenera rfing outboard in my Echo. I can't get >1" wiggle using latch or seatbelt. I've been trying for a week. I think I've even returned this seat before because I couldn't get this configuration... But now I really need to.

Any tips? Thanks.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. I would tuck the LATCH away and stick to a seat belt install. LATCH tends to be a tough install with the Scenera. When you install with the seat belt, make sure that you have the seat belt routed under the lip that's close to the seat bight (crack). If it's routed over that lip, you'll have the toughest time getting the seat tight. Noodles may help too, both with angle and with getting the seat belt positioned under the lip. You can try locking your seat belt retractor by pulling the shoulder belt out all the way slowly, then letting it retract, but if it pulls up on the side too much, don't lock it and use a locking clip instead.

I always move the front seat up as far as it will go and stand behind the seat leaning over it. I stick my hand in the belt path and pull on the shoulder belt as close to the latchplate as I can get (pull the cover up first). This usually gets me a good install in a few minutes. Remember to test for the install right at the belt path.

HTH!

tiggercat

What year is the Echo? I got an excellent install in my friend's 2002 Echo RFing with Latch, passenger outboard side. No noodles needed for recline, either (rare with a Scenera, usually I use 3 noodles on them).

I agree with the previous poster, you need to make sure the seatbelt (or LATCH strap) is correctly routed around the lip on the side of the seat. Once you're done that, climb into the vehicle so that you are standing crouched over facing the rear of the vehicle, with your belly or thights at the "head" area of the carseat. Now push back and down on the child seat while tightening your LATCH strap. Wiggle side to side while tightening. Then check tightness at the belt path, looking for less than 1in of side to side movement. The top of the seat will move a little bit.

Any chance you can find a CPST to help you?

teekadog

I have an '00 Echo. I don't think they changed much from '00 to '02?

I think I'm routing the belt (and LATCH strap) the right way, per the directions in the Scenera manual. It is going under that lip. I've tried 4 different, various size, noodles, each with LATCH and belt. I've also tried it without anything, and that gives me the best recline for my 3yo, but it still won't fit.

I know I'm not explaining this well, but it feels like it is too wide between the LATCH connectors/seat belts for the car seat. As tight as I pull the belt, once I'm done, the car seat can still literally slide from one side to the other, between the anchoring points.

tiggercat, you give me hope, and will try yet again. I am thinking of looking up a CPST. But I don't know how I would get there, as I can't very well drive my child to a seat check in a seat not securely installed, yk?

teekadog

Oops, dh reminded me we do have an '01 :eek: (I forgot because we bought it in '00). That may have been the first year for LATCH. I know we had to have our top tethers upgraded, not sure about the lower ones.

thanks! my bad!

tiggercat

I know I'm not explaining this well, but it feels like it is too wide between the LATCH connectors/seat belts for the car seat. As tight as I pull the belt, once I'm done, the car seat can still literally slide from one side to the other, between the anchoring points.

Can you take a photo for us? Sometimes that can help us figure out what the stickling point it. Are you pushing the seat down and into the seat bight as you install? It should wedge deeply into the back and bottom of the seat cushion.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I'm guessing since you had to have the top tethers upgraded that you don't have lower anchors. Did you check the vehicle manual to be sure?

Susan

teekadog

I do have lower anchors. The car came with LATCH, but within the first year they realized the top tethers needed to be reinforced. So they did that. They did not need to upgrade the lower anchors.

I can't post a picture.

I will keep trying. I'm not completely new to this car seat game. I've had kids long enough to have had to destroy expired seats. I have put several seats and configurations in my Echo. It's this damn Scenera that defeats me. I've never been *absolutely* happy with its install anywhere. It's great that it's cheap, lightweight, and rfs to 35lbs, but other than that it's a pita.

thanks again for your help

babychild taxi

Hi-just to let you know that when you are ready to FF the Scenera it can be installed well in all positions in the backseat. I used one in the middle and got a great install for my little friend before she outgrew it (she's a big toddler).

If the LATCH doesn't work RF, I'm wondering if you could put the seat in the middle using the seatbelt as it may give you more room to work with the seat.

HTH

K.

teekadog

You all have given me hope! I tried again, and while not to my standards, the install is much better. Thank you :D I will keep trying.

I have no trouble with it ffing. It was ffing in the middle last year when dh only had to drive 4yo dc to school in the mornings. Now he has to take 5yo and 3yo dcs, so 5yo is in the middle in the Ride Safer, and 3yo has to be outboard, rfing, in the Scenera.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC