flying with scenera

AlisonR80

We are going to WDW next week and I have a scenera to use. We've never used it in the car, though i installed it in dh's car to see how it fit since it will be going back in there.
Anyhow, after reading another flight thread now i'm worried that the FA will try to harass me about the seat. Do i need to print all 15 pages of the FAA regulations? Will that be good enough?

Also, how hard is it to install the scenera RF on a plane? Is there anything special i need to know? Is my son allowed to ride in it during the entire flight? i hope so!
Thanks for any tips

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your son is allowed to be in it for the entire flight. In fact it's highly encouraged.

It'll install on the plane like it does in the car. You'll probably want to put the armrest up and out of the way, though, to make your life a bit easier.

Did you buy a seat for your son? If so they cannot legally tell you not to use it. Not to say they won't hassle you, but you have the law on your side. Printing out all 15 pages wouldn't hurt, though I think there's a specific part (page 6/7?) that talks about using it rear facing.

We've flown a LOT with Piper. I don't know how many miles she has. Over 100,000 would be my guess. In fact I'm sure of that. I've been hassled three times on American carriers and then shown the ignorance of European carriers. I've been asked to show the sticker a few times, normally as I get on board. Find where your sticker is so that way if they ask you know where to point them to quickly.

When you get to the gate ask the gate agent if you can preboard. I find they don't announce preboarding anymore, but when I say I'm traveling with a child and a carseat and I need a bit of extra space to work with to install the seat (I generally travel alone with Piper) they'll nod me on first without making a big to do of it. If we're traveling with my husband I'll often board myself and get the seat on, then they board later. The number of times I've actually had to board with my ticket zone/group (I don't have status on any airline enough to put me in the first group regularly, not like my husband does) have been few. Maybe twice? Maybe. They'll either let me on, begrudgingly let me on ("We don't normally allow this...."), or tell me I can get on as soon as first class is onboard.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

MomToEliEm

Anyhow, after reading another flight thread now i'm worried that the FA will try to harass me about the seat. Do i need to print all 15 pages of the FAA regulations? Will that be good enough?

I have found it best to print the entire document so they can see that it is the "official" document. I have only had to present the document twice to the flight attendants to get them off my back, and I am so thankful to have the document. Without it, one of my daughters may have been forced to ride in a regular seat (my two instances were when I had an infant and a 2 year old so I did not want them in regular seatbelts).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC