SCARY seat "install"

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Your post is going to rub some people the wrong way. Misuse is rampant across the board. That said, immigrant/minority communities are often at a disadvantage for a number of reasons. Agencies often don't have the resources to provide outreach in other languages, and there are cultural considerations at play. For example, many countries don't have restraint laws, and some cultures are fearful of the police (or any authority), and therefore avoid checkup events because they're afraid of their children being taken away. Not to mention that they might not be able to afford seats and might not know where to go (or be to afraid to find out) for resources that can help them.

Unfortunately, he doesn't understand the need to teach others the importance. I told him about this truck and explained if they crash, the poor child will die. All he could say was "I'm sorry for her". :mad: He doesn't like to get involved....

What would you do???

Unfortunately, you can't save the world. If you're comfortable speaking up to people, by all means, mention something once--nicely. After that, there's not much you can do.

Of course, if someone is breaking the law, you can always call the police.

NannyMom

I hope this post didn't offend anyone. I know they're not doing it because they're stupid or don't care. I know it's because of lack of knowledge or understanding.

:mad:

I'm sorry, I just won't say anything anymore. Every time I try to help someone, people on this board get angry. Well, you know what? I'll just help myself from now on, and forget about everyone else.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I hope this post didn't offend anyone. I know they're not doing it because they're stupid or don't care. I know it's because of lack of knowledge or understanding.

I'm sorry, I just won't say anything anymore. Every time I try to help someone, people on this board get angry. Well, you know what? I'll just help myself from now on, and forget about everyone else.

I know you weren't trying to offend anyone, and I know you're trying to help.

When I said you can't save the world, I didn't mean YOU can't save the world; I meant NONE of us can. Believe me, we all feel your frustration. Unfortunately, there's only so much we can do, and people often aren't receptive to our attempts. Many times they're quite hostile.

If you feel comfortable speaking up, do it, but don't be upset with your husband for not getting involved--it's a tough position to be in.

And like I said, if someone is doing something truly dangerous, a call to the police might be your best bet.

lovinwaves

I'm sorry, I just won't say anything anymore. Every time I try to help someone, people on this board get angry.

From what I can see one person responded to your thread. Her post seemed very upfront and honest with you, and included some great information. She obviously was not trying to upset you.

I am very interested in your story. You can try reposting it if you want :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

I didn't infer that the response was angry or inappropriate. I think it's one of those cases that it might come across in writing differently than if spoken. A few different people could get entirely different impressions of the intent, depending how they read it.

Please feel free to repost!

NannyMom

Ok, maybe I was a little irrational last night (and tired and stressed over things happening at home). I know things can be misinterpreted in type. I took the response to be that you were upset that I posted that. I think my point of the post was to vent maybe. The child using the carseat is really my neice (which I did not state in the post) and because of the argument my BIL had a long time ago, I'm really powerless to do anything. THat combined with some negative feedback I got to something else I posted just threw me over the edge I guess.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Trust me all of us feel your frustration. There are many days I leave work feeling defeated and thinking to myself "Why do I care about these kids then their own parents do?" This will be a question all of us that work in this industry feel at one point if not daily. Like Jennie said and I agree "We can't save the world."

To be honest I don't even confront parents that I see with blantant misuse out in public anymore. There are to many dangerous people in this world and I can't risk mine or my children's life. Parents HATE to be told they are poorly parenting or protecting their child. That brings out the crawls and in some that could lead to a dangerous situation.

Now if it someone I know then yes I will say something but only once or twice but if they are not receptive there isn't much I can do and I leave it at that. I just pray their their child is one of the lucky ones that is never involved in an accident.

I did respond to your other post and I wasn't in anyway trying to be harsh. I was trying to protect you from liability esp since your not a tech and your doing installations. Good Samaritian laws won't protect you because you have not been trained and even though your "good work" could be precieved in a court of law is acting with malice (sp?) because you could putting someone else at risk. One of the 1st things we are taught in our CPS class is to document everything and have the parents sign it after the fact. This covers our rears from a lawsuit.

We are not the ones installing it it's the parents doing the install. Trust me I know your not trying to do harm and only wanting to help these parents better protect their children. I would HIGHLY encourage you to get certified but even then you meantion you hated working with other. You need to get experiance under your belt. I don't even fly solo due to liability and I am instructor. This way it doesn't become a he said she said type of situation. I have a witness to everything. Plus I have someone else to bounce ideas off of if I come course a tough installation. Trust me we all get them and we need help. If your by yourself you have no one.

The CPS world is all about working as a team. We all work together for one common goal protecting children in the vehicle.

Also many are not aware getting involved in a Safe Kids coalition/chapter is not all about CPS. Safe Kids is an injury prevention orginzation. They cover a LOT of preventable injuries (drownings, in and around car dangers, children left in cars, bike, pedestrian safety just to name a few. These are other at risk areas that more volunteers are needed to get the word out. For example "Know Before You Go" is Safe Kids water prevention education. Are you aware drowning is the #2 preventable injury? I know Safe Kids is in great need of "Know Before You Go" instructors to go out in your community and teach water safety to families, churches, communities with pools, etc.... How would you find out about all these other at risk areas if your not involved.

Again, Nothing I have said is just directed at you but anyone on here that is doing installations for strangers that is not trained & certified to do so. I don't mean any of this to be harsh or come across as such. I just want to pain a bigger picture of all the good that Safe Kids does for the communities and also to protect you from any dangers or possible liability.

NannyMom

Thank you Jenny.

I don't hate working with others, that just wasn't my plan. I have nothing against work seat checks with other Techs when it fits into my schedule. My plan in becoming CPST was to help my church (for members, and as an outreach to the community), help my friends, and this 1 pregnancy center for low income mothers (they have helped me alot, and I want to be able to give back). If other techs want to help, wonderful. I didn't realize that most techs don't work on their own? THe CPST-I that I go to always works alone and never asks anyone to sign anything. SHe is one of the best. Also, when I do checks for the church and pregnancy center, there will always be someone from that organization as a witness.

I'm coming into this not knowing alot. I knew to keep DD RF until at least 30 pounds because my CPST-I will not turn FF until 30 then. I didn't know about Extended Harnessing, my 2 charges were both in NBBs and now 1 is in GN and 1 in HBB. I've learned alot here. I know there's more to learn. If my plans are a bad idea, let me know. I guess when I take the CPST course, they'll give me paperwork or at least examples of paperwork for parents to sign?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Thank you Jenny.

I don't hate working with others, that just wasn't my plan. I have nothing against work seat checks with other Techs when it fits into my schedule. My plan in becoming CPST was to help my church (for members, and as an outreach to the community), help my friends, and this 1 pregnancy center for low income mothers (they have helped me alot, and I want to be able to give back). If other techs want to help, wonderful. I didn't realize that most techs don't work on their own? THe CPST-I that I go to always works alone and never asks anyone to sign anything. SHe is one of the best. Also, when I do checks for the church and pregnancy center, there will always be someone from that organization as a witness.

I'm coming into this not knowing alot. I knew to keep DD RF until at least 30 pounds because my CPST-I will not turn FF until 30 then. I didn't know about Extended Harnessing, my 2 charges were both in NBBs and now 1 is in GN and 1 in HBB. I've learned alot here. I know there's more to learn. If my plans are a bad idea, let me know. I guess when I take the CPST course, they'll give me paperwork or at least examples of paperwork for parents to sign?

While I think your plans & goals are awesome and great areas to help service the community. I would first get involved with other techs and let them see your skills. This way you can then have support and do events at these orginaztions that you want to help.

I understand you will have a representive from that org there but when I say another set of eyes. We techs should always have another tech to over look our installation to make sure we didn't miss something or do something in error. Trust me even the best techs from time to time miss something.

I am sorry but if your CPSI isn't making parents that she is working with fill out paper work that would send red flags up so high to me. I don't care how good she is that is down right scary for you esp if your working with her. Are you aware of the HUGE liability she is placing on you & herself. That to me is not a good CPST/I at all because she is breaking rule #1 of being a CPST which is DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT! And, If she is doing this out of a Safe Kids fitting station they would not be happy either.

Yes, During your class you will get a manual that has the Safe Kids forms but these can't be used unless it is a Safe Kids check event due to it having their liability waiver on it. You can alterate & remove their logo to fit your needs. I will say get involved with Safe Kids because if it is a Safe Kids event then Safe Kids will provide all the techs liability insurance for that event. You could even go as far as helping make one of these sites a perment fitting station under Safe Kids which will provide all your events at this location with liability insurance. Our hospital fitting station is run under Safe Kids.

First step get yourself certified and get experiance under your belt.

NannyMom

Ok, so I guess I'll try and do seat checks with Safe Kids before I do them on my own. THe woman teaching the course said she's pretty sure my CPSTI has extra insurance since she made her driveway a permanent fitting station. My CPSTI told me I should apprentice with her before I start doing them on my own, IF I won't be doing them with Safe Kids. The woman with Safe Kids told me after I finished the course, I'd be good to go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC