Question Frontier on Airplane???

nlmom

Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience. I know it is FAA approved, but it's always great to read a first hand account. It's not about the purchase. We already have the frontier and love it. My ds is 2 (will be 3 in the fall), but is 39lbs and about 39". We have an upcoming trip, and are taking the seat with us. Would love for ds to use it on the plane for safety and familiarity. It just seems so large that I'm a little concerned. Hence, looking for the first hand confirmation. TIA

ADS

mamabear

Hmmmm...I've only flown with our Roundabout and Marathon.
Well, I'm pretty sure it will fit width wise in the airplane seat.The person next to him may be a tad squished, you may not be able to put the plane's seat armrest down.Depending on what airline you fly and what type of plane it is will make the seat width vary. The Frontier is approx 19" wide, and most airline seats are 17"-18" roughly.you can view a chart here and find your airline.
Also,I just think it's really heavy to lug through the airport. Maybe someone could chime in if it will fit on a Gogo kidzTravelmate or similar??

Citrine

You could always buy another car seat. We bought the Nautilus just for our trip. That is FAA aproved and it is pretty light weight.

nlmom

Hmmmm...I've only flown with our Roundabout and Marathon.
Well, I'm pretty sure it will fit width wise in the airplane seat.The person next to him may be a tad squished, you may not be able to put the plane's seat armrest down.Depending on what airline you fly and what type of plane it is will make the seat width vary. The Frontier is approx 19" wide, and most airline seats are 17"-18" roughly.you can view a chart here and find your airline.
Also,I just think it's really heavy to lug through the airport. Maybe someone could chime in if it will fit on a Gogo kidzTravelmate or similar??

Thanks for your response. I'm not worried about lugging it around... that will be dh's job lol I had previously called the airline (West Jet) and we will be flying on a boeing. The seat size is 17"... and the frontier 19" hence why I have some doubts. But i can't see it being aircraft approved if it won't fit. It would just be nice to hear that someone else has successfully used it. Just don't want to board the aircraft to find it doesn't fit.

nlmom

You could always buy another car seat. We bought the Nautilus just for our trip. That is FAA aproved and it is pretty light weight.

I'm Canadian... I haven't seen the nautilus for sale here yet. The frontier became available earlier this summer. I had to special order to get it in. I love it! It is suppose to be FAA approved... once again.. I'm just looking for a first hand account.

mamabear

The seat size is 17"... and the frontier 19" hence why I have some doubts. But i can't see it being aircraft approved if it won't fit. It would just be nice to hear that someone else has successfully used it. Just don't want to board the aircraft to find it doesn't fit.

Just because the Frontier is wider than the seat doesn't necessarily mean it won't fit. The middle person may have less room, and the armrest will have to be up, but it should still fit. I think there are a good number of passengers who's rear ends are wider than 17" too:whistle:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Marathon is the same width as the Frontier (at their outside measurements next to the thighs/hips).

I was able to install a Marathon and *just* lower the armrest on an Air Canada flight (3 seats on each side of the aisle)... so I'm thinking you should be able to install a Frontier.

We also have a Radian and fly with that (I :love: that seat for flying)... so I won't ever be testing out the Frontier on a plane.

nlmom

Just wanted to provide an update! We successfully used the frontier on west jet in September. West Jet gave us absolutely no grief about using the seat what so ever... they were fantastic. It was a tight fit... couldn't put down the arm rests on the middle seat and ds was too high to use his tray. But ds was comfortable and safe and a complete angel the entire trip down and back. I will not deny it.. it was a pita to be lugging around our carry on luggage a stroller and a car seat... but we managed :thumbsup:

Mommy090804

Thanks for the update! We have some friends that fly frequently, and are waiting for the Nautilus to come to Canada. I had recommended the Frontier (which she bought last week during the Britax sale), but wasn't so sure how it installed on the plane. They usually fly AC, but sometimes fly WestJet, so your info is quite valuable. Once again, thanks for the update.

mama2three

Just thought that I'd add a successful use of the Frontier on AirTran. DS was able to use his tray and everything. It wasn't nearly as tight as it is in my car, but I assume that's normal since my Radian wasn't either. It seemed secure enough. Haven't flown with children before now, so it was a new experience for me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC